Fault with used car after 27 days

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a used car from a local independent dealership on 11th June this year for £5200 (Nissan Qashqai). It's been a good car since i bought it up until 2 days ago when the CD player stopped playing CDs (it's a 6 CD changer) and then yesterday when the car went into 'limp' mode when driving home. I called the AA who diagnosed a fault with the turbo and towed me to the car dealership.

As it was late on a Sunday evening i left the car outside the dealership and returned there this morning at 8.30am to hand over the keys, explain the situation and ask for a repair.

The reason i am posting this is that one of the chaps in the office asked if i had paid for their warranty (i hadn't) and said i've therefore just got the basic warranty (up to £300 limit for repairs i think). I replied that i was wanting it repair under the Consumer Sales Act. He made a reply along the lines that it was not applicable to this situation and then walked off. I continued to deal with the other chap in the office, gave him the key and my contact number, He said they'd contact me later today once it's been looked at. I'm just slightly concerned that the dealer might not play ball and get it repaired.

I sent an email to the dealer half an hour later confirming the timeline of purchase and when the faults occurred (both the CD player and the turbo) and confirming that i am requesting a repair. I also enclosed a copy of the AA's report from when the recovered the car.

Is there anything specific that i need to do in the meantime? If they reply that they want me to contribute to repair costs, i am right that i can demand they cover it completely under CRA rather than warranty?

yes, you should send them a letter and ask them for a refund on the basis that you are asserting your right to reject within 30 days under the Consumer Rights Act

Even if you prefer to have a repair, you should assert the right to reject so that at least your position is reserved full stop do it now

• 3 months later...

Hi all, sorry i didn't update this thread with the outcome. The dealer accepted the fault and completely repaired the issue promptly. Despite their initial 'hurrumpf' they did sort it out quickly.

On to a new issue with the windscreen washers which they do not seem to want to repair. But i will start a new thread for that one.