• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Terrible living conditions - Verbally abused - Possibly will be kicked out - HELP

charles1975
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've decided to post this in the Homelessness section, despite there being several issues at once and I need your advice, but mods, feel free to move this to a different section if necessary.

My situation:

- Just about to become 50

- Have lived in a terrible and dodgy guest house for 2.5 years. It wasn't dodgy and terrible when I went there

- When I went there I had a job and a single room. Now I've been on the dole for some time (on and off) and I am forced to share a room with other people.

- New people and new staff have come through the years and they have brought... how can I say.. dirtbags! Dodgy and abusive gits, people with a hefty criminal record, etc.

- The owners are the same but have given up on patrolling the place. They only come every now and again.

- Over the months I've been verbally abused by both staff and guests, mainly because I'm not in their circle of booze and drugs and what have you. This afternoon I was threatened by a fellow guest for petty reasons. I managed to speak to the owners. One of them says he'll do what he can but I can't trust him anymore.

- I'm struggle to find a job and leaving the place immediately is not an option. Virtually no landlord would rent to a 50yo unemployed, at least not in my area. So, in other owrds, I'm stuck here.

- Part of the staff (the dodgy ones) hate me and they told me straight in my face that they'll do what they can to convince the landlords to kick me out (I have no formal rental contract. I pay month to month) and I think they are very close to their goal.

So my questions are:

1) In the immediate what can I do? I was thinking of calling the police but what can they do? And the landlords have already hinted that if I call the police, my future at the place is at stake.

2) If they do kick me out, can I receive help as homeless? I'm on benefits, but I have some savings (under £6k).

Please I beg you not to think I'm just an intentional bum. I was in IT circa 10-15 years ago but my career is finished and I have nowhere to go. Thanks for reading.

Hi

Are you sure this is a Guest House? sounds more like a Hostel

Did you decide to move into a Guest House yourself or were you placed there?

You are in a difficult situation especially if you cannot easily move elsewhere.

Now I am going to mention the Police and they Council, with both of these you insist that you wish to remain anonymous.

Contact the Police to arrange a meeting the your local community officer at a suitable venue and explain what is going on in the Guest House and insist that you want to remain anonymous due to the threats made against you.

The Council ask to speak to the department that deals with Guest Houses and make a formal complaint to them and that it should also be passed to the anti social behaviour team and again that you wish to remain anonymous due to the threats.

Look up all the different Housing Associations / Council Housing in your area and get a Housing Application filled in for each one as this gets you added to there housing list and at least you are on there waiting lists for housing (yes it can take some time to even get an offer) make sure if you move to inform them as most will annually review if you want to remain on list and if no response from you then removed from list so this is important.

This PDF may be of use:

Incident Log-with form fields -----.pdf

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It is also worth contacting Shelter, either a personal visit or call to the nearest office, or using their online chat service: https://www.shelter.org.uk/

I have found spareroom to be quite useful for locating lodgings and lodgers. Have used it to source a lodger in the past, and I was quite happy to accept HB from the right applicant. There are avenues that you can explore, so don't give up hope of finding somewhere decent even if it means looking in different areas of the country.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi

Are you sure this is a Guest House? sounds more like a Hostel

It was a proper guest house; now it looks like a halfway house, but legally this is not a social hostel. They are on booking.com and a few other portals.

Did you decide to move into a Guest House yourself or were you placed there?

I decided it myself. I was working back then and it was at a stone's throw from work

You are in a difficult situation especially if you cannot easily move elsewhere.

Now I am going to mention the Police and they Council, with both of these you insist that you wish to remain anonymous.

Contact the Police to arrange a meeting the your local community officer at a suitable venue and explain what is going on in the Guest House and insist that you want to remain anonymous due to the threats made against you.

The Council ask to speak to the department that deals with Guest Houses and make a formal complaint to them and that it should also be passed to the anti social behaviour team and again that you wish to remain anonymous due to the threats.

Look up all the different Housing Associations / Council Housing in your area and get a Housing Application filled in for each one as this gets you added to there housing list and at least you are on there waiting lists for housing (yes it can take some time to even get an offer) make sure if you move to inform them as most will annually review if you want to remain on list and if no response from you then removed from list so this is important.

This PDF may be of use:

[ATTACH]72205[/ATTACH]

Thanks.

It is also worth contacting Shelter, either a personal visit or call to the nearest office, or using their online chat service:

Shelter have told me they can only deal me if and when I am evicted, and also they said that, prospectively, they wouldn't consider it as a proper eviction as there's no rental contract. The CAB in my area is pretty much useless.

• 1 month later...

Hi charles1975

Its in PDF Format only.

Could I ask what issue your having with the PDF?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group