Ford clutch replacement woes!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I booked my car in a good few weeks ago for a new clutch (powershift), had been putting it off for a while and finally decided to bite the bullet.

Got the quote which was just over 1k which I was happy with.

the day came and Ford (evans halshaw) collected the car, and told me it would be a couple of days, so far so good.

I get a call a few days later from the service manager who told me they'd replaced the clutch, and it turned out the new clutch was faulty...and it was the last one available in the UK atm and it could be another 3-4 weeks as it's on backorder.

I have another car I can use so I kept my cool, and asked what they can offer to compensate for this, to which I was told there were no loan cars available for a month, and he would speak to Ford about reducing the cost of the work.

He came back later and said they would reduce the price by £100! I am without a car until probably the end of June, with only a small discount offered.

Additional point - the car is undrivable now as I assume they didn't want to spend 6 hours putting the old clutch back on

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be asking for in this kind of situation? I can't help but feel I may have been kind on them when they called!

you answered you own question- you have another car you can use, they are reducing the cost by a bit and other than the aggravation of not having that car when you still have to tax and insure it there is nowt you can really do bout the situation. Put the old clutch back in and go through al of this hassles again in a months time? Is it worth it as you have another car.

That would certainly cause a problem as the Cortina did not come out until 1962!

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

EH, in this instance, are not talking rubbish, the latest, modified, PowerShift clutch pack is currently on back order, Ford are currently waiting for stock from LUK, the manufacturer.

If EH were to fit an old type it would almost certainly go wrong or be no better than the old one.

I do wish that people wouldn't post when they have no clue about the facts.

H

Edited by Andyorch
Edited

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Do you know the reg number?

Have you checked the stock?

As far as i can make up, unless the op has done 100k miles in a year, we're most likely talking about a clutch which is due for renewal, not the latest technology out in 2018.

If the op is kind enough to come back with more info we could possibly advise better.

From his part he could ring a different ford dealer and ask if the part is available.

I know for a fact that vw stocks clutches en-mass for cars produced up to a couple of years ago and i suppose ford does the same.

Of course if you're after a clutch for a new model produced June 2018 you might struggle as they won't expect a clutch replacement on a new vehicle, but even then, i don't believe for a second that in today's world it's impossible to get hold of a part for 6 months.

Edited by Andyorch
Edited.

Do you know the reg number?

Have you checked the stock?

As far as i can make up, unless the op has done 100k miles in a year, we're most likely talking about a clutch which is due for renewal, not the latest technology out in 2018.

If the op is kind enough to come back with more info we could possibly advise better.

From his part he could ring a different ford dealer and ask if the part is available.

I know for a fact that vw stocks clutches en-mass for cars produced up to a couple of years ago and i suppose ford does the same.

Of course if you're after a clutch for a new model produced June 2018 you might struggle as they won't expect a clutch replacement on a new vehicle, but even then, i don't believe for a second that in today's world it's impossible to get hold of a part for 6 months.

No I don't know the Reg No. How would I?

I don't need to know the Reg No. to know the stock levels. How do I do this? I'm not going to tell.

Sadly, I do know more about the Ford PowerShift technology and it's clutch's than is good for me.

'As far as I can make up' sums up your post perfectly.

H

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

As you don't know what vehicle we're talking about, how do you know what parts are in stock?

And I'm the one talking rubbish...

I bet i can get any ford clutch of your choice delivered to my door in 10 days max, how can a dealer claim that it's gonna be 3-4 weeks?

Well, there are two types of Ford Powershift. The dual clutch pack on larger vehicles is a wet one, the clutch discs run in the transmission oil and Ford hardly ever has issues with these.

The Powershift dual clutch pack on the smaller vehicles is the one which gives a certain amount of trouble, Fiesta, B-Max, Focus etc. These clutch packs ave been modified several times and the the latest ones are on back order. The modified clutch pack comes as kit with various vehicle applications.

As I said, EH can and could fit a previously listed part but they should not. It looks like they haven't. Which is good.

I suspect you have already forgotten the OP is posting about a Powershift Clutch with is very different to a generic clutch.

A Powershift dual clutch pack delivered to your door, if it really is a dual clutch pack, will almost certainly be of the older type and not the new, modified one. Try this, I'm sure a supplier would be willing to send you an old, obsolete part just to get rid of it.

Do you want me to explain the operation of a Powershift Clutch and how it differs from a manual transmission and a traditional hydraulic automatic box?

When in a hole, you should stop digging, instead, you appear to have changed your spade for a bigger one.

H

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Lets wait for the OP to return chaps rather than get into the complexities of the Ford Powershift clutches.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Well its of no interest to the forum or the OP apart from entertaining yourselves on who knows more...now thats boring:wink:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I disagree Andytorch, it is far from boring. I agree that the OP has not specified which vehicle is the subject to his complaint, but Hammy has explained the two options of what has been disclosed by the OP, that it is a powershift transmission.

Other countries have experienced something similar and whilst there may be subtle differences, the general situation of a shortage of specific components due to inordinate failure of the design is well known.

Unfortunately Hammy is obviously too knowledgeable for some people so perhaps they might be bored, but for many who may look at this thread it is revealing and may help them when choosing a replacement vehicle. Of course the 'tinkerers' will always know best.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Fact, we still don't know what vehicle we're talking about.

Fact!

Speculation not to be mixed with expert opinions.

I would be right thinking that if i went to a mechanic and asked how much and how long it would take to change a ford clutch and they told me they can't source the part without knowing what vehicle it is for, the mechanic is not to be trusted.

Fact!

Did i say "Fact!"?

Apologies to those readers who are are bored. But if you are that bored with it all why are you still reading about it!

I don't need to know what vehicle it is. I already know the range of clutch kit it will be and the type of vehicle doesn't make a blind bit of difference. It might be a Ford Engine and Powershift transmission shoe-horned into a Reliant Robin, it still needs a modified clutch kit. (I appreciate the Robin is however rear wheel drive so this would be a tad difficult!)

You may see, under other posters signatures, a disclaimer which recommends seeking 'professional' advice if the poster is not sure about the quality of the advice given. Well, in matters such as this, I am that professional. You don't need to know how, or why.

Frankly, if you don't get it now, you never will.

H

GARUDALINUX.ORG

King12345, You really do not make any sense whatsoever.

I do wish I could disclose to you just what I do everyday, but I just can't on a public forum.

Over and out.

H

GARUDALINUX.ORG

You finally admitted that the op needs professional advice.

Good enough.

Yet:

You may see, under other posters signatures, a disclaimer which recommends seeking 'professional' advice if the poster is not sure about the quality of the advice given. Well, in matters such as this, I am that professional. You don't need to know how, or why.

They also pointed out that, in this situation, they ARE 'that professional'.

Why cherry-pick and ignore that salient fact?

Of course, you could always say why you felt that they weren't actually qualified to comment, but (given their extensive posting history on such matters), you'll just be shown to be 'firing from the hip' again.

Anyone who knows Google could get the same info about this clutch.

Am i an expert in quantum physics if i copy and paste things i find on Google on the subject?

Do we stick to facts (we don't know what vehicle it is) or do we speculate?

Tread temporarily closed until the OP returns to clarify the points raised.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks