• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Nursery poor service - complaint, now court - advice please

123kc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

We have had a terrible experience with a local children's nursery and I wanted some advice before I submit a case to the small claims court for a refund of our fees not used.

After researching various nurseries we chose this particular one which ticked all of the boxes for us.

A relative worked there, we were assured at the initial show around that communication with parents is key and a sheet is filled out daily containing all of the details of the day (food eaten, wet/soiled nappies/milk consumption/activities).

A key worker would be allocated so we could have a smooth settling in process.

Being new parents all of this was very important to us.

We felt happy with our decision, read through the policies and procedures which detailed the above and signed the contract along with paying the deposit.

Unfortunately none of this materialised when our child attended the nursery.

Two settling in sessions were held where we dropped our child off for 2 hour periods.

We did not meet the key worker nor did we receive the information sheets

- given it was for a short period we didn't question the report sheets

however we did question when we would meet the key worker.

The key worker allocated was on long term leave with no immediate date of return so the other workers would chip in and help.

We therefore did not have the chance to bond with a particular individual at the nursery.

I should mention this nursery has children of all ages mixed together in one room.

After this our child spent 2 full days at the nursery.

Both times we again did not meet the key worker,

communication was poor,

no report sheets provided and therefore at pick up no-one could give us details of what our child had eaten/drank/nappies changed etc.

This was not the service we were promised when we signed up.

We were feeling very uneasy and wanted reassurance so we asked for a meeting with the nursery manager.

The meeting got unnecessarily heated.

The manager felt attacked by our concerns and was very defensive.

It was confirmed that the production of the daily report communication cards had been halted for 2 weeks due to the hot weather

- something to this day which still baffles us.

This had not been communicated to parents.

Additionally the allocated key worker still had no return date.

At the meeting it was clear the relationship had broken down and the manager confirmed the nursery was not right for our child.

We followed up with an email later that day confirming our child would no longer be attending the nursery.

I should mention too that during all of this we received information from an ex worker there that safety standards were not being met (child to adult ratios),

poor hygiene was observed (feeding babies with same spoon at mealtimes).

This person has chosen to remain anonymous however a complaint may have been submitted to Ofsted by them

- something I am unable to confirm.

This information coupled with our experience clearly resulted in a loss of confidence in the nursery.

Monies

- we had paid over 500 pounds on what ended up just 2 days care (48 pounds per day).

We requested a refund due to the breach of contract as they did not deliver the service they agreed.

Within the contract they request one months notice and we would therefore not be entitled to any money back.

A goodwill offer of just 150 pounds was proposed to us which we reluctantly agreed.

When I have chased for the monies a week later they have responded confirming they have changed their minds and they will not be refunding any money to us.

Clearly frustrated I feel I have a case to pursue this however would like some advice.

Thank you in advance for your help on this.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Thank you. Would you suggest the letter be a final 'warning' as such?

What I say is true and they have confirmed in writing agreeing with the fundamentals... no report cards, no key worker etc.

However they believe we are at fault in all of this claiming 'separation issues' and I believe they will defend themselves.

We have since placed our child in a new nursery and the experience has been completely different.

LBA is a final warning...and ask for a full refund..not just the £150.

Give them 7 days to comply or you will issue a claim.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Andy. Is this LBA appropriate? I'm not sure whether or not to mention the safety and poor hygiene issues in this letter.

Letter before court claim

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: breach of contract by xxxxxx Ltd

I am writing in accordance with the Practice direction on Pre-Action Conduct with regards to the matters, detailed below, which have arisen between us.

xxxxxxx have failed to provide key aspects of the childcare service which they had contractually agreed to. These failings include:

Failure to provide daily communication report cards to parents

Failure to allocate a key worker

As a result of these matters I am entitled to and intend to claim the sum of £402.

I would like a reply as soon as possible so that I know you have received this letter. If you dispute my claim I can confirm that I would be agreeable to mediation and any other system of Alternative Dispute Resolution in order to avoid for this matter to be resolved by the courts.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 10 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against you in the county court without further notice. This may increase your liability for costs.

I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules, and in particular to paragraph 4 which sets out the sanctions the court may impose if you fail to comply with the Practice Direction.

I look forward to your acknowledgement.

Yours faithfully

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Andy - yes we signed a contract however their policies and procedures do not form part of their T's and C's of the contract (not sure if this would be fair or not)

Ethel - no I haven't yet, I am going to contact them this week. I've had to find another nursery at short notice as I have gone back to work full time (it has been very stressful for me)

Their contract is poorly written, throughout it they refer to it as being 'the boring stuff' - probably should have rang alarm bells from the outset.

Edited by 123kc

Andy - yes we signed a contract however their policies and procedures do not form part of their T's and C's of the contract (not sure if this would be fair or not)

Ethel - no I haven't yet, I am going to contact them this week. I've had to find another nursery at short notice as I have gone back to work full time (it has been very stressful for me)

So their T&Cs does not include .....?

"Failure to provide daily communication report cards to parents

Failure to allocate a key worker "

Their T's and C's just contain details of when payment is due and what's due from us if we were to end the contract, the hours they are open etc. It doesn't contain details of how they will look after the children.

They have a separate document detailing their policies and procedures but this does not form part of their T's and C's of the contract.... if that makes sense?

But surely that separate document forms part of their T&Cs of the agreement...as part of the services offered by the agreement.

