Hope when mental illness strikes - MBNA wrote off £13K Card Debt

shedder101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don’t know if this will be of interest, hopefully for people in the same circumstances it will be.

The history of this is a little personal but I feel it needs to be said.

In 2005 I had a breakdown, I had a MBNA credit card with £7000 credit limit when I went on a spending spree and in the interim I applied and got another MBNA card with £6500 limit.

During the time of my illness I ran both cards up to the max and I was struggling to make the min payments as I also had several other cards at the time.

got these cards by simply applying for balance transfers they were throwing them at me.

Needless to say I defaulted on the two MBNA cards.

I wrote to them explaining my situation that I was now on medication and to offer a smaller amount of monthly repayments.

I made the lesser payments each month and each month they marked it as a late payment default and the balance continued to rise.

Eventually I stopped paying, a couple of letters and emails from them stating I was in default.

It then went to MBNA debt office, these people were quite aggressive in their emails demanding payment in full and threatening debt collectors.

I then wrote to them asking for the charges they kept adding to the account for late payments, I wasn’t late I just didn’t pay the minimum, I also blamed them for putting me in this position, they kept increasing the credit limit so I kept spending and in my condition I had no idea what I was doing.

Now on medication, I wrote a strong letter complaining they were the reason I was in debt and they should give me the discount on the advance charges as well as the extra interest cost, I had no reply.

Two months later I received a letter from MBNA saying they had written off my debt of over 13k and closed the account.

On checking my credit report it shows as closed balance 0

this came as a shock as I had a Tesco card with a large debt on who wouldn’t talk to me regarding my illness and instantly passed it to Frederickson’s.

I hope this might help others who suffer mental illness and not to let the credit card co bully them.

Edited by dx100uk
edited

had my SD Set aside thanks to CAG

won with lowells thanks to CAG

dont ask me though these are the people to help:D