Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Gold Account Holder Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : May 2006

Default Buying s/h car? - now found faults!!

We are about to buy a 4x4 Shogun and have put down a deposit. The car has brand new tyres all round on the drive wheels.

As an after thought I inquired about the condition of the spare tyre. It has 4mm of tread so legal however the tread is different to the tread of the new tyres. On a 4x4 it is important that the treads on the same axle are identical otherwise you could damage the diff.

Can I reject the tyre as not being fit for purpose to use on the 4x4? We like the car as it is immaculate otherwise and is being sold by a reputable dealership and we were thinking of a 50/50 arrangement for a new tyre to be fitted.

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    Gick Informative Gick Informative Gick Informative Gick Informative Gick Informative Gick's Avatar

Cagger since : Jul 2011

Default Re: Buying s/h car? - now found faults!!

I am not sure where you get the information that the tyres on the same axle should be 'identical'.
    They should certainly be of the same rating and similar tread, but identical would be difficult to achieve.

You have a brand new tyre of the same make etc as the drive tyres, and you drive 10,000 miles and suffer a puncture.
    When you fit the spare it will not be 'identical' due to the wear over the 10,000 miles.

It is true that a 4 wheel drive can suffer 'wind-up' if the tyres are not sufficiently similar but this is extreme,
    you are just as likely so experience it if all your driving is urban where the number of rounabouts means that there is a higher proportion of right turns so that the left wheels are going further than the right wheels!

What you should do is treat the spare the same as you would a space saver on a non 4x4,
    reduce speeed and length of time used before having the drive tyre repaired.

I suppose it would depend upon how much the dealer wishes to sell you the vehicle as to whether he would agree to such an arrangement.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.
    I have no legal qualifications.
    If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the star. Thank you
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative Surfer01 Authoritative

Thanks.
    On the Jeep Grand Cherokee which was permanent AWD it was a big No No as told to me by the Jeep dealership and also information off Jeep forums.

I assumed the same would apply to the Shogun?
    If dealer does want a 50/50 arrangement I will get it done myself for peace of mind as we tow a caravan and that may not be good if there is a difference in the wear and the tread of the spare tyre.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    CraigMcK Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2012

All I can say is my Subaru which has perm 4WD has a space saver wheel, so I can only assume it's not a universal no no to use a different wheel/tread configuration at least not for the short time to fix the original.

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

Default Re: Buying s/h car? - now found faults!!

My landy has normal road tyres so I dont see it as an issue but yes, if you have 4 knobbly off roading tryes and a normal tyre as a spare it does rather devalue the purchase so try negotiating a discount bearing this in mind and then replace it at your leisure. 50 off or whatever half of a new tyre costs seems reasonable as you are thinking but by changing it yourself rather than making them do it makes it easier for them to say yes

The dealer was aware that we use the vehicle on the continent and in France I am told it is illegal to have tyres of different brands and treads on the same axle.

Basic Account Holder
    Gick Informative Gick Informative Gick Informative Gick Informative Gick Informative Gick's Avatar

Cagger since : Jul 2011

Surfer, the following is a translation of the French Highway code in relation to tyres:-

Legal obligations

Since 1995, the Highway Code imposes the following rules:

It is forbidden to ride on motor vehicles and their trailers:

* tires of different structures, excluding any temporary spare tire;
    * different types of tires on the same axle, whether single-wheeled or dual-wheeled;
    * Tires with a load capacity index or a speed category symbol lower than the maximum capacities provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

When the Highway Code prohibits mounting tires of different structures on the same axle, it means that the tires must be both:

* same brand
    * same dimension
    * same category of use (eg road, snow, all terrain)
    * same structure: radial or diagonal
    * same speed code
    * same load capacity index

The Highway Code also states that:

* "The 1.6 mm wear indicator indicates the minimum legal gum height."
    * "The difference between the depth of the main grooves of two tires mounted on the same axle must not exceed 5 mm.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.
    I have no legal qualifications.
    If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the star. Thank you
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Gick View Post
    Surfer, the following is a translation of the French Highway code in relation to tyres:-

Legal obligations

Since 1995, the Highway Code imposes the following rules:

It is forbidden to ride on motor vehicles and their trailers:

* tires of different structures, excluding any temporary spare tire;
    * different types of tires on the same axle, whether single-wheeled or dual-wheeled;
    * Tires with a load capacity index or a speed category symbol lower than the maximum capacities provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

When the Highway Code prohibits mounting tires of different structures on the same axle, it means that the tires must be both:

* same brand
    * same dimension
    * same category of use (eg road, snow, all terrain)
    * same structure: radial or diagonal
    * same speed code
    * same load capacity index

The Highway Code also states that:

* "The 1.6 mm wear indicator indicates the minimum legal gum height."
    * "The difference between the depth of the main grooves of two tires mounted on the same axle must not exceed 5 mm.

Okay so I am correct that I cannot have different brands and tread on the same axle?

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details