style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am looking for information held about me from social services before and after I was adopted.

I was adopted in 2007 when I was 9. I was adopted along with my 2 brothers. I understand there may be implications for access to data relating to either of them.

Is it as easy as sending a SAR's to the heads of childrens and families in the area I was from and the area I was adopted to i,e Inverclyde council and South lanarkshire council.

Any help and advice is appreciated. Both my birth mother and adopted mother now have dementia so the option of asking either is no longer an option.

Thanks

NJ

I'm not able to give you specific information as to the problems relating to data disclosure concerning adoption. However, I imagine the agencies are well used to it and will have all their policies in place – including, maybe, defensive policies.

I would suggest the best thing to do is simply to begin by sending off the SARs and see what you get and see what objections are raised to particular areas of data. Then come back here and let us know and maybe we can be more helpful.

I'm so sorry to hear about the dementia of your birth mother and adoptive mother. I understand very well that they may not be able to tell you much – but might it not be possible for them at least to sign off an SAR sent out in their name?

It occurs to me also that there are probably adoption organisations/support groups which will be very experienced about this kind of thing and will help you deal with any defensive posture that you might come across. However, I'm quite sure that the first thing to do is simply send off the SARs