Classic civil service pension question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

a bit of a long shot but maybe someone on here has had a similar experience or is going through a similar issue!

To cut a long story short, i have now left my civil service job, up until 2015 i was on the Classic pension scheme but then had to move to Alpha ( no choice because of my age at the time ) so 3 years.

I will shortly receive my options letter, but having read on the civil service website i may be able to take my pension before age 55, i am 53. i aware i won't be able to take the Alpha part of the pension until i am 55 but it clearly states on the website that the Classic portion of my pension can be taken at 50.

The reason i am asking is because theres seem to be some confusion about the Alpha transition, i am also aware of the pension reductions should i take it now, but i am ok with that.

Obviously i know i have to wait for the options letter but maybe someone can shed some light on what to expect?

Thank you in advance anyway!!

Angela x

Well, the actuarial reductions will be massive and after the pensions reform back in 2010 I am not certain you can still take the pension before 55 anyways. As for the Alpha, that is like a money purchase scheme if my reading of it is correct so wont be able to take it yet. It wil be frozen until you can.