Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    JoJo.1979 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jul 2018

Default Sickness Policy. Is This Allowed?

Hello all.

Excuse me if this is a really silly query but I have been chatting to someone at work who told me this might not be allowed so am asking here in case I need to take it further.

My employer has a sickness policy where sickness is counted in a 12 month rolling period. However, is it allowed to count 1 time of sickness twice?

My employer states 3 absences (or a total fo 60 hours) triggers a "stage". This happened to me, I was off for 3 different times with sickness, the last date being 06/02/2017 - this triggered a "stage 1". Then I was off sick in September and again in December 2017. My sickness in December then triggered a "stage 2", this is because my sickness in Feb 2017 was being counted against me again.

Is it allowed that they can count 1 period of sickness against me twice? punish me twice? I know the policy is a 12 month rolling period but I've been told that it doesn't sound right that the 1 period of sickness I had in Feb 2017 has caused a trigger twice.

Just want to put the feelers out there to see if this policy is fine or if I can take it further at all because the stage 2 I am on has cost me a promotion and an end of year bonus. If this is fine I will gladly accept it as it is what it is.

Gold Account Holder Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative

Cagger since : Jun 2012

Default Re: Sickness Policy. Is This Allowed?

Yes, that seems right to me. A stage warning doesnít wipe out/ discount the sicknesses included in it; more sickness in the rolling 12 month period would trigger a stage two. Unless you have a really oddly worded absence and attendance policy. Have you checked it?

Basic Account Holder
    JoJo.1979 Novitiate

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked it and its very long winded and there is a flow chart which I suppose is easier to work out but this bit I find a bit confusing as this is on the chart to hit a stage 1, so do I presume this applies for a stage 2 also:

"Trigger point hit:

• 3 instances in previous 6 months (rolling) or;
    • 60 hours (pro-rata) in previous 12 months (rolling) ".
    The reason this confuses me is because when I got put on a stage 2, I had not had 60 hours pro rata off sick in the previous 12 months (it is in fact 45 hours). I did have over 60 hours off sick in November 2016 due to a death in the family but this was included in my stage 1 and expired by the time I was on a stage 2 :/

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    sgtbush Novitiate sgtbush Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2012

Its the Bradford system.

Gold Account Holder Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative

What does your stage one say about expected attendance levels?

By the way - if you were off in December.. itís now 6 months later. If you were planning on raising an appeal or grievance Iíd say you are outside what most people would consider a reasonable time period. Is something else happening now to trigger this enquiry?

Basic Account Holder
    JoJo.1979 Novitiate

Im just looking into the policy to answer your question about a stage 1 attendance but I can't really find any "expectations" of whats expected.

I got put on the stage 2 in January when we all returned after Chirstmas. I was told at the end of May/early June I was not getting a bonus for my work because I was on a stage 2 and this subject was recently brought up by a colleague and thats the reason I'm asking the question now but I had no idea there was a time limit on raising an appeal if I needed to.

Depends on the rules of the appeal and/or grievance process, but if you are unhappy you really need to raise it at the time.

Basic Account Holder
    JoJo.1979 Novitiate

I see thank you all for your help

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details