• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Who pays the rent (and council tax)

neword
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

This is a request for information on who will have to pay the rent on a LHA property.

Me and the wife have rented this property for over 20 years now and have paid the rent on it for most that time,

Due to my wifes disabilities she has the high rate motobility and standard car PIP. Because of this I am on carers allowance and also receive Income Support.

The house is four bedrooms and we use 1 and our granddaughter uses 1 and her boyfriend uses another 1. So out of four bedrooms we use 3 and have a reduction in HB (14%) for the empty one.

My granddaughter (18yrs old ) up-till recently was a full time student and has now moved on to a apprenticeship (wage approx £225 pw)

Her boyfriend (18yrs old ) is also on an apprenticeship (wage approx £195pw)

Neither of them have paid anything towards the rent or CT as that has always been the way we have done it for all our children.

The LHA and the council are fully aware of the situation at the property as I keep them fully informed of any changes in circumstances within just a few days of the changes.

So currently we have to pay 14% rent and a small proportion of the CT and there has been no communication concerning any change to what we pay regarding granddaughter moving into the apprenticeship.

We also notified the appropriate gov depts about her change of circumstances and the Child Benefit and CTC we got for her has now stopped.

Now there is another change in circumstances coming up next month and its this change that I need to get information about up front.

The boyfriends apprenticeship is about to come to an end (early July) and he is moving onto a position within the educational establishment his apprenticeship was with.

So he is going to be a full time employee earning a income that will be a lot higher than what he gets on the apprenticeship.

SO, the question is

Would he be liable to pay the rent and CT on this property even though his name is not on the tenancy agreement.

Your thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

OH one more question.

Would me going back into self employment make any difference to the above As I have been considering this for a while.

(I'm 62 and would be working a minimum of 16 hours a week)

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

I've no idea about HA and rent, but as long as you keep your council aware of who is living there and how much they're earning, they'll be able to work out how much council tax should be paid on the property.

Moved to the benefits forum

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Your LA will inform YOU of any changes to HB or CT payments that need to be made, and no, he will not be made to pay the rent and CT for the property.

Any increase in income to the household will make a difference to what the LA pays in respect of HB and CT.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Would he be liable to pay the rent and CT on this property even though his name is not on the tenancy agreement.

Presumably it is your name on th rent agreement along with HB & CTX benefits. In which case, you would be liable for any outstanding amounts for rent/ctx. I'd suggest sitting down with daughter and boyfriend, explain the financial situation and come to an agreement for a fair contribution.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks for the input and replies the information given is helpful.

Curiosity got to me last night and I decided to use a benefits calculator (T2Us) but had to put them both down as working non dependants as there seems to be no way of inputting info wrt apprenticeship.

I gather I must have done something wrong as it comes back with no change to the current benefits we are receiving. Going to try again today and also get down to CAB and Council with a request for

what the changes are likely to be.

They have both indicated that they would much rather pay rent on a place of their own or even try for a mortgage. We can understand their point here.

Something that did come up last night while we were talking is that the boyfriend is also considering going on to a higher tier apprenticeship. Would that be likely to make a difference?

I not being scrooge or anything your granddaughter and boyfriend if they have any income they should be paying a proportion of it to you , I mean think of the the other bills electric gas water food do either pay anything to the upkeep of the house

Both my children from the age of 18 have paid something towards the bills.

I was on benefits due to ill health and now am on esa in support group.

My housing benefit and council tax relief are reduced in accordance with the adult childrens' wages.

Even when my son was out of work for 3 weeks while he waited to start a new job and didn't apply for benefits himself, I had to pay £14 per week for the deduction for him and a few pounds council tax.

Even when an adult child claims benefit, the council still reduce the tenants housing benefit and council tax relief.

Currently my daughter is working part time and studying at college as well as being my carer.

To offset the benefit deduction she pays me £30.50 per fortnight, I pay the council tax part.

Everything else we sort out between us.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Council Tax liability is determined under s6 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 - under this, liability will fall on a resident tenant before anyone else. This means that you are your wife are liable for any council tax charge (the fact a person may be 'disregarded' does not affect liability)

Any council tax disregards which may apply for other occupiers - e.g. an apprentice - will be looked at when calculating the charge but it does not alter who is liable for the payments.

It should be noted that Council Tax Reduction is means tested and looks at the household in a different way to Council Tax when determining what may or may not be paid to assist with paying the bill. It can however only be paid to the person who is actually liable for the Council Tax charge.

They will reassess and take the GD and hers boyfriends income into account but it wont be counted as your income so not treated as a common pot of money. I dont know the calculations they use but you will find that their income is considered differently with regard to outgoings but you will find that the proportion that you pay towards your rent and CT will go up but not as much as it would if the income was yours.

Hello All,

Thanks for information and we have taken note of what has been mentioned within the replies.

Did think that the onus would be on us as its our names on the tenancy.

Do agree with you concerning getting them to pay the difference (or proportion of it).

The LA housing waiting list here is absolutely massive and due to their status of being unmarried with no kids and living in a house with spare bedrooms so not classed as overcrowded their wait time would be in the region of 5yrs +.

Their only really choices if they want their own place is to rent privately or mortgage and as the boyfriend would prefer to put his money into ownership rather than renting they are saving every penny they can so has to afford a deposit on a small place of their own.

Again thanks for the replies., appreciate them.

They are as Hannya had said, really sensible youngsters.

I really hope their dream comes soon for them.

There is no quick way round it these days.

A friend of mine was living in her 1 bedroom flat and had 2 of her adult children plus a grandchild with her, 1 of her adult children had become homeless through no fault of their own, the other had returned to be her carer as her health was poor.

Even they waited almost 2 years for 1 of her adult children to get a local authority home, and even that's temporary and only because the overcrowding made her already poor health worse.

I think it was her GP who eventually wrote on her behalf to the local authority.

I am a council tenant where I live and my next door neighbour is on the housing list to move as she is entitled to an extra bedroom now, she was recently sent a letter advising her that as of july 2018 the requirements to getting on and staying on the list have changed.

From what she told me of those changes it seems that as the housing situation is dire, they are merely making it as hard as possible to even get on the list......