Barclays has sent me someone else's information (statements and letters)

parity4all
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied for a Subject Access Request to Barclays. Roll on 40 calendar days* Barclays send me two packages via courier. One of them had bank statements and letters belonging to a Nigerian businessman.

Some letters were about freezing his accounts due to a court injunction/restraining order, unfreezing it after the court discharged the restraining order, and eventually the accounts being closed by Barclays a few days later. (See redacted documents attached) The statements cover a two year period at least. There was also a letter about a children's Instant Saver Account. (see attached) Account numbers, sort code, address, all transactions on his account...the lot.

Pretty shocking how reckless Barclays have been with his data. The worst part is, Barclays say in their GDRP letter sent to us: 'Barclays is committed to protecting your personal data..".

Does anyone know if I should complain to the ICO or is it Barclays? It used to be ICO. This may have changed after GDPR came in to play.

* - I applied before GDPR came in to force, so deadline was 40 days not 30 as it is now.

Barclays-Mr-X-Accounts-Closed.pdf

Barclays-Mr-X-Unfreeze-Accounts.pdf

Barclays-Mr-X-Restraining-Order-Freeze-Accounts.pdf

Barclays-Mr-X-Child-Saver.pdf

Hi Parity,

Attachments hidden - they show house no. and postcode which therefore identifies the full address.

I would tell the other Barclays customer that you've been sent the data if you haven't already.

ICO will d/w a complaint about GDPR breach as said above.

You've not said if you've complained to B's about failure to reply to YOUR SAR. Do so if they've exceeded the 40 days.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Barclays Bank Plc

Mr Jes Staley Chief Executive

Email [email protected]

Telephone 0207 116 1000

Switchboard 0207 116 1000

Fax 0207 116 7665

Website http://www.barclays.co.uk

Social Media T F

Postal Address 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HPM

Company Number 01026167C

Company Status Active (Established 04/10/1971)

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Hi Parity,

Attachments hidden - they show house no. and postcode which therefore identifies the full address.

Well spotted. I've now redacted the house number.

You've not said if you've complained to B's about failure to reply to YOUR SAR. Do so if they've exceeded the 40 days.

B's replied to SAR, I believe, slap bang on the 40th day. Basically, they received my SAR on 16 May 2018, I received SAR documents (including other person's docs) on 26 June 2018. I think the clock starts ticking from 17 May (next day after receipt). Not sure if the day I receive documents is counted. If it is, then it would make it 41 days.

Barclays-Mr-X-Child-Saver.pdf

Barclays-Mr-X-Restraining-Order-Freeze-Accounts.pdf

Barclays-Mr-X-Accounts-Closed.pdf

Barclays-Mr-X-Unfreeze-Accounts.pdf

Make a complaint | ICO

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

Looks like the ICO has delegated complaint handling to the organisations (banks) themselves!. A bit like the farmer, who is inundated with many duties (and a lack of funding) who delegates the role of looking after the chicken coup to the fox. ;)

BTW, When I follow the ICO link, the interactive wizard asks me 'What is your concern about personal information? *'

No matter what I select here, it then asks me 'Have you contacted the organisations? *'

If I choose 'No', it says 'Contact the organisation', and there's a link to a template letter.

Seems we can only report to ICO if Barclays' response to this letter is unsatisfactory (or we don't receive a response). For reporting to ICO we use a form:

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/your-personal-information-concerns/personal-information-concerns/personal-information-concerns-report/

Couldn't help noticing that 'has sent you someone else’s personal information.' has disappeared from the new (spruced up) form. (It used to be one of the 'concern types' in the old form) Guess we need to select 'something else' and then specify. What a palava!

• 5 weeks later...
Just email Jes... 🤣

I contacted Jes on 08 August 2018 by email. Received reply from executive team saying they will conduct a 'review of the circumstances' I outlined and arrange for me to be contacted with an update as quickly as possible but no later than 13 August.

I received an email from a different staff member of exec team on 13 August asking for a 'convenient time to call'.

Little bit skeptical about how this has suddenly turned in to 'doing things over the phone' exercise. What's next?, asking to meet face to face at a random location?

This is normal

You can also ask them to put everything in writing for you

Don't worry about it

They have an Admin team who maintain all complaints and then acalde handler usually is next

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I'd certainly tell whoever calls that you need a written reply, regardless of any phone discussion.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)