HMRC, bailiffs help - already at £75 compliance stage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I need some advise on how to deal with HRMC and stop them from coming to my house,

applying crazy charges,

taking my goods

and making me bankrupt

(which will cause me to lose my new job)

all down to a problem with self assessment tax ,

charges and interest from claiming child benefit.

Really don't know what to do but I know that they can reclaim tax by adjusting the tax code which I assumed had already happened as my online tax code seemed to change ever few months .

A collection office turned up at my door last week,

demanded £75 for his visit and insisted that I somehow sort out £11000 dept.**

I offered to make a token payment of £500 and asked to have the payments taken via my tax code.*

He didnt agree to this but said that I needed to speak to the dept management team which I did.*

they advised me that I needed to complete my self assessment by registering,

then waiting for an activation code and finally completing the submissions before we could do anything.

My worry is that I will not be able to do all this within the 14 day time limited the HMRC collections persons placed on me

I understand they have unique powers meaning they can enforce bailiffs without needing to go to court.

What can I do ?

I was about to sent a letter asking for the payment to be taken from my tax code and pleading my case (almost begging etc) but wanted to ask for some advise first.

Anyone offer any help on what I should do.?

Thanks

Scott

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

How do they come to believe you owe them £11k?

How much (if anything) do you believe you owe them?

What is the backstory here? (Including details of which tax year the events were).

The answers to those will dictate your next steps.

Hey,

child benefit charges for 2014, 2015 and 2016 plus interest plus charges.

I was never been asked to do a self assessment until last year where all this started.

During the last 12 months my tax code has have changed 4 times so I assumed this was all being taken care off.

The information from my personal HMRC tax account online shows different tax codes to whats on my payslips too.

I have even spoken to HMRC who tell that I need to firstly register for self assessment to get my UTR then wait for my activation code which proves this is all new to me.

Being honest, I certainly owe the money and could possible get the fees and charges removed if I appeal.

Avoiding payment is not my intention

- what I want to do is have a realistic payment option ideally via my tax code adjustment

not live in fear that a baliff will suddenly turn up,

force their way in ,

take my stuff,

bankrupt me for any deficient which could cause me to lose my new job.

Phew..

Thanks

Scott

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

whoa hold there

you'll never get bailiffs for an HMRC debt so

don't go thinking these stupid cant pay we'll take it away TV stuff EVER can be involved

its a gov't debt they never chase those nor can they!!...

you simply deal with HMRC directly.

you have ofcourse put them to STRICT PROOF via an SAR that this is owed!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they cant add ANY FEES NOR NOTHING ELSE too

stop panicking!!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Thanks - they are adding them on and the letter I received yesterday confirmed that they had added £75 charge on now and they will add another £225 on if it goes to the next stage of recovery plus 7.5% interest.

Apparently HMRC have special collection powers and can just break into my house via force (as a last resort) but they dont need to go to court first to start collecting my goods etc.

This rubbish?

right so they can add enforcement fees then sorry..

the bailiff people will be along soon

how come its got this far

you should have received numerous letters before it got to this stage.

and they

hey we've got big buckets

the experts will be here soon

I've moved you to the bailiffs forum

there are better experts here

and they

If you have been speaking to the Debt Management Team then they should be giving you the extra time as required and their bailiff should be put on hold. Have you now commenced the procedure of applying for SA, if not you should do so ASAP to get the ball rolling. If you hold off then HMRC will think you have something to hide.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

did you have complicated tax affairs at the time,

ie more than one job, self employment, claiming tax credits etc?

If not then how and why has this state of affairs come about?

Is it entirely their error or have you failed to tell them somehting that you should have known

( and that doesnt include working out tax code or amount owed, just a significant change on previous years)

secondly

can you actrually calculate how much you owe or think you owe?

If you can do this it is a stick to beat them with as they will have made assumptions to get to their figure and that may well be inaccurate by a fair bit.

that will be enough to go to a dispute and that shoudl put the collection fees and activity on hold but you must get this on paper quickly

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

If you have been speaking to the Debt Management Team then they should be giving you the extra time as required and their bailiff should be put on hold. Have you now commenced the procedure of applying for SA, if not you should do so ASAP to get the ball rolling. If you hold off then HMRC will think you have something to hide.

Hi I spoke to their debt management team and they advised me to contact the field agency who paid me the first visit.

He was surprisingly ok and I said that my activation code for self assessment had not arrived yet and there was nothing they could be done until came.

Agreed I needed to do my SA returns for 2014, 2015 and 2016, see where that leaves me and hopefully arrange a replacement plan with debt management.

They can see I am trying to sort this and have no problems with setting up a payment plan.

Fingers crossed

idi you have complicated tax affairs at the time, ie more than one job, self employment, claiming tax credits etc? If not then how and why has this state of affairs come about? Is it entirely their error or have you failed to tell them somehting that you should have known ( and that doesnt include working out tax code or amount aowed, just a significant change on previous years)

secondly can you actrually calculate how much you owe or think you owe? If you can do this it is a stick to beat them with as they will have made assumptions to get to their figure and that may well be inaccurate by a fair bit. that will be enough to go to a dispute and that shoudl put the collection fees and activity on hold but you must get this on paper quickly

Hi, this is from claiming child benefit . I earned over the threshold and now and being penalised for it.

I got nothing.. it's my fault for assuming that the change in tax code were because they were adjusting to back pay.

Is there an online calculator that will give me some idea of figure etc ?

Thanks

Hi I spoke to their debt management team and they advised me to contact the field agency who paid me the first visit.

He was surprisingly ok and I said that my activation code for self assessment had not arrived yet and there was nothing they could be done until came.

Agreed I needed to do my SA returns for 2014, 2015 and 2016, see where that leaves me and hopefully arrange a replacement plan with debt management.

Glad to hear that your problem is on its way to being resolved.

Hang on a min.

If you have notified HMRC changes in circumstances in the relevant years and hmrc have failed to update their systems and you have paid too little tax you can get a large chunk written off by them.

So questions.

Did you notify hmrc in 14/15/16/17 in changes in circumstances.

What I the reason you now have to SA.

I had 1600 written off from tax year 14/15 because I told them a change,

they failed to try to collect it or even inform me of underpayment. T

hey tried to collect it tho year but because it was over two years they wrote it off.

Even though it took some pretty stern phone calls as the hmrc lady didn't even know about the rules.

I'll try to find the relevent link but google owe tax over 2 years or the like

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Have you infomed them of changes??.

This is important.

If you just buried your head in the sand then esc A19 wont work.

Its the addage of clean hands syndrome

Hi no but they see any information of my salary via RTI integration but I guess this is no a valid argument at all so yes.. got a lot of sand in my hair.

I have to do an income and expenditure form for them to work out how much I can pay etc.

This is positive etc although I am worried that they might force me to pay every scrap of my spare money back each month.

Let's see what Thursday offers when I speak to them again via phone.