Verbal notice given to landlord -- is it valid?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

At the end of June I gave my landlord verbal notice of my intention to leave the property, in accordance with the 2-month notice provision of our agreement. I asked him if I should also give notice in writing, but he told me not to bother.

He immediately instructed the agency to put the property on the market. I will be leaving on July 31st and I understand that I will be liable for August's rent if a new tenant is not found. I accept that, and fully intend to hold my end of the agreement.

My concern, however, is that if a new tenant is not found, he will keep demanding rent after August, on the grounds that I did not give written notice.

Is my concern valid? Is there anything I should do at this stage to secure my position?

I took a screenshot of the ad posted by his agency in early July.

Any advice welcome!

Put it in writing and back date it...retain a copy...just in case.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

I agree to protect yourself just do a letter and send to Landlord referring to the date of your verbal conversation where you gave notice of your intention to leave the property in accordance with the 2 month notice provision in the Agreement and ensure to keep a copy safe even after you move out.

Did you pay a deposit and is it held in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme?

If a move-in check/inventory was done do you have a copy? (if not ask if they can provide a copy)

Before you move out take photographs of everything right down to meter readings so you have photographic evidence of the condition the property was left in.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for the replies. Here are my answers to your questions (and one more question from me at the end):

- Yes, I paid a deposit and it is held by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme. I downloaded the certificate today. I kept the flat in immaculate condition.

- We did a proper check-in and I have the inventory ready for the check-out.

Question re: written confirmation of notice: will it be enough to send him an email and copy myself in, or must it be an actual letter?

Better to be a letter...hand delivered or at least registered post.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I have to agree with above always best to be a Letter ensuring to get proof of posting and keep a copy.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group