Gardeners - is this friend or foe?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a picture of something growing which has sprung up in a pot we planted an olive tree in and we didn't plant it.

It grows at a grand rate of knots and what you see has grown in about 2-3 weeks.

Anyone know what it is and what I ought to do with it?

Will it flower? spread like knot-weed? eat someone? What?

Thanks

20180628_164412.jpg

could be this, is so get rid, it is dangerous :/

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=218

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

could be this, is so get rid, it is dangerous :/

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=218

Not Japanese Knotweed.

If in doubt, pull it out and incinerate. personally, I don't think it is anything particularly invasive, but I would be cautious of sticking it on the compost heap.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Loads of that where I live and it grows at a rapid speed of knots. Don't know what it I but easy to to pull out.

Unless you pull everything out it will continue to spread like wildfire and if it gets to a lawn then you have major problems getting rid of it

Amazing isn't it? Thanks for your replies. I have a little bit of experience with Japanese Knotweed having found a property I was going to buy which I'd lived in some 30 years earlier which came back onto the market. We found it had some growing in the back garden. I didn't buy as a result of doing a lot of research into it.

I'll take the picture up to the garden centre I think because I don't want anything running riot, I have plenty of weed in the grass, but I don't tend to touch it as there's a lot of moss which acts as a home to bumble bees and stag beetles. Lousey grass (not suitable for a cricket pitch or bowls!!), but the wildlife it attracts is worth the sight of the weeds!

Thanks for your help and thoughts anyway.

Thanks for the pointers.

The leaves of the Russian vine look bigger and it is more like the Boxwood Andy pointed me to (thank you) in the Bonsai range, but that has a brown stem whereas mine has a soft and supple red stem. The leaves look similar though.

I've no idea how it got into the pot with the Olive tree, but I'm just concerned it might not be too friendly to keep. My garden is quite simple overall and all I need is something which will run rampant and that 'mile a minute' phase seems to fit the situation just now.

It's thus far contained in the pot, but I can't leave it in the Olive tree pot so it either hits the bin or we plant it somewhere else, probably in a pot if it's going to go mad growing. Be a shame to miss out though if it's something more oriental and pretty later in it's growing pattern.

To coin a phrase 'I'll keep digging'

Thanks folks.

Andrew

I would transfer it to its own pot Andrew then you can maintain and control it...looks quite tropical and worth keeping what ever it is.It will have been mixed in the soil of the Olive Tree initially.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I don't think it's a Russian vine, agree with Andyorch that you can have it in a pot to limit the spread. It looks a bit like a succulent to me or is that because I'm looking at a photo?

I once thought I knew better than a well-known TV gardener and planted a Russian vine to climb up the shed. As you say, it grew at a mile a minute and didn't stop when it had got to the size I wanted. In the end we had to dig it up and plant something with better manners.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

not Japanese knotwed or Russian vine and it doesnt look like sweet plum, which has slightly serrated edges to the leaves, esp on immature plants.

I would keep it in a pot and see waht happens, may well be a mediterranean creeping plant of some sort, honeysuckles have red stesm like that but the leaves look different to the varieties I know