style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Myself and two others were due to sign contracts to move into a 3 bed flat this Saturday, but one of my prospective housemates quit his job and pulled out last minute. Me and the remaining person can't find a replacement, nor do we want a random off of spare room.

Problem is, we paid a £338 holding fee each and have now lost this as a result. The person that pulled out originally said they would pay me and the other person back the £338 each that we'd lost, but has now gone AWOL. The other person is furious (I tend not to fret) and we were wondering if there was any legal action we could take to get our money back off the person who caused the move to collapse?

Thanks

I would be looking towards the letting agent with regards to holding fees and refunds (Terms & Conditions ) ...this was through a letting agent ?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy,

Yes it was through a lettings agency. The receipt we got after transferring them the deposit says;

"Should your application be unsuccessful because you or any proposed joint tenant(s) changed your or their mind(s) and withdraw, or because we or the landlord deem your references unsatisfactory, or the commencement date is delayed by you for more than three weeks from the date of the signature, then monies will be retained against administration costs and the remaining balance to the landlord for loss of rent whilst property was off the market."

In the original email requesting the holding fee, it wasn't stipulated under what circumstances it would be nonreturnable. Furthermore, the receipt emailed out to us was of a contract format with two areas for signatures at the bottom. The agency had signed their section, but as we did not enter the agency office at any point, the 'applicant' section was unsigned.

Here is the receipt for the holding fee.

Untitled.jpg

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Could you please convert your upload to PDF James..too small to read

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service