style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2058 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Step daughter has received enforcement from Jacobs they have told her she must pay £230 per month she cant afford that, she paid £200 which is the amount they said they needed to stop enforcement.

Jacobs will not negotiate a lesser amount so she might as well not go to work.

Ive read guidance to la but is it likely that a council who issues a liability order after 3 months are liable to care that the level of payment by their contractors is punitive.

any advice on how to proceed would be gratefully accepted.

Edited by Andyorch
Paras

Moved to Bailiffs - Help with Dealing with Bailiffs and Enforcement Agents including HCEO

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Yep, best idea will take you 5 minutes, nobody ever thinks it will work because they think that all local councillors just sit around and do nothing. Reality, is your local elected councillor / head of council have absolute power to overide, Jacobs Bailiffs, the council collections department, the jobsworths in customer service who all frankly don't give a rats a**e that your step daughter will need to skip meals in order to pay their debt.

Even better, it's a quick google to find their phone numbers and emails. Phone / email your local councillor plus elected head of council. In my situation, the head of my city council had the whole thing sorted in 15 minutes !

My email would go something along these lines.

Dear XYX,

I have fallen behind in my council tax payments, I am in a very precarious financial situation right now but I am being harassed by bailiffs to pay £250 per month which would mean me either not being able to eat or make my rent. I've tried to make an affordable offer to the council but it has fallen on deaf ears, they have even charged me £XYZ for the bailiffs.

I really know that councils are strapped for funds, and therefore how important council tax is. I would love to be able to get back on track and could afford to pay £50 PM for the next 6 months, and review at that point. I would be very greatful if you could arrange this for me and remove Jacobs Bailiffs and their fees from this case,

I look forward to your response '

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Your stepdaughter will only have a small window in time to come to an agreement with Jacobs. Of course it is not in the interest of Jacobs to reach an agreement because they can then come

round to the property , allegedly to take possession of goods, but is actually designed to add a further £235 to her bill. The other option they have is to arrange a repayment scheme that your daughter cannot keep to thus losing out on the £235 . So even if one payment is only one day late that triggers a visit from Jacobs thus allowing them to charge the £235. It is a disgraceful system.

The first thing to do which may prevent that happening is to speak to the Council. They will probably fob you off since the Council may have outsourced their work to Capita who own Jacobs.

It is worth persevering with them as they are responsible for the actions of the bailiffs and the Council ideally want the outstanding amount to be repaid before the start of the new tax year in April. If your daughter can afford that the Council may agree to her figure rather than what Jacobs are demanding.

If that figure is still too much and the Council won't agree to paying back over a longer period [understandable in a way since she will be repaying back tax and the current 2018/2019 council tax at the same time]. If you cannot get an agreement with them then talk to her local councillor. Point out the stupidity of the Council attitude as your daughter will end up paying an extra £235 which will go to the bailiffs, the Council will get none of it and it will push back the time that the Council will receive their money from your daughter.

If they cannot help, write to the CEO of the Council who will not be on Capita's books and use the same argument as you did with the Councillor. It cannot be sensible to add more debt to some one who is already in debt and prolongs the full repayment time.

.Please bear in mind that even though the Council agree to a repayment scheme it will have to be done through Jacobs and you won't be able to avoid the £235 fee if payments are missed.