Submit the LBA as is and see what response you get....now they realise this is getting serious.

Andy

That's what I think - however the management there confirmed that their policies do not form part of the contract. I'm unfamiliar with contract law and his statements have made me doubt myself.

Thinking about it they could stop performing basic care requirements and expect not to be in breach of contract as this also is not covered in their T's and C's so his statement is ridiculous really.

I am reporting them to Ofsted today too so will keep you posted. Thanks again for the advice.

A contract arises when an offer is made to one party, which is then accepted by another.There must be a clear intention on both sides to be bound by the terms of the agreement.

A promise does not become a legally binding contract unless the following three elements exist:

An agreement – which is created by the offer and acceptance of specific terms or obligations;

An intention to create legal relations and form an agreement which is enforceable by law and;

Consideration – where one party promises to do something in return for receiving a right, interest or benefit promised by the other party.

As per the link I provided above.

Your choice...as long as you have proof of sent/delivery

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

LBA sent and response from them confirmed this will be contested.

I have made a claim to the courts and have received a response today this will need to go to a hearing,

Does anyone have any advice? Feeling very daunted and anxious by the whole process.

" I have made a claim to the courts and have received a response today this will need to go to a hearing, "

What date did you issue your claim ?

What are the particulars of claim ?

How do you know it will go to a hearing the defendant has 33 days to respond and submit a defence.

Complaint issued on 18th September

I received an email from the Money Claims website saying this:

Defendants response:

xxxxxxxxxx has rejected your claim. You’ll have to go to a hearing to resolve it.

You need to complete a directions questionnaire form to tell us more about the claim.

Your claim will be cancelled if you don’t complete and return the form before 4pm on 14 October 2018.

I am able to see their response which contains false information.

I'm sorry what do you mean by particular's of the claim?

So they are defending the claim...normal process and now it goes to allocation (Directions Questionnaire N180) which transfers the claim from Northampton to a local county court (yours if they are a Ltd Company/Business)

Standard procedure...particulars of claim are what you wrote as the reason for your claim ......the reasons you are suing them.

Thanks Andy - here is an extract of the particulars:

When choosing a day nursery for our daughter, xxxxxx promised several services as part of the care they provide to families. These were verbally communicated to us at the initial show round and are contained within their company's policies and procedures. Based on the information received from them, we were happy with the services they offered, and we emailed xxxxxxx requesting a place for our daughter.

The relevant paperwork including the contract was signed and returned, along with paying the deposit of £306, securing our daughters' place. We also paid for the first months fee’s in advance costing £240.

Two of the key services they provide were not met on the four occasions our daughter attended the nursery. These services were:

1. A key person would be assigned (this is also an EYFS requirement applicable by law)

2. Daily report cards would be filled out containing details of what our daughter has eaten, nap times, how much milk she has drunk, a brief description of her activities Both services are of high importance to us as our daughter would have been attending the nursery 4 days per week. Having a key person would allow our then 10-month-old daughter to bond with a certain individual and the report cards would keep us adequately informed with what she had eaten and drank throughout the day.

An email received from xxxxx later confirmed ‘daily report cards can be suspended and or changed to a new system at any given time by the company without consultation with our clients’. This was not explained to us prior to signing the contract nor is this mentioned within their policies and procedures. If we were aware of this, we would have chosen a different childcare provider for our daughter.

Within my complaint I expand on the above and provide the timeline of events.

Their defence is that I was abusive which then terminated our contract immediately - which is not true. Their response states they have 2 witnesses to back up I was abusive but these were just the two members of staff we met to discuss our concerns.

Due to this I'm worried.

Just chipping in here:

you should put up your claim in PDF format and also the defence in PDF format. It is essential that the people who are helping you here are fully informed and have the exact document in front of them.

Secondly, any published policies will be considered to be part of the contract in addition to terms and conditions. They are a series of related documents which inform the agreement which you have with the nursery. Make sure that you get screenshots of them all and you will eventually include them in your court bundle.

Thirdly, I would suggest that you send an FOIA request to OFSTED – you never know what other issues have been raised relating to this nursery and which could be helpful to you.

Your worried that they defended the claim?

Its normally expected that a defence will be submitted whether it contains a valid/meaningful or truthful response is irrelevant at this stage...they will obviously defend.

Complete the N180 and state no to mediation yes to small claims track ....state your local county court and 1/2 witness...you and your better half if you both wish to give evidence.

The rest of the questions a re obvious tick boxes.

Use the following to complete it on screen...looks far more professional

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?406099-LEGAL-N180-Directions-Questionnaire-(Small-Claims-Track)-**Correct-at-Sept-2016**

Run 3 copies...1 for court 1 for the defendants sols (assuming they are represented) and 1 for your file.

Post further when you receive the Notice of Allocation (n157) in response to the above.

Andy

Thread moved to General Legal Issues in view of the claim issued.

Thank you so much for your help. Complete forum newbie.

I have attempted to attach the pdf files removing any personal details so hopefully it has worked.

The whole process is just making me feel extremely anxious even though we have done nothing wrong.

Thank you BankFodder for confirming their policies form part of their contract - I will raise a FOIA request with Ofsted.

Andy - by stating no to mediation am I not putting myself in a bad light with the courts?

Thanks again - all of the information here is really helping me. Just wish I was less worked up about it all.

Defendant.pdf

Reason for claim.pdf