Go Safe made an error on my dates

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry for going in to so much detail but I think it is relevant.

I tried several times without success to book myself on a speed awareness course. A message stated that as my course was to be taken very soon I needed to ring them.

I tried to ring them several times but as I work during the day and the waiting time was so long I had to give up. I did finally get through to them only to be told that yes I was too late to go on a course. I was told to ring Go Safe, who have the responsibility for issuing NIPs and offering Speed Awareness Courses.

I finally got through to Go safe and explained my situation. I was told that everything was fine and they could see no reason why I was not able to take a course. After double checking again I was assured that I should be able to get on a course if I ring them again.

As I was about to end the call the lady at Go Safe said just let me check one last thing. I was then told that an error had been made and they had my final date to take the course down as 31/07/2018 and not 31/08/2018 and I only had 2 hours left to get on a course that had to be taken before 31/08/2018.

I finally got myself onto a course in Telford 122 miles from my house as it was the only course available before 31/08/2018.

I then recieved an email to say forget the 2 hours just do a course before the 31/08/2018 and the matter is closed. This is Go Safe sort of admitting responsibility for the error.

My question is: Where do I stand on claiming travel for a 240 miles round trip for a course I could have taken a mile away from my house. Should I request an extension to allow me to go a a course nearer to home as the courses are done by the same people?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Dik Turpin

Of course you have a less expensive alternative and that is to accept a Fixed Penalty (£100 and three points).

You have no absolute right to a course, or a Fixed Penalty for that matter. They are concessions which may or may not be offered (or accepted). If you don't like the conditions under which you must accept it then simply turn down the offer.

Whatever you decide to do you need to do it quickly. In the same way as there is a deadline to accept and do a course there is a similar deadline (usually four months from the date of the offence) to accept a Fixed Penalty). Dither beyond that and the offers will be withdrawn and you will face court action.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm booked on a course but because of the error my only option was 120 miles away. I was informed at 8am this morning that I had just 2 hours to get myself booked on a course and this was the only course available at the time. I was then informed by email that because of their mistake they had waived the 2 hours and I had as long as I needed to book a course but it had to be completed by 31st August.

I fully understand that I can take the fine and points. I'm not disputing that!

I also have as much right to a course as anybody else in the same situation and surely there would be strict guidelines about abrogating any offers.

I'm just looking for advice on what other options I may or may not have.

I also have as much right to a course as anybody else in the same situation and surely there would be strict guidelines about abrogating any offers.

And they offered one and you took it.

Doesn't matter where it was. You were offered one.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I also have as much right to a course as anybody else in the same situation...

That is to say, none whatsoever. Nobody has any right to be offered a course, whatever the circumstances, and there is no appeal against not being offered one. It is entirely at the discretion of the police (or camera partnership, as appropriate).

I appreciate you are seeking options. You have two: take up the offer as you have booked (for it seems you will not be able to do a course otherwise) or turn it down and face either a Fixed Penalty of court action. There is absolutely no chance of you being paid travelling expenses to attend the course. I doubt the course providers even have a mechanism to make such payments.

I wasn't offered anything all courses in my area were fully booked before the 31st August

I was initially informed that I had only 2 hours to book myself on to a course, so I asked what courses were available in other areas. Telford was my only option.

Had go safe not made an error with the dates, I would have been able to book myself onto a local course a couple of weeks ago.

Doesnt matter.

They can offer you one anywhere they want at their discretion.

They can easily revoke it too and say sorry, no course.

3 points and 100 quid thanks.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Yes, renegadeimp is absolutely correct.

It's unfortunate that errors were made but that's tough.

You don't have any rights in this matter at all.

The critical point is that once it gets beyond four months you will not be offered anything at all because enough time has to remain to either get the course booked and completed or get the Fixed Penalty accepted and complied with.

They cannot begin court action whilst those offers are outstanding.

They have to be withdrawn and court proceedings begun before six months from the date of the offence.

Once again, your claim for expenses will be refused.