Sickness Policy. Is This Allowed?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all.

Excuse me if this is a really silly query but I have been chatting to someone at work who told me this might not be allowed so am asking here in case I need to take it further.

My employer has a sickness policy where sickness is counted in a 12 month rolling period.

However, is it allowed to count 1 time of sickness twice?

My employer states 3 absences (or a total fo 60 hours) triggers a "stage".

This happened to me,

I was off for 3 different times with sickness,

the last date being 06/02/2017

- this triggered a "stage 1".

Then I was off sick in September and again in December 2017.

My sickness in December then triggered a "stage 2",

this is because my sickness in Feb 2017 was being counted against me again.

Is it allowed that they can count 1 period of sickness against me twice?

punish me twice?

know the policy is a 12 month rolling period but I've been told that it doesn't sound right that the 1 period of sickness I had in Feb 2017 has caused a trigger twice.

Just want to put the feelers out there to see if this policy is fine or if I can take it further at all because the stage 2 I am on has cost me a promotion and an end of year bonus.

If this is fine I will gladly accept it as it is what it is.

Yes, that seems right to me. A stage warning doesn’t wipe out/ discount the sicknesses included in it; more sickness in the rolling 12 month period would trigger a stage two. Unless you have a really oddly worded absence and attendance policy. Have you checked it?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked it and its very long winded and there is a flow chart which I suppose is easier to work out but this bit I find a bit confusing as this is on the chart to hit a stage 1, so do I presume this applies for a stage 2 also:

"Trigger point hit:

• 3 instances in previous 6 months (rolling) or;
  • 60 hours (pro-rata) in previous 12 months (rolling) ".

The reason this confuses me is because when I got put on a stage 2, I had not had 60 hours pro rata off sick in the previous 12 months (it is in fact 45 hours). I did have over 60 hours off sick in November 2016 due to a death in the family but this was included in my stage 1 and expired by the time I was on a stage 2 :/

Edited by JoJo.1979

What does your stage one say about expected attendance levels?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

By the way - if you were off in December.. it’s now 6 months later. If you were planning on raising an appeal or grievance I’d say you are outside what most people would consider a reasonable time period. Is something else happening now to trigger this enquiry?

Im just looking into the policy to answer your question about a stage 1 attendance but I can't really find any "expectations" of whats expected.

I got put on the stage 2 in January when we all returned after Chirstmas. I was told at the end of May/early June I was not getting a bonus for my work because I was on a stage 2 and this subject was recently brought up by a colleague and thats the reason I'm asking the question now but I had no idea there was a time limit on raising an appeal if I needed to.

Depends on the rules of the appeal and/or grievance process, but if you are unhappy you really need to raise it at the time.