Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jun 2018

Default lowell backdoor Cat debt CCJ - now court bailiffs?, how much will this harm my future?

Hi I am so stressed out.
    I've been at a University address since recently and came home to parents house to discover i have had a CCJ filed against me last month for an old catalogue debt and have been ordered to pay 50 per month with the first payment due in the next few days.

I don't dispute the debt I just have no money and as I have now just completed my final year at Uni I am technically unemployed.

I will be moving back in with parents very soon and am worried a bailiff will be paying me a visit and cause great embarrasment and distress to them.

I've done some preliminary research but it looks very complex to me.
    Whether I apply for it to be set aside, or ask a court to change the amount, it all involves paying a fee which I don't have.
    I think in order to get help with fees you have to be on JSA/unemployment benefit? I don't want to do this.

Just wondering what is likely to happen now?
    The amount of the debt is "only" around 300ish but I can't afford anything until I get a job.

If the bailiff comes and I don't let him in,
    I know they can't force entry as long as doors are locked etc but what is the worst they can do?
    Can I just ignore him completely?
    Any advice greatly appreciated

Default Re: lowell backdoor Cat debt CCJ - now court bailiffs?, how much will this harm my future?

Hi and Welcome to CAGicon

If you are happy to accept the Judgment and will ing to pay ..you convert it a more affordable payment arrangement through the court,

Using the N245...the fee is 50 unless your exempt.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...-at-Feb-2017**

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...t-April-2018**

Thread moved the appropriate forum

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Default Re: lowell backdoor Cat debt CCJ - now court bailiffs?, how much will this harm my future?

Thanks Andy.

Just as I feared unless you're officially on a unemployed benefit or receiving help with something, it looks like I'm not eligble for help

Does anyone know a way around this?

To clarify;
    I'm living with parents,
    just finished uni,
    unemployed,
    no money,
    deep into an overdraft and don't wish to claim JSA or anything.

What can I do?

EDIT: Just realised something at the bottom of that topic.
    The county courticon this was claimed via was Northampton so wouldn't be eligble anyway?

Ask the Bank of Mum & Dad ...or speak to the claimant and arrange a payment plan...most prefer to do it through the n245 rather than direct...because its court approved and if not through the court the claimant will contacting you every week to see if you can increase payment.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Unfortunately that bank is not an option, and my payment plan offer to them will likely to be 1 or 2 per month (until I get a job).

I'm just wondering if there is there any motivation for them to entertain my "offer" when they already have a CCJ instructing me to pay 50 per month?

As its already been set as monthly payment you could consider a redetermination..this is free if done within 14 days of the date of judgment.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...ntsonaccj.aspx

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Sadly that isnt an option either, the date of the judgment was almost a month ago.
    Looks like i am totally and utterly screwed

Your not re read post # 4.

Make them an offer...far better than not attempting anything.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

True I just know from past experience what these debt collectionicon people/agencies are like.
    Most of them are just trying to do a job, no doubt under pressure from their superiors with targets etc but their compassion for people struggling always seems very low.

I will contact them and try and make a token offer until I gain employment, but what if they reject it and just go through their script of referring me to organisations that can help? Just make the token payment anyway?

I'm sure whatever I say or offer "enforcement action" is probably inevitable

Well as per your thread title...given as your unemployed...I assume no assets.....no savings....not much they can do..whether you pay or not.

Follows
    Following

Hi. Digressing a little, why don't you want to claim JSA? You could post on our benefits forum for further advice.

HB

Am I correct in saying that a bailiff can't be used when the debt is regulated under the CCA?

Quote Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
    Am I correct in saying that a bailiff can't be used when the debt is regulated under the CCA?
    Only HCEO Sham not court Bailiffs

Follows
    Following

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

No...see post #29 in your link

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

EDIT - It was actually the solicitors of my original creditor if that makes any difference

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

adminicon/Mod - I've completely messed that up ^^

Is it possible to recover my original post from above and delete this one. Thanks

The Judgment creditor can accept less than than the Court Judgment amount set..( it was the claimant that set amount when they requested judgment)..so not a problem.

If we knew who the DCAicon was we could hazzard a gues as to whether there is history of them ever doing it on a CCA agreement.

I would ask for conformation in writing that you have agreed this payment plan....just in case.

Lastly the fee to execute a warrant is currently 77.00 MCOL and 110.00 manually

Andy

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Thanks a lot Andy
    The creditor is Lowell I know they have a bad reputation but it seemed like the woman on the phone was really genuine, but doesnt mean to say she doesnt have more unforgiving superiors.

Yes she said I'll be getting payment plan through the post. I really doubt its going to explicitly state "if you continue this payment plan, we won't enforce the debt" as it would mean I could take over 10 years paying it off haha, hardly worth it for them when they have the CCJ?

So 25 to apply for the CCJ, and 77 to enforce it? Thats almost certainly more than they paid for the debt isn't it?

Not heard of Lowell executing CCJs with Court Bailiffs.....and they wont for a judgment of 300

Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast