PayPal payment made using hacked account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I hope I've chosen the correct sub-forum for this post, but if not would you move it for me?

I have encountered an interesting situation this past week and I wonder if I could have some advice on what, if anything, can be done about it. It's probably clearest if I just bullet point the facts:

• I have a computer graphics card for sale on Ebay

• Tuesday 12th June I received an email from a potential buyer by the name of Dorothy Baynham telling me they wanted to buy the card for their son's birthday and would I end the auction early and sell to them.

• Wednesday 13th June I agree to end the auction once a PayPal payment is received.

• Later on Wednesday PayPal payment for £360 is received along with the shipping name and address.

• Thursday 14th of June I sent the graphics card away by Royal Mail Special Delivery.

• Friday 15th of June it is received and signed for by a Mr ***

• Saturday 16th of June I received an email from a gentleman, completely unrelated to either earlier person, asking me why I have claimed £360 from his bank account.

• Saturday 16th of June I emailed back making clear that payment was sent from his account in payment for the item sold via Ebay.

• Friday 22nd of June I have received an email from PayPal telling me they are reversing the payment. Sure enough, my PayPal balance is now -£360.

My belief is that the person I was corresponding with has used stolen/hacked credentials for a PayPal account to pay for the Ebay item. Subsequently, the person whose PayPal account was compromised has initiated a charge back.

There is a lesson to be learned here, which is to never believe what anyone tells you on Ebay and to stick to their rules and let auctions run their course. I understand that, lesson learned, apparently the hard way.

My question is,

on the basis that I know the address the item was delivered to and I know who signed for it, is it possible for me to issue a Letter Before Action or similar with the aim of bringing them to account?

I should make it clear, I am located in Scotland (west coast), the item was delivered to an address in Dudley.

I may very well have to simply suck this up and chalk it up to "I should have known better", but I thought I'd check first.

Ideally I'd rather not be out of pocket by £360!

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Moved to online forum

Name removed

REport this to action fraud

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So apart from a minus balance you are not actually out of pocket??

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for moving this dx.

I have reported it to Action Fraud.

I'm not what you mean I'm not out of pocket? PayPal are presumably going to want me to clear the negative balance, and if I don't doesn't that pretty much render my PayPal account unusable because any payment I receive into it will go towards clearing the negative balance? What am I missing?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Hi,

I'm from the PayPal Community Forum.

I'm not quite sure how you managed to exchange email addresses for the buyer to make a payment to do an 'off eBay' deal. eBay usually picks up on any attempted exchange of contact details.

However, if you did manage to exchange email addresses, did you send the buyer a PayPal invoice for 'goods'? If so, and you sent the item out to the address that PayPal provided you with on the payment received notification, you will actually be protected against a chargeback.

A chargeback will also land you with a £14 admin fee.

you remove ALL funding sources from you paypal account and then you ignore them totally

theres nothing they can do

pp don't do court. they are in luxy

and any stupid DCA they try and use to make you pay are totally powerless and are not bailiffs.

100's of threads on here regarding this common sc@m

ebay/paypals business model is setup to deal with this type of loss anyway

bottom line you now ignore

and they

and they

Hi,

I'm from the PayPal Community Forum.

I'm not quite sure how you managed to exchange email addresses for the buyer to make a payment to do an 'off eBay' deal. eBay usually picks up on any attempted exchange of contact details.

However, if you did manage to exchange email addresses, did you send the buyer a PayPal invoice for 'goods'? If so, and you sent the item out to the address that PayPal provided you with on the payment received notification, you will actually be protected against a chargeback.

A chargeback will also land you with a £14 admin fee.

Hi Hannya,

First off, I realise wholeheartedly how stupid this whole escapade is.

The 'buyer' messaged me from an Ebay account asking me to contact an alternative email address.

If Ebay's system should have picked up on that, it didn't, but in any case I emailed said email address and a deal was made. Payment was received via PayPal and the item dispatched, received and signed for. I didn't issue an invoice, they sent payment direct to my email address.

The next day I received an email from the owner of the PayPal account telling me the transaction was not of their doing. Subsequently they have been refunded and my PayPal account now shows a negative balance.

As post 6

and they

Hi Dx,

Yep, thanks for you help, I do sincerely appreciate it.

This is a hard lesson to learn. Although, strangely, I logged in to PayPal this morning and my PayPal balance is now showing £0, not the -£360 it was showing the other day. I don't know what's going on. I wondered if they're plundered my credit card for the amount to get my account back to zero before I managed to remove it but it doesn't look like they have.

Thank again.

Would show a payment if they did in the expanded account details

and they

Yeah, nothing there at all.

The only history shown is the last payment received (from the hacked account) and then my transfer out to my bank account.

Nothing after that. Strange one.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that the bank has decided against the person who claimed their account was hacked and has reversed the chargeback, is that even possible?

Time to ignore everything

and they

• 1 month later...

Hi GraphicsCard,

I'm sorry to hear you've had the same experience. Ultimately though I'm not sure what can be done, unless you have ideas of your own. In the end I pretty much had to chalk it up to a bad experience and take the loss on the chin. In the end the person whose card was used raised a chargeback with their bank and because I didn't send the item to the registered address the claim was successful and I was down nearly £400.

well you don't take it on the chin

you simply don't pay paypal back

open another account with diff details.

paypal don't do court they are in luxy.

and they

Don't forget to report the receiver to the police.

The name is most likely false, but the address is genuine and I bet they're running a large scale fraud using the same method.

If by pure luck you get a keen officer interested you might stop it, but I doubt they'll recover the graphic card.

Don't use your PayPal account anymore as suggested above.

report it all to actionfraud website

you'll get a ref no to quote then

and they