Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    Gi- Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Feb 2018

Default Working with a criminal record

Hello all,

I am hoping to start a new course with the open university, in all honesty I wanted to study maths and English and then study law, I have been told by my solicitor that I probably won't be able to go any further with That, I was wondering if someone could advise me what course I can still take? I will provide my criminal recored I'm not ashamed of it I did what I did and moved on from it, they where commited at a teen age of 18 and under.

1. being carried in a motor vehicle taken without consent 08/2005

2. being carried in a motor vehicle taken without consent 10/2005

3. breach of community order 02/2006

4. taken motor vehicle without consent
    03/2006

1. Using vehicle while uninsured 03/2006
    2. Driving otherwise than in accordance
    with a license 03/2006
    3. Breach of conditional discharge
    03/2006

5. Handling stolen goods 09/2006

6. Criminal damage.

I understand what I did over 10 years ago was wrong I was punished for my actions but I am trying to move on from it with a decent career please no negative thoughts!!

Thanks

Gold Account Holder Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative Emmzzi Authoritative

Cagger since : Jun 2012

Default Working with a criminal record

have a read here, it's not impossible. was criminal damage also 2006? So 12 years clean?

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...rs-law-degrees

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Gi- Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by Emmzzi View Post
    have a read here, it's not impossible. was criminal damage also 2006? So 12 years clean?

Hi there, yes it was actually 2005,

Thanks

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative

Cagger since : Mar 2009

Default Re: Working with a criminal record

The article is correct, there is nothing stopping you studying for a law degree (at least, the academic stage: the LLB).

The issue