style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am writing on behalf of a friend who was recently caught shoplifting in Waitrose.

It wasn't a significant amount, around £35 worth of various items.

She went through the standard procedure of being stopped by a security guard, the goods were returned and no police were involved.

She was also issued a ban from Waitrose/John Lewis.

I have read the advice on here about what to do with regards to the RLP letters, the first of which she already received,

however my question is about further police involvement.

My friend is currently on a residence permit and is terrified that this case will go on her criminal record and she won't be able to extend her stay/will run into problems with the Home Office in the later on.

I have spoken to someone who worked in Waitrose about 8 years ago, and they told me they used to fill in police reports approximately once a month detailing all the people who'd been caught shoplifting.

Does anyone know if that information is correct?

It seems strange to me that they would be reporting to police post-factum, rather than letting the police deal with it there and then, however I really am not an expert in these matters and was just wondering if anyone has ever heard anything about the police following up on a case later on without having been involved during the actual incident.

Thank you very much in advance,

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Hi and welcome to CAG

It would have been better for your friend to post but we will do what we can.

As no police were involved, it is highly unlikely that they will get involved after the effect. Most stores don't bother getting the police involved as the police use common sense rather than the knee jerk reactions of the security staff.

The answer is, no police involvement, nothing on a criminal records check. When applying for a new visa or residence permit there might be a question about criminal convictions. She would truthfully be able to answer no.

Waitrose may just compile a monthly report but this would be for their head office not necessarily to be passed on to the police.

In the past 6 years, I have heard of only one case where police 'invited' a shoplifter to attend a police station and there have been many, many more threads where nothing has happened.

As for RLP, you have read around so you know what to tell your friend. While you're at it, give her backside a kicking for being so bloody stupid in the first place!

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you very much for your prompt response!

My friend couldn't post herself as her English isn't very good, but trust me, I did tell her off for being so silly.

She struggles with mental health issues and impulsivity, and I'm sure the amount of stress caused by this incident will deter her from any further criminal activity.

Thank you for confirming what I have already been thinking.

Just seemed illogical to me that they would involve the police later on, rather than dealing with the matter there and then.

It's a tall ask, but is there any chance you remember from the case you mentioned, how far down the line it happened and what the circumstance were, i.e. why did the police get involved after the event?

I was just thinking that it's been nearly two months since my friend's Watirose incident and she hasn't heard from the police yet, but is still on edge in case she might.

Thank you again!

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

There will be no police involvement, so nothing to worry about, she should go to her GP and discuss this with them she may need more help with her MH issues.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Just by reading pages two and three on this forum I found a couple of threads where police were involved but the one that struck me was the one about a 15 year old who stole a bottle of vodka. they were invited to the police station but have never updated the thread with what happened. That's the only one I could find.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486149-My-son-(15)-stole-vodka-from-Sainsburys-been-asked-to-attend-police-station-with-him&p=5109783&viewfull=1#post5109783

I don't think the police will be getting involved after two months so nothing there to worry about.

You may not know this but some forces do not attend shoplifting incidents unless the value is over £200.

I also agree that a chat with the GP will help. I know that for some first time shoplifters, they need to feel a rush to make them feel better but when it goes wrong, they get a deep crash and can't see the way forward. Your friend should be open with the GP and talk about her issues. It may be the GP will prescribe a short course of anti depressants or even some counselling if the GP feels the issue is more serious. Talking helps. I know as I have been depressed for many years (low seratonin levels)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you again. I have looked at the pages you mentioned, and I think in most cases the police were involved afterwards where the person wasn't caught at the store.

I'm thinking since she was and was told that there won't be any police involvement she can probably relax about this.

Very true about the GP, will talk to her about this.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing