80mph on motorway

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’m posting for a friend.

Traveling at 79-80 on the A1 outside lane (two lane part of motorway).

Suddenly a police vehicle with blue lights was behind my friend.

Friend looked at wing mirror on left and pulled into the left lane quickly.

friend said the distance to the car behind was over 20m.

The police car carried on so it was not my friend they were stopping.

My friend said one by one all the cars on outside started to pull into the inside lane.

all the other cars must have been going 79-80 as My friend was maintaining their speed with the cars in the outside lane.

Friend is now worried in case police have recorded the speed travelling and will later send a speeding ticket even though the police were on a different job.

Can this happen?

Has it happened to anyone before

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

doubt it

i'd forget about it until/unless something arrives in the post.

is his V5C is upto date address wise .. yes?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

let it run then.

I would doubt he'll here anything unless the car was after the first in the line

but then your fried would have passed that later and I bet he didn't.

police cars cant just measure speed on a row of cars either just the one...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I’m posting for a friend.

Traveling at 79-80 on the A1 outside lane (two lane part of motorway).

Suddenly a police vehicle with blue lights was behind my friend.

Friend looked at wing mirror on left and pulled into the left lane quickly.

friend said the distance to the car behind was over 20m.

The police car carried on so it was not my friend they were stopping.

My friend said one by one all the cars on outside started to pull into the inside lane.

all the other cars must have been going 79-80 as My friend was maintaining their speed with the cars in the outside lane.

Friend is now worried in case police have recorded the speed travelling and will later send a speeding ticket even though the police were on a different job.

Can this happen?

Has it happened to anyone before

They can follow it up later if need be. Chances are they would have been too busy with the shout they were on to take note of every car speeding at the time. It's easier for them to pull you over (to determine who is driving) or radio ahead to another car who can pull you over. Not saying they won't get a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) through the post, and they have 14 days to do so (if I remember correctly), but I personally wouldn't worry myself silly over it.

At the end of the day, if they are unlucky enough to get a NIP through the door...well that's what happens when you speed ;)

My friend said the police just carried on. He worried because he looked at his speedometer and it was 79-80 so the police car right behind him would also be doing the same speed. No one seemed to be stopped on the motorway and my friend says he thinks the police car left at the next junction

They can follow it up later if need be. Chances are they would have been too busy with the shout they were on to take note of every car speeding at the time. It's easier for them to pull you over (to determine who is driving) or radio ahead to another car who can pull you over. Not saying they won't get a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) through the post, and they have 14 days to do so (if I remember correctly), but I personally wouldn't worry myself silly over it.

At the end of the day, if they are unlucky enough to get a NIP through the door...well that's what happens when you speed ;)

I let them know and fingers crossed. They been driving for 8 years. Never been done for speeding. Hope they can avoid the 3 points and can do the driver awareness course. I guess this would be band A penalty?

All will be fine - from the way you have described it the police wouldn't even have been checking speeds but would be focussed on getting to whatever incident they were heading for

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

Was doing about 72/74 and overtaking a line of cars on middle lane.

Blue lights behind me coming fast.

I couldn't break to get behind the line of cars, otherwise they would have slammed on the brakes themselves, so I put my foot down, passed the line of cars and then pulled in to let them pass.

I almost hit 100 in that manoeuvre.

They passed me at speed, officer on passenger seat gave me thumbs up and carried on.

Tell your friend not to worry.

I would agree. The cops love people that get out of the way for them and will turn a blind eye to safe increase of speed to clear a lane for them.

The only thing i would be a little concerned with is that the OP claims his mate was doing excess speed and didnt see cops until they were sat 20m behind him waiting for him to move.

That does not bode well with police.

That said, they were obviously on way to a shout and prob had other things to think about anf speed wasnt that high.

My gut feeling, at those speeds, is that your friend will be fine.

TBH they would be more interested in driving manner than just speed that is marginally over the speed limit.

For example if friend suddenly jammed the brakes on in front of police car they wouldnt be impressed and whatever they were doing would then have to wait as they dealt with a matter fo careless or dangerous driving.

Friend should consider whether the rest of his driving was OK, maintaining gap between self and car in front, indicating when changing lane to let coppers past etc. If they werent happy with that he might get a letter but otherwise it is just another day.

Ericsbrother is correct that the officers would be more interested in the manner of driving than purely speed. Only becoming aware of them when they were within 20 m is not driving with due care and attention (although I doubt that they were driving at 79-80 only 20 m behind him as this in itself would be dangerous driving!)

In 1966 whilst on motor patrol on the M1 motorway I was responding to a report of a caravan on it's side, driving at about 120 mph when we came behind a Ford Zephyr in the outside lane, the driver of which did not respond to the blue lights and siren (first force with sirens instead of the bell on the front bumper valance). The inner lanes were clear, we had to slow and clocked him at 85 mph over the required 2/10ths mile, followed by a further half mile with all lights flashing, siren and horn in full voice before he moved his head and looked in his rear view mirror, followed by a sudden pull to the left into the middle lane. As we accelerated to pass, my observer pulled out his notebook and demonstrated writing in it, pointing to the driver at the same time. :-x

We reached the RTC and dealt with it.

The driver appeared at Daventry Magistrates court, pleaded not guilty to speeding and tried to use technicalities over checking the speedometer (measured half mile using calibrated stopwatch 25.5 seconds) by questioning temperature of tyres and their relative circumferance etc. Found guilty with top end penalty due to the way he had held us up, in the words of the magistrate he was lucky not to be charged with driving without due care and attention.

Happy days.:-)

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Shown to friend the replies. He says the police car was behind him not 20m away. He moved into the inside lane (Car in inside lane was 20m behind) so friend move into that lane (did not indicate)

Then all the cars in the outside lane started to pull into the inside lane.

To note there were cars Infront on inside lane so the cars further in front of him had to pull into smaller available gaps. Does that make sense

Shown to friend the replies. He says the police car was behind him not 20m away. He moved into the inside lane (Car in inside lane was 20m behind) so friend move into that lane (did not indicate)

Then all the cars in the outside lane started to pull into the inside lane.

To note there were cars Infront on inside lane so the cars further in front of him had to pull into smaller available gaps. Does that make sense

Just showed this thread to two traffic boys sat beside me outside A/E. One said bless ya, and not to worry,the other one just said "they would only do anything if they witnessed you doing silly speeds or driving like a **at.

Just showed this thread to two traffic boys sat beside me outside A/E. One said bless ya, and not to worry,the other one just said "they would only do anything if they witnessed you doing silly speeds or driving like a **at.

It’s was 79-80 on the speedometer as long as that’s not considered speeds, he is hoping that nothing will happen