Uni withholding Certificate for outstanding debt - even after 6 years

cynopterus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have a question that I'm hoping someone may be able to answer.

Some years ago I undertook a degree course with the University of Exeter. Unfortunately I was unable to complete the course but did do enough to claim a Cert of HE. However I had a disagreement with the uni about some fees 'owed' for a field trip and they refused to issue the certificate .... so now we arrive at today - more than 6 years later, when thinking of applying to the Open Uni, I contacted them to get official proof of credits and they still refuse citing the 6/7 year old debt as the reason. I mentioned that the debt would be statute barred by now but they still refused.

So I have two questions:

1) Are they within their rights to do this considering the debt is technically/legally not owed anymore?

2) Its possible that i may be having to apply for a DRO in the near future. If i was to do this, and add this debt on to it (even though its now not owed, would they then have to issue the relevant certs/info?

If anyone has any info/knowledge/advice they can share I would be most grateful :)

Cheers

Have you not tried just ordering a replacement through their on line store ?

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/students/administration/replacementcertificates/

The debt is statute barred and you should not be denied in this way.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I thought it was on line request ?

Where does it state you have to ring them ?

Certificates - Graduated after 2000

Post-2000 Certificate

£35.00

Decrease quantity

Increase quantity

Add to Basket

Description

Certificates for graduates who graduated in or after 2000.

Detailed Description

*** Important *** Please note that you cannot order on behalf of anyone else.

Images shown are for illustrative purposes only and may differ from documents produced.

Delivery

The certificates will be delivered by first class post or airmail. If you would like delivery by courier, please continue shopping and add the Delivery by Courier to your shopping basket.

Queries

Please call UK: 0300 555 0444 / International: + 44 (0) 1392 724724 or email [email protected] if you have any queries.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

The link appears to be for people who have graduated. As I mentioned I was unable to complete the course so was just looking to get the official modules and points earned document/transcript.

Same link....

PAST STUDENTS

Undergraduates, Postgraduates and International Exchange, Study Abroad and Erasmus students

Transcripts of marks for past graduates are available at a charge of 12 pounds each. NB. In some instances our archived records for past graduates are not as extensive as present, this may affect the content of the information we are able to include in your transcript/award confirmation.

TRANSCRIPT REQUEST AND PAYMENT

Transcripts can be ordered and paid for via our online store.

**Students who studied with the College of St Mark and St John are advised to contact the College directly for transcript application details via: Registry, University College Plymouth St Mark & St John, Derriford Road, PLYMOUTH, PL6 8BH. Telephone: +44 (0)1752 636700.

Our contact details are as follows:

SID Desk University of Exeter Forum Exeter EX4 4SZ U.K.

Tel: 00 44 (0)1392 724724 Email: [email protected]

The debt may well be statute barred but that does nit mean the debt fizzled out of existence.

It means they cannot chase you for it.

You couldn't complete the course. ( your fault not the uni)

You had a disagreement with fees for a field trip.

Field trip costs are normally not included in tuition fees.

You went on one so you owe the money.

You need to refer to t & c's

Why should the uni issue a cert if you owe money.

So I have two questions:

1) Are they within their rights to do this considering the debt is technically/legally not owed anymore?

2) Its possible that i may be having to apply for a DRO in the near future. If i was to do this, and add this debt on to it (even though its now not owed, would they then have to issue the relevant certs/info?

re 1), the debt is still owed. Being statute barred is only about the ability to recover it through court proceedings. They can't bring an action in court against you, but the debt hasn't been extinguished. So if the internal rules of the University say you cannot graduate if you still owe the University money then that can apply for ever unless the debt is settled.

I have no idea whether that position would change if you included the debt in a DRO, nor, indeed, what happens if someone owing money makes themself bankrupt.

You dont graduate if you owe money to the uni. Being statute barred doesnt change this, they wont bother chasing the debt but you cant demand anything from them either. the debt doesnt go away, it just isnt enforceable. The govt has a different way of collecting debts. They stop it from your state pension when you retire, even if the debt is 40 years old by then.

The govt has a different way of collecting debts. They stop it from your state pension when you retire, even if the debt is 40 years old by then.

Are you sure that would apply to debts to universities? I'd think not. Universities aren't government departments or state bodies. They are independent corporations established by Royal Charter.

I was using that as an example. The relevant bit is that the uni wont award your degree if you still owe them money. That can also include owing money to your landlord if they have their own accommodation agency

The point being that SB only means that they cant use court to collect the money owed, that doesn't mean that the rules on non payment change just because they cant sue you. They have already used the alternative- no paperwork for you until you cough up.