Course Costs

Phiddius
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

In Sept 2017 I enrolled on a course at University, at the induction day I signed an agreement for the course costs £2170 payable in 3 parts. I signed a Direct Debit form, and over the coming months all the money was taken from my bank successfully.

Job done in my opinion.

8 weeks ago, I received a threatening letter, not far off a screaming banchee coming in the room and demanding £320. "You agreed to accept responsibility for your course fee's and if you don't pay immediately we will pass this to an external debt collection agency"

I had no idea what this was about.

I called them, and they didn't either, so I was told that something was wrong but they were not sure what, and would look into it.

4 weeks later, Another letter arrived, even more angry than before with more threats. I have, demanded an explanation of why I being asked for £320.00 I feel this is not an unreasonable thing to ask.

They say, I was charged the wrong amount, and the correct amount is on the website, it's in the terms and conditions that they are allowed to charge for any mistakes they make, so pay up.

"The 2017/18 Tuition Fee Regulations state ‘1.10 The University reserves the right to correct administrative errors identified during invoicing and take action to recover any shortfall in fees in accordance with the published tuition fee listing for the appropriate academic session.’ Our Regulations are published externally in advance of the application cycle"

I think I have to pay them, even though its not the amount I agreed to pay, I just think their approach is awful, what if this was a more vulnerable person (as some students can be), they were very iron fist in their approach.

Can I legally demand an invoice from them in advance of the £320 payment, as I have asked for them to issue an invoice and they say its only a correction.

thanks

I wouldn't regard administrative errors one and the same as a contract stating the costs of the course which you signed and agreed to and paid by DD...end of.

Now if they issued a new credit agreement explaining that the credit agreement you accepted was quoted incorrectly and ask you sign the new one to replace the previous...that could be possibly accepted.

You cant use administrative errors to correct credit agreements....because if it ever went to court the first thing a Judge will want to see is the agreement and price and if you paid in full.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

according to themselves they must correct the mistake during the invoice period, not a year later. It may be a moot point if you are continuing the couse beyond the 17/18 academic year as they just wont accept you on it next year if you have a debt to the uni.

I agree with you about the unneccessary manner they have used in correcting their error, use the college grievance procedure to get an apology for the way they have behaved. Your senior tutor will most likely be the first port of call and generally academics who take that role have the students interest as heart because they delay their promotion by doing so.

"The 2017/18 Tuition Fee Regulations state ‘1.10 The University reserves the right to correct administrative errors identified during invoicing and take action to recover any shortfall in fees in accordance with the published tuition fee listing for the appropriate academic session.’ Our Regulations are published externally in advance of the application cycle"

Have you checked what "the published tuition fee listing" for 2017/18 actually says?

Hi, thank you for some good advice, appreciated.

> Ethel Street

"Have you checked what "the published tuition fee listing" for 2017/18 actually says?"

Actually, I couldn't find it anywhere, and so I have demanded that they send me a link to that published fee...

> ericsbrother

along with the unnecessary approach and demanded an apology ...

> Andyorch

followed by - saying if I do find the published fee online then I may consider paying this additional fee ie produce a new agreement accompanied by an explanation.

plus raised a complaint in the hope of protecting people in future who may be frightened by this kind of approach.

so thank you, I'll let you know how that goes

Its irrelevant what you find on line.....as it may have been updated and "someone " error corrected since you signed the agreement.....as it stands they are making you correct someone else error.

" at the induction day I signed an agreement for the course costs £2170 payable in 3 parts. I signed a direct debit form, and over the coming months all the money was taken from my bank successfully. "

You have kept to your part of the agreement and fulfilled your liabilities.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andyorch, thanks for your reply,

They have responded to me by sending me a brochure showing the full price last year for the full time study, £4'860, no indication of the part time course costs.

I agreed my contract on 6.9.17 for £2'110 part time, then paid it as you are aware.

They sent me a copy of an advisory note they sent on 6.9.17, showing cost of the full time course, obviously I didn't see it then as I was not at home, I was in the university signing their agreement and didn't associate the full price with anything I was doing.

They also sent me a copy of a new invoice, they claim was sent to me on 7.2.18 showing a new figure of £2'430 and giving me 30 days to pay it. No explanation of any error. Anyway, I have never seen it until a few days ago.

I checked online and this years costs actually show the part time fee, which is now £2'140. I asked about that and they say that the university exercised its right to revise the fees for new entrants joining in 18-19

So basically they made a mistake charging me and want the missing pennies, and say they have the right to do so, even though this years fees are almost what I paid.

Thanks gain for any advice.

They should have sent the corrected invoice after Sept 2017...not in Feb 2018......they should have examined the agreement signed in Sept 2017.

Given its their error why not suggest a monthly payment plan of say £30 PM as its their error...your not in a position to pay in full to balance their errors and they should agree to meet you half way ?

Andy