£52k debt on dmp and young onset dementia diagnosis - help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband at 55 has just been diagnosed with young onset dementia,

he has £52k in unsecured debt in a DMP and we have mortgage arrears I have been managing for several years as he was being treated for anxiety and depression, I assume caused by the mis-management of our family finances ( a seperate issue), something that only came to light after he was made redundant in 2012.

My question is how to move forward

- I am unable to pay these debts (in his name) as I only work part time and have no idea how much longer I will be able to do this with his diagnosis and need for care and he has not been able to claim benefits during most of this period as the dwp declared him fit to work twice

- he received esa for the assessment phase and despite support from GP he was declared fit to work.

when he applied a second time he was advised he did not have enough contributions - vicious circle.

I have much to deal with moving forward but would appreciate advice on the debt above- unsecured.

I have spoken to the debt management company who advised I should contact the debtors myself.

I am in the process of obtaining an LPA financial.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Please advise details of debts.

Type of debt, approx date when credit was originally obtained, when last made any payment, whether debt in husbands sole name or joint debt. Please list them giving approx current debt balance for each debt.

Any assets such as property ?

Without more information, difficult for anyone to offer advice.

Don't do anything until you have enough knowledge to understand best way forward.

Edited by dx100uk

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

the debts are all in his name

- loans and credit card debt mostly and an overdraft on a closed bank account.

I would have to check the exact details regarding when they were taken out but all prior to 2011.

regarding payments

£5 is made monthly to each creditor by Stepchange to date.

We have a joint property which is heavily mortgaged (several remortgages without my knowledge but that is another story) with little equity which I don't want to use to facilitate his debt because his dementia will mean a need for familiarity moving forward.

I appreciate you response and apologise for my vagueness.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Who are the £5 payments being made to ? Original Bank/loan companies or Debt Collection Agencies ?

What is happening in regard to paying regular mortgage payments ? Any arrears ?

For one party to take out loans/mortgages without a joint owner being aware, suggests that new mortgage/loans have been completed without giving true information or the loan companies have failed to make relevant checks.

What income have you got coming in to pay the debts ?

I think both your husband and yourself need to arrange to obtain professional financial debt advice. I am not sure you would share every bit of personal information on an internet advice forum for anyone to properly advise you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I would suspect? most of these debts are blindly being paid off to DCA's?

ask stepchange for a complete list [though you should be able to do this yourself at their online portal]

DCA's are totally powerless but stepchange will never question that nor the enforceability of the debts he has.

pers i'd stop paying them NOW.

you will not be made responsible for them and I bet that 99% prove unenforceable

ok it will take a bit of work your way, p'haps the las thing you need

but id say you are 99% guaranteed to rid yourself of most of the worry from this side of things with what you are already going through.

as a side note: there have been increasing successes here recently of debts being wiped out if a good letter regarding a debtors health is sent, esp if the debt is paid to a dca and they cant produce enforceable paperwork

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thankyou for your reply

- looking at the StepChange details it looks as though they are 50/50 with DCA's and the original lender.

StepChange advised me to contact the lenders direct and ask them to write off the debt given my OH diagnosis which is devastating in itself at 55 but I don't have LPA in place yet so unsure if they will deal with me.

Thanks for the reply

- debts are 50/50 with original lender and DCA as I can see.

The only money we have coming in is my part time salary and my OH PIP and help from family.

Mortgage is in arrears but I have managed to clear most of it and we should be arrears free by December

- this accumulated by arrangement between my OH and the lender

- advising him to skip a payment for almost a year!

I am aware that what my OH did when taking out further advances on our joint property was out of order at best

- but I believe the morgage lender has a duty to make necessary checks to ensure everything is above board and they failed to do this on more than one occasion.

you might paying a dca but do they own the debt?

you'd have to check his credit file.

see who shows for each debt as the owner.

when you def know who the owner of each debt is

write to them as if you were him

ask for the debt to be written off because xyz

don't waffle or make it too long.

there is this letter

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387360-Ask-your-Creditor-to-Write-off-your-Debt-**Correct-as-at-October-2013**

but it will need adapting

p'haps better to do one of your own

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...