BRITISH GAS - HUGE Debt Issue from Ex Partner

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI,

Wondered if anyone could help - I'm posting this for a friend of mine:

Female with 3 kids under 18 lives in home previously shared with ex partner, who left 3.5 yrs ago. He has left BG bill in his name for all 3.5 yrs and and said he'd been paying it all along. BG have NEVER written to the female partner.

On Saturday ex partner decided to try and take his own life and was sectioned. BG letter arrives on doorstep next day and my friend opens it to find its chasing £1700 bill (all still in ex partners name, not addressed to my friend (the female))

She's called BG and explained, and only after she explained he'd been sectioned would they even speak to her. They have as a result told her she is responsible for the full amount and have almost forced her (wouldn't allow any other options and basically said take it or leave or we';ll send debt collectors after you) onto a 50 month repayment plan for the £1700.

She lives int he house and she uses the utilities. She has not has a bill in her name from BG in the entire time she's lived there. it's always been in ex-partners name.

Is there any legal route out of paying this money due to BG being threatening (They were on the phone) and the fact is his debt not hers?

Many thanks in advance.

The account is not in her name nor is she party to the agreement.

If they wish to change the account to her name they can only back bill for 12 months. (given that she has had the benefit of the service)

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-backbilling-your-rights

" You're responsible for paying the gas and electricity bills at your property if you asked for a supply. You can also be responsible for the bill, even if you're not named on it, for example if:

you've just moved in and have started consuming energy

your fixed term contract with your supplier has expired and you're still using gas or electricity at the property

the person named on the bill has left the property but you're still using the gas or electricity supply."

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/nireland/consumer/energy/energy-supply/energy-bills/understanding-your-energy-bill/who-is-responsible-for-paying-the-energy-bills/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread