Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Site Team Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2013

Default Re: Can a Debt Collection Agency charge you for a negative review?

Quote Originally Posted by August1976 View Post
    Please let me know if you can read it, the writing is very small.
    Question: Is this the contract you agreed to when accepting their "services" or is it one they have sent post review ?

Having conducted a very short search last night, I found plenty of negative reviews along with some pretty scathing comments about the directors in the press. Are they going to levy the same fees across the board... Very unlikely.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    August1976 Novitiate

Cagger since : Aug 2018

I will check when I get home what contract they sent initially.

I came across the poor reviews as result of a google check when they were failing to answer any emails.

I will also check the date in which they changed their t&cs to include that section 3 h? I wonder if it was after the last negative review posted.

Just to say thank you so much for all you replies so far, much appreciated

Basic Account Holder
    Jase1982 Novitiate

Cagger since : Sep 2006

Surely in some way it would be more financially beneficial for them to drag it out and then chase you for this extra fee. I think they knew this company was going into administration and this probably happens all the time. Sounds more like something you'd see on Watchdog! Can't be a fair contractual term surely to charge ten times an original fee for a negative review... that again makes it in their interest to receive a negative review. Absolutely batty.

Royalties Account Holder ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom's Avatar

Cagger since : May 2009

Love to see them explain it all to a Judge.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    August1976 Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Question: Is this the contract you agreed to when accepting their "services" or is it one they have sent post review ?

Having conducted a very short search last night, I found plenty of negative reviews along with some pretty scathing comments about the directors in the press. Are they going to levy the same fees across the board... Very unlikely.
    Hi
    Yes this is the T&C's they sent to us when we accepted their services.

An Alex Baker Left a poor review on the 2nd July 2018, this set of T&C's were in affect from 2nd November 2017. I wonder if Alex got his threatening email. Even more interesting that 5* review was put up on that website for SMD today

The deadline has now passed and I am yet to hear from them by email at least, to say I'm worried is a bit of an understatement

Basic Account Holder
    August1976 Novitiate

One quick question, is it worth sending them an official letter of complaint?

Many thanks

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

Cagger since : Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by August1976 View Post
    One quick question, is it worth sending them an official letter of complaint?

Many thanks
    Wouldn't bother.....let them issue an invoice or better still a court claim.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    August1976 Novitiate

OK thank you

Gold Account Holder king12345 Informative king12345 Informative king12345 Informative king12345 Informative

Cagger since : May 2007

By the way they write you can easily work out that they are illiterate bullies.
    No even a 5 year old kid would write a formal letter in such format.
    Sounds like a teenager organising a pub crawl.
    Ignore and hope they take you to court, the judge would probably crucify them in Trafalgar square

Basic Account Holder
    August1976 Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by king12345 View Post
    By the way they write you can easily work out that they are illiterate bullies.
    No even a 5 year old kid would write a formal letter in such format.
    Sounds like a teenager organising a pub crawl.
    Ignore and hope they take you to court, the judge would probably crucify them in Trafalgar square
    Hilarious that's just made my morning.

I've had more emails from them in the last 24 hours than I ever got over the 3 months they were supposed to acting on our behalf.

Site Team silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961's Avatar

Cagger since : Oct 2008

Hi,
    This thread has made me laugh. The sheer cheek of this guy is a wonder-NOT!

If he feels so badly about it, improve the service and stop crying when someone leaves an honest review. We should have the company name in the title so his web robots will pick up this thread and show just how wrong he is

We also have a review section on CAGicon where honest reviews are welcome.

We could also copy over some of the negative reviews from other sites and post them here. I'm sure this guy would be happy to see that we are an equal opportunities site.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.
    Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor
    Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE
    Follows
    Following

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

Pers id block and bounce the email ad now
    Let's see if the can write

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    August1976 Novitiate

I have put my out of office on until next week but will work out how to block their emails. I wonder if they haven't emailed yet because they are writing to us instead?

I will add a review on here too

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

you should have used the response of Arkell v Pressdram.

Lets face it, they werent going to sue you as the amount they are threatening you with is more than ithe limit for the small claimicon track at county courticon and they would then have to pay all of your costs when they lost, not just the cost of a day out. That could have been in the hundreds of thousands if you employed a most expensive barrister.

Apologinsing for their error is stupid enough but not as stupid as pointing it out to them,
    you should have let them do their worst and then once it was down on a court form point out the elephant in the room.
    By playing along you have made things worse for yourselves.

these companies rely on smoke and mirrors,
    have no authority to do anything in the first place
    and as you now know rely on false comments to stay in business.

The next poor sod wont appreciate a pack of lies as a review, regardless of why it was written.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    August1976 Novitiate

Many thanks for your reply that's made me feel a lot better

Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

Stand up to them and they will just crawl away as they are playing poker with a busted flush. Once they know you know this their game is up.

Anyways, unfair contract, planty of case law on thsi going back more than a century. Also a comment left is subjective so cnat be part of a contract, you could argue it is a wrok of art and not a comment about them at all

Basic Account Holder
    August1976 Novitiate

So nearly a month on from this I get an email this morning from SMD (I blocked them all so it came from an unknown employee) saying

Sue and Jay ,

It is Andy here , tried calling telephone but unable to leave a voicemail message , off the record can you call me please Regards this situation that has been going on with Google reviews and an Invoice you have received from my Director Mr Hassall , it will be escalated by himself .

I stated that I will call you , so if you want to call me ASAP I will try and stop this , my Director will Action a Statutory Demand , you can call me on 07583 716397.

Regards
    Turns out they have emailed me an invoice for £12,000 on the 10th September (found it in the SPAM folder) and its due today.
    Do I just carry on ignoring them? Can they apply to bankrupticon us or close (‘wind up’) our company if we do not respond to the statutory demand within 21 days.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

bounce if back.
    ignore

they cant serve anything by email.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Site Team silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961's Avatar

Cagger since : Oct 2008

If they did issue a SD, this can be set aside. If they were serious, they would have issued a proper court claim. Any term can be judged unfair by a court and this one certainly is. As for issuing an SD for 12,000, NAH!

Unfortunately, if they do issue an SD, then you have to go to court to get it set aside.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.
    Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor
    Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE
    Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    brassnecked Authoritative brassnecked Authoritative brassnecked Authoritative brassnecked Authoritative brassnecked Authoritative brassnecked Authoritative brassnecked Authoritative brassnecked Authoritative brassnecked's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox1961 View Post

Unfortunately, if they do issue an SD, then you have to go to court to get it set aside.

At which point their dodgy T & C's can be shown up as very silly indeed.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details