Ex coming back to house

taffy01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2051 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, can my ex still come back into our house when they like? My ex chose to leave our jointly owned house 2.5 years ago and move in with a relative they would occasionally come back to pick something up and would text me when but never with a a time. We both pay half the mortgage but I'm registered to live here they are registered at their other place.

Lately they are coming back with only 10 minutes notice and when I'm at work they have been removing some small items of mine and reading my opened personal mail.

I've told them that they have to give me 24 hour notice and I will text back with an agreeable time. Their solicitor has written to me stating that they can enter the house as and when they like with no notice to me surely there is some notice they have to give me and only at a reasonable time.

Can some wise person please advise with what laws or legal argument that I can quote back to their solicitor about my rights, if any. As its our joint house, we are tenants in common there is no landlord and no tenancy contract.

I'm not stopping them from coming here it's just feels wrong that they can just come in, we don't speak only by text so I only contact through their solicitor. We plan to sell the house in the near future Many thanks T

Edited by Andyorch
Paras

You are tenants in common. They own a share of their house, and have a right to enter to access their property.

Buy them out or crack on and sell the property.

Lock away any opened mail / items you don’t want them to have access to in the meantime.

It sounds like your ex is a co-owner of the house. He/she is therefore entitled to enter the property. He/she could move into the property and live there if she/wanted.

Of course removing your stuff would be theft and opening mail addressed solely to you could be an offence under The Postal Services Act 2000. Both are points you could mention in a response to the solicitor.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS