Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Apr 2013

Default Terrible living conditions - Verbally abused - Possibly will be kicked out - HELP

I've decided to post this in the Homelessness section, despite there being several issues at once and I need your advice, but mods, feel free to move this to a different section if necessary.

My situation:

- Just about to become 50
    - Have lived in a terrible and dodgy guest house for 2.5 years. It wasn't dodgy and terrible when I went there
    - When I went there I had a job and a single room. Now I've been on the dole for some time (on and off) and I am forced to share a room with other people.
    - New people and new staff have come through the years and they have brought... how can I say.. dirtbags! Dodgy and abusive gits, people with a hefty criminal record, etc.
    - The owners are the same but have given up on patrolling the place. They only come every now and again.
    - Over the months I've been verbally abused by both staff and guests, mainly because I'm not in their circle of booze and drugs and what have you. This afternoon I was threatened by a fellow guest for petty reasons. I managed to speak to the owners. One of them says he'll do what he can but I can't trust him anymore.
    - I'm struggle to find a job and leaving the place immediately is not an option. Virtually no landlord would rent to a 50yo unemployed, at least not in my area. So, in other owrds, I'm stuck here.
    - Part of the staff (the dodgy ones) hate me and they told me straight in my face that they'll do what they can to convince the landlords to kick me out (I have no formal rental contract. I pay month to month) and I think they are very close to their goal.

So my questions are:
    1) In the immediate what can I do? I was thinking of calling the police but what can they do? And the landlords have already hinted that if I call the police, my future at the place is at stake.

2) If they do kick me out, can I receive help as homeless? I'm on benefits, but I have some savings (under 6k).

Please I beg you not to think I'm just an intentional bum. I was in IT circa 10-15 years ago but my career is finished and I have nowhere to go. Thanks for reading.

Default Re: Terrible living conditions - Verbally abused - Possibly will be kicked out - HELP

Hi

Are you sure this is a Guest House? sounds more like a Hostel

Did you decide to move into a Guest House yourself or were you placed there?

You are in a difficult situation especially if you cannot easily move elsewhere.

Now I am going to mention the Police and they Council, with both of these you insist that you wish to remain anonymous.

Contact the Police to arrange a meeting the your local community officer at a suitable venue and explain what is going on in the Guest House and insist that you want to remain anonymous due to the threats made against you.

The Council ask to speak to the department that deals with Guest Houses and make a formal complaint to them and that it should also be passed to the anti social behaviour team and again that you wish to remain anonymous due to the threats.

Look up all the different Housing Associations / Council Housing in your area and get a Housing Application filled in for each one as this gets you added to there housing list and at least you are on there waiting lists for housing (yes it can take some time to even get an offer) make sure if you move to inform them as most will annually review if you want to remain on list and if no response from you then removed from list so this is important.

This PDFicon may be of use:

PDFicon Views: 9 Size: 651.2 KB">Incident Log-with form fields -----.pdf

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

How to Start Your Own Thread **CLICK HERE**

Credit Reference Agencies: Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.
    If you wish to check my advice please seek other independent/professional sources.

Be assured that our advice and support is FREE on CAG.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Follows
    Following

Default Re: Terrible living conditions - Verbally abused - Possibly will be kicked out - HELP

It is also worth contacting Shelter, either a personal visit or call to the nearest office, or using their online chat service: https://www.shelter.org.uk/

I have found spareroom to be quite useful for locating lodgings and lodgers. Have used it to source a lodger in the past, and I was quite happy to accept HB from the right applicant. There are avenues that you can explore, so don't give up hope of finding somewhere decent even if it means looking in different areas of the country.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by stu007 View Post
    Hi

Are you sure this is a Guest House? sounds more like a Hostel
    It was a proper guest house; now it looks like a halfway house, but legally this is not a social hostel. They are on booking.com and a few other portals.
    Did you decide to move into a Guest House yourself or were you placed there?
    I decided it myself. I was working back then and it was at a stone's throw from work
    You are in a difficult situation especially if you cannot easily move elsewhere.

Now I am going to mention the Police and they Council, with both of these you insist that you wish to remain anonymous.

Contact the Police to arrange a meeting the your local community officer at a suitable venue and explain what is going on in the Guest House and insist that you want to remain anonymous due to the threats made against you.

The Council ask to speak to the department that deals with Guest Houses and make a formal complaint to them and that it should also be passed to the anti social behaviour team and again that you wish to remain anonymous due to the threats.

Look up all the different Housing Associations / Council Housing in your area and get a Housing Application filled in for each one as this gets you added to there housing list and at least you are on there waiting lists for housing (yes it can take some time to even get an offer) make sure if you move to inform them as most will annually review if you want to remain on list and if no response from you then removed from list so this is important.

Thanks.

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    It is also worth contacting Shelter, either a personal visit or call to the nearest office, or using their online chat service:
    Shelter have told me they can only deal me if and when I am evicted, and also they said that, prospectively, they wouldn't consider it as a proper eviction as there's no rental contract. The CAB in my area is pretty much useless.

Basic Account Holder

Hi

Hi Stu007,
    have you got an excel spreadsheet copy of this pdf? It's very difficult for me to edit. Thanks.

Hi charles1975

Its in PDFicon Format only.

Could I ask what issue your having with the PDFicon?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

How to Start Your Own Thread **CLICK HERE**

Credit Reference Agencies: Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.
    If you wish to check my advice please seek other independent/professional sources.

Be assured that our advice and support is FREE on CAG.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Hi charles1975

Its in PDFicon Format only.

Could I ask what issue your having with the PDFicon?
    I find it difficult to fill it and edit.

I'll make a spreadsheet version myself.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details