• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Insurance Question

tony3x
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Friend of mine had a limited company and his van is on finance in the name of the limited company. The V5 is in the name of the company but the insurance is in his personal name.

I don't think there is anything wrong there as you can insure (with owners permission) a vehicle that does not belong to you. but - the ltd company is now dissolved, he is still paying the finance.

How does he stand legally with regard the V5 being in the name of a dissolved company and the insurance in own name.

As insurance certificates cover the vehicle with that registration number, and as it is the 'user' rather than the owner who is legally required to arrange insurance, it doesn't matter who owns it providing that the insurance company was fully notified of the situation when the policy was taken out and were happy with it. Were they? Did they know the V5C had the company name on it? Do they know that the company is now dissolved? He should tell them, they may consider it a material fact. Potentially there are complications if the legal owner and the insured aren't the same person and the vehicle is stolen or destroyed and the insurer agrees to pay a total loss. Who is entitled to receive the total loss payment?

I couldn't tell you exactly what the registered keeper rules say about having the dissolved company on the V5C but surely it needs to be transferred to your friends name?

Just checked.

The insurer is aware that the van is registered in the company name but not that the company has been dissolved. The finance company are also not aware that the company has been dissolved. The payout on a total loss is an interesting one and not sure who gets it, the registered keeper or the insured.

The whole thing is further complicated in that he is going through a divorce that is quite acrimonious so wants as little in his name as possible.

The insurer is aware that the van is registered in the company name but not that the company has been dissolved. The finance company are also not aware that the company has been dissolved. The payout on a total loss is an interesting one and not sure who gets it, the registered keeper or the insured.

Or the finance company (to the extent of the outstanding finance anyway). Is their interest noted on the policy? It would depend if the finance was secured on or linked to the vehicle in some way, or whether it was just a personal loan.

If there were a total loss insurers would probably ask for evidence of ownership, particularly the purchase invoice. Who is shown as the purchaser on that? If it's only the now dissolved company then I'm not sure who they would pay. I don't know what the rules are for money owing to a dissolved company.

Do DVLA permit the registered keeper to be a legal entity that no longer exists? I don't know but it would seem unlikely to be permitted.

You cannot insure something which you have no financial intrest in.

I cannot insure my neighbours car but I can insure myself against a claim I I had an accident in it.

If the vehicle is in dissolved company's name then it should of been returned to lease company on date of dissolvent.

There is now potentially a minefield on technicality points.

You cannot insure something which you have no financial intrest in.

I cannot insure my neighbours car but I can insure myself against a claim I I had an accident in it.

If the vehicle is in dissolved company's name then it should of been returned to lease company on date of dissolvent.

There is now potentially a minefield on technicality points.

This is what I am concerned about. Its not a lease but full HP with not a lot owing. I have told him to clear the finance and then transfer to his name but the divorce has complicated things.

I am trying to help him get his 'house in order' so may have to delve deeper with this.

Thanks

If no debts and the company compulsorily would up them the govt gets the money. The lease co will need to know about this and possibly others as well.. he could end up paying off the HP and still lose the van and wont be able to transfer the assets because he is no longer entitled to make those decisions. The insurer will wnat to know about this as they ahve to assess who owns the vehicle and who is "the insured". The wording of the policy will help him resolve this to some degree

The company was voluntarily closed as no longer needed to be Ltd, doing same job but as sole trader. The accountant that dissolved the company should have sorted this at the time. There were no debts, other than the van. It was only dissolved last year and closing accounts have not been produced yet as far as I know. I guess he could buy the van from the company for the value of the outstanding finance and clear the loan, or clear the loan and just change the V5 to personal name.

he should have done that at the time. if the comany is gone the the assets arent the company's to decide what to do with. I suspect that sorting this out propery will cost more than the van itself. He could ask the accountant what they ahve done with the asset and take it from there otherwise the van may belong to HMG or it may belong to finance co or may belong to shareholders (him)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just an update. As suggested it was complicated due to the finance and V5 being in the name of the limited company. Well all solved now as the van has been repo'ed with about £500 owing. Unfortunately due the Ltd company being dissolved they would not take payment - should have been done prior to dissolve (words with accountant I think). Friend not too fussed as van had over 100k on the clock and was starting to cost money. Also found out that the van had a charge against it due to unpaid parking fines - all in the name of the Ltd Co - hopefully these will now disappear as they are in the name of the company.