Job seekers and mobile phone question

sophie77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am on JSA and my work coach has asked me to get a mobile phone. They have stated they will pay for it but I am not happy for personal reasons (which I don''t want to share with the work coach). Since I already have a phone in the house is this something they can insist on and is there anything I can say to discourage it?

Yes! You are not prepared to suffer the adverse effects of microwaves on your brain is one that I'd use. It's medical and the reason is legitimate.

The "medical" reason is very much open to debate, and current research suggests that there is no link between mobile phones and cancer or tumors. Current advice from the NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mobile-phone-safety/

A similar statement from the World Health Organisation: http://www.who.int/features/qa/30/en/ Although, the WHO do state:

Scientists have reported other health effects of using mobile phones including changes in brain activity, reaction times, and sleep patterns. These effects are minor and have no apparent health significance.

One thing both do agree on: The use of mobile phones contribute significantly to road traffic accidents. Do not drive and use a mobile phone.

As for an answer for the OP, I would be asking the JCP who is responsible for paying the bills and the cost of replacement in the event of the phone being lost/stolen/broken. As you already have a fixed telephone and a valid email & postal address, the JCP (or potential employer) has three methods making contact. If the work coach needs to make contact, a phone call to the fixed line would be the first option. If that fails, an email can be sent. Should the email bounce, the work coach can write a letter (the work coach can write can't he/she).

If you want to go down the conspiracy theory route, tell them that you have no wish to have your movements tracked by any builtin GPS tracking app.

As for forcing you to carry a mobile phone (even if they offer to pay for it). I'm not sure they can. Perhaps telling them that you are not willing to accept responsibility if the phone gets lost or damaged would suffice in shutting down the idea.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I would contend that email more than satisfies the requirement of being "easily contacted". It may not be as instant as a phone call or text message, but then how many employment opportunities require an immediate response.

Many thanks for the replies, I agree exposure to phones isn't healthy but DWP will likely follow the official line suggesting there is no link. Also I could ask about who is responsible for costs but if they say they will accept them then that puts me back to the same problem.

Many thanks for the replies, I agree exposure to phones isn't healthy but DWP will likely follow the official line suggesting there is no link. Also I could ask about who is responsible for costs but if they say they will accept them then that puts me back to the same problem.

Always providing you can get a signal.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are previous threads on this subject where claimants have been sanctioned for missing calls from the JC.

Which provides an even better reason for not having a mobile phone or the JCP not having any telephone number on file.

Many employers/agencies now use mobile phone contact, calls and messaging , as part of their standard process. This is particularly important to employers who quickly want to fill roles that become available.

You don't have to have a mobile phone to comply with any JSA commitment, if there are other methods of communication. But if you want a job, then you stand more chance with a mobile phone, where you can be contacted at any point in a day and don't miss any opportunities. By the time you respond to an email, it might be too late.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They will use the discretionary fund to buy you a dumb phone for £10 try to negotiate for something better then when they ask you for the number refuse. You can withdraw your consent for them to hold your Email address and phone number from their systems at any time.