style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2058 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for any help guys,

I am just going through old letters and paperwork to sort out and have just opened a letter from Collectica regarding an old HMCTS debt.

This must have been an old court hearing regarding somebody saying I hit them from behind.

I never did and in fact it was the car next to me speaking a language I could not understand that had hit the car.

There was no damage to any cars and I phoned the police at the time to make them aware.

We are going back some 7 years.

At the time There was a court hearing that I did not attend (I was going through a very difficult at the time with hospital and letters was the last thing on my mind)

upon coming out of hospital (1 month in) I attempted to sort the mess out and did a stat dec.

Rather silly but I got the date mixed up and missed the court date by 1 day.

fast forward and I have a letter from collectica

dated mid july 18

warrant of control and gives 14 days to contact them.

We are now 30 days ahead.

I know I should not be paying a single penny I never touched any car.

But that wont stand up aywhere and there is a 2k amount that I guess I just dont have a say in other than to pay it and shut up.

I am hoping for some advice in terms of perhaps setting up a payment plan and not to have baliffs turning up at the door.

thanks for any help guys it is much appreciated..

you sure this is for car damage and not a PI claim?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

fine for what?

ring HMCTS and find out whats behind it..

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You mention that the letter was dated approx a month ago. As you had not responded to Collectica to make a payment proposal within the 14 days, it would be usual for an enforcement visit to have made an enforcement visit by this time.

The only way to stop enforcement is to either pay or to approach your local magistrates court to request a hearing for a Statutory Declaration. The court MAY advise Collectica of the application but this is not guaranteed.

Edited by Andyorch
Quote removed

I have already made a stat dec before and I got the date wrong so never attended.

I am going to try and ring them tomorrow give name and dob and see what they say.

Unhappy to make a payment plan and pay for something I did not do but for an easy life will accept that if it is an option.

Perhaps it has already gone to far though if it has been passed onto an outside company.. ?

I have done a fair bit of reading tonight and it seems that I am stuffed and the only option is to make payment in full.

It is unlikely that agents will accept any kind of a payment plan.

Amount is for over 2k and my understanding is that they can ultimately force entry.

so what were you fined for..do you know?

and they

It has to be linked to car incident that I was blamed for (genuinely I did not touch any bodies car but that is not the point here).

this letter has come out of the blue but I don't want partner getting knock on the door from the local thugs.

well you need to find out what motoring offence you've committed

ring the HMCTS as advise 24hrs ago...……

no good speculating findout!!

if you've moved since the incident then everything went to your old address, you wouldn't know anything about it till bailiffs arrive.= your current situation

and they

yes, will call in the morning. Not sure that it matters what the offence was though does it? they want 2k regardless or are you seeing an angle?

this is the first letter regarding this at my current address.

well if you didn't receive anything prior then someone has dropped the mic here.

don't just roll over and accept what you are going thru.

once those in the know have the details...rather than guessing

then p'haps we can limit the damage .

and they

I am not persuaded that this debt relates to a road traffic accident unless of course you were charged with criminal damage (which would account for why the debt is being enforced as a criminal court fine).

Please do post back once you have spoken to the court. Given that the offence had been approx 7 years ago, the account would be managed by the HMCTS Historic Debt Team. Their telephone number is: 0300 1239252

ok it turns out this is linked to 2 separate incidents

going back as far as 13 years!

criminal damage and not paying for a train ticket.

The court said the total amount was just under 2k but I not that baliffs are asking for more than 2.2k .

They have only written 1 letter which I believe they can bill £75 for but not sure how they are getting to the higher figure. Without adding it up it looks as though they have already charged for a visit but they have certainly never visited.

Courts would not deal with me in terms of payments which I knew after reading a lot on this forum.

So guys should I just get my card out and settle this?

yes

so was ye old historic debts teams

shame about the train one as the majority of those can mostly be settled out of court but too late now.

glad you resolved it.

and they

there is no harm in writing to the bailiff Co and asking for a full breakdown.

they'll have no choice but to accept a payment plan

the only issue might be your side in how much they want PCM over how many months to clear it mind.

it wont be many months either

im not sure if back history has any relevance here but in case it does

can you outline what happened in each case, the train fair and the criminal damage

did you simply ignore everything

or moved away not getting any paperwork or what

dates would be useful too.

it could be that the smallest detail to you means nowt

but to the experts means loads.

and they

It turns out this is linked to 2 separate incidents going back as far as 13 years!

Criminal damage and not paying for a train ticket. The court said the total amount was just under 2k but I not that baliffs are asking for more than 2.2k .

They have only written 1 letter which I believe they can bill £75 for but not sure how they are getting to the higher figure. Without adding it up it looks as though they have already charged for a visit but they have certainly never visited.

Courts would not deal with me in terms of payments which I knew after reading a lot on this forum.

With the debt to the courts being £2k, I would suggest that at present, you focus on this and not so much on the fees charged by the enforcement company (which by the way, would most likely be correct.....after all, the Notice of Enforcement is dated ONE MONTH ago and unless you have been at home all day, every day, since that time, you would not know for certain whether a visit had or had not been made).

I would assume that my suggestion to you to ring the Historic Debt Team was correct. If so, then you would need to be aware that all debts under their control are ones that have been difficult to collect mainly because of changes of address etc. If is for this reason, that many of these debts become subject to a Section 14 Statutory Declaration.

Taking each debt individually, were you previously aware of these court fines?

Did you make any previous payments to the courts in relation to any of these fines?

Did you ask the HD team for confirmation of the address where all previous correspondence had been sent?

If so, were you living at that address at that time?

Yes I was aware of all court fines and believed they would go away. I was young and it was about 13 years ago.

I am surprised tbh that they still stand after so long.

I believe letters would have gone to parents address but mail would not have been passed on.

payment of less than £100 have been made.

I did not make these payments.

I can only assume somebody else paid this using an incorrect account number.

100% I have not paid anything.

I did not ask about address but years ago letters had gone to parents address but I have not lived there for many years now.

I don't wish to get into conflict with these people over the phone.

would you advise, email or phone call?

Yes I was aware of all court fines and believed they would go away. I was young and it was about 13 years ago.

I believe letters would have gone to parents address but mail would not have been passed on.

Payment of less than £100 have been made. I did not make these payments. I can only assume somebody else paid this using an incorrect account number.

100% I have not paid anything.

I did not ask about address but years ago letters had gone to parents address but I have not lived there for many years now.

You mention that you were aware of both fines and that payments of £100 had been made to the courts (maybe by your parents). With this in mind, it would be very difficult indeed to apply to court for a Section 14 Statutory Declaration given that such an application would normally be permissible if made within 21 days of you 'becoming aware' of the fine.

You are wanting to know whether you should telephone Collectica or email them. What it is that you want to discuss? Are you looking to set up a payment plan?

why would I want to record the call?

That is the advice from this forum.

Nobody attached to me paid any of the fines.

Some how somebody unconnected to me has paid into the wrong account.

And yes to discuss a payment plan.

It does not seem like I have any other option.