Could failure to respond to email a failure to act?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Could a persistent failure to respond to two emails and a phone call be seen as a failure to act?

Background

Person A took a company B to Tribunal on age discrimination grounds

Person A asked his agency C for relevant documents

Agency C failed to respond despite two emails and a phone call

Person A now makes allegation of victimization against the agency C

Agency C is now claiming that person A had the document that is why they didn't respond

Person A didn't have the said document!

However, my question would be: why didn't the agency respond to the first mail and say: "mate, you have these documents so we are not providing them"?

I believe agency had a duty to respond to the email even if they truly believed that person A had the document

In which case, I see that as a failure to act hence a victimization claim

Please your views and any relevant case law

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Could a persistent failure to respond to two emails and a phone call be seen as a failure to act?

Background

Person A took a company B to Tribunal on age discrimination grounds

Person A asked his agency C for relevant documents

Agency C failed to respond despite two emails and a phone call

Person A now makes allegation of victimization against the agency C

Agency C is now claiming that person A had the document that is why they didn't respond

Person A didn't have the said document!

However, my question would be: why didn't the agency respond to the first mail and say: "mate, you have these documents so we are not providing them"?

I believe agency had a duty to respond to the email even if they truly believed that person A had the document

In which case, I see that as a failure to act hence a victimization claim

Please your views and any relevant case law

Thanks

Victimisation

(1)A person (A) victimises another person (B) if A subjects B to a detriment because—

(a)B does a protected act, or

(b)A believes that B has done, or may do, a protected act.

(2)Each of the following is a protected act—

(a)bringing proceedings under this Act;

(b)giving evidence or information in connection with proceedings under this Act;

©doing any other thing for the purposes of or in connection with this Act;

(d)making an allegation (whether or not express) that A or another person has contravened this Act.

(3)Giving false evidence or information, or making a false allegation, is not a protected act if the evidence or information is given, or the allegation is made, in bad faith.

(4)This section applies only where the person subjected to a detriment is an individual.

(5)The reference to contravening this Act includes a reference to committing a breach of an equality clause or rule.

I assume that the above is what you're hoping will apply?

Has A suffered a detriment as a result of C's failure?

I assume that the above is what you're hoping will apply?

Has A suffered a detriment as a result of C's failure?

Yes this is what I'm hoping would apply

The mere fact that Party A has to go through the inconvenience and stress of getting a Court Order is a detriment (in my view)

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...
What documents are being requested?

I'm not so sure that having to make an application for third party disclosure is a detriment. It's just part of the process.

Party A asked agency C for "all" documents

While "all" document isn't specific but party A expected something

Agency C should have written back to ask party A what exactly he (party A) wanted

I personally would have expected agency C to have treated it as a DSAR and sent A's personal data

In any event, I see the silence as victimization

The silence is unlikely to be considered "victimisation" by a Court for a number of reasons (It is not clear whether you would ask the Tribunal to make such a finding or the County Court).

However you can invite the company to provide the documents sought within seven days or you will make an application to the Tribunal for a Third Party order...

The silence is unlikely to be considered "victimisation" by a Court for a number of reasons (It is not clear whether you would ask the Tribunal to make such a finding or the County Court)....

Just curious

Please, what is the "number of reasons"?

You didn't state them

It is a Tribunal case though

Thanks

Mainly because you have a legal process and a party is not required absent specific matters i.e. an SAR to provide documents. A court order however is the correct course of action to obtain documents. Therefore a court will not uphold such a claim against a Third Party in this way.

Then a simpler position, the third party is just that... It is therefore not a party to the original victimisation.

Of course the OP can lodge a County Court claim notwithstanding what i have said above, but a reasonable lawyer defending will get the claim dismissed with costs.

Edited by JasJules

Ok thanks for this

However, I disagree with you that the 3rd party is not required to provide the document

I believe they should have but the point isn't relevant now

The case is that the Worker was ignored

The Agency didn't respond to his emails and phone calls to say "hey mate, we can't give you this for x or y reasons"

The silence is the issue

Edited by dx100uk

I agree that the 3P "Could" have provided the documents upon request - depending on exactly what those documents were. We do not know if they are "relevant" in any event, though that would be a separate issue before the Court...

However the bottom line is if you want documents from a Third Party, you ask, if they refuse, you seek a 3P order. They exist in the CPR and Tribunal for a reason..... Thus such a matter would not found a claim of victimisation..

That is my point exactly

What is the reason for the refusal?

Is it because they believe the Worker had the document?

or

Is it because they didn't want to get involved in an ongoing case?

My position is that the failure to give reasons at the right time is evidence of an ulterior motive

It is only during the cross-examination of the person that can be revealed

Cross-examination of witnesses always reveal their mental processing

Thank for this as the other side might try and say something similar

Edited by dx100uk

• 2 months later...

Good news!

The other side has settled

So we would never find out if a failure to respond to emails was a detriment

Although during the Preliminary Hearing, the judge said it seems weak but he refused to make a deposit order

The other side just settled

Anyway, in Deer v University of Oxford 2015, paragraph 48, the Judge ruled that having a sense of injustice is enough to justify a victimization claim

That gives a very wide definition of victimization

Anyway, it wasn't tested

I advised him to take the amount offered as it would save him a lot of stress

He didn't expect so much anyway

I used the case law AB v Ministry of Justice [2014] EWHC 1847 (QB) in agreeing with the settlement sum

In that case, someone made a SAR and the MOJ delayed in responding

£2,250 was awarded

Although this case wasn't SAR, but he felt the same distress

I believe he would have agreed to much less :lol:

Isn't it a condition of most settlements that you do not discuss it at all afterwards? And certainly not the amount.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!