Working with a criminal record

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I am hoping to start a new course with the open university, in all honesty I wanted to study maths and English and then study law, I have been told by my solicitor that I probably won't be able to go any further with That, I was wondering if someone could advise me what course I can still take? I will provide my criminal recored I'm not ashamed of it I did what I did and moved on from it, they where commited at a teen age of 18 and under.

1. being carried in a motor vehicle taken without consent 08/2005

2. being carried in a motor vehicle taken without consent 10/2005

3. breach of community order 02/2006

4. taken motor vehicle without consent

03/2006

1. Using vehicle while uninsured 03/2006

2. Driving otherwise than in accordance

with a license 03/2006

3. Breach of conditional discharge

03/2006

5. Handling stolen goods 09/2006

6. Criminal damage.

I understand what I did over 10 years ago was wrong I was punished for my actions but I am trying to move on from it with a decent career please no negative thoughts!!

Thanks

The article is correct, there is nothing stopping you studying for a law degree (at least, the academic stage: the LLB).

The issue is if the SRA /BSB would consider you a fit / proper person to then use the law degree to undertake training as a solicitor / barrister.

You could almost certainly do a LPC or BPTC, but there seems little point if the SRA/BSB would then not permit you to be a trainee solicitor / bar pupil.

That article notes they consider each case on its own merits. Whilst the offences were 10+ years ago they will never become 'spent' as far as a career in the administration of justice. You can however make the point that you haven't offended for 11+ years,

if all of the above resulted in non custodial sentences then the chances are better for getting what you want at the end of your degree. You will be more likely to be allowed to work under the supervision of someone else rather than on your own

have a read here, it's not impossible. was criminal damage also 2006? So 12 years clean?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/apr/25/prisoners-law-degrees

Nice find by the way.

My take on this is that you should pursue your dreams

That is the way you will get true happiness

Even if the SRA refuse your application (no evidence yet), you will still have achieved a lot and found joy.

You could go on to have a PhD in Law, nobody knows

Just follow your dream and let tomorrow take care of itself

Crack on with your law degree, it's a very good degree to have with transferable skills for many jobs.

However, the chances of you being allowed to practice as a Solicitor or Barrister are next to zero I'm afraid so I would not waste the £10,000.00 + on doing the LPC or BVC.

Thank you for your replys everyone, after reading your replys and looking at some useful links I left it a couple days to think, and I will continue with my course :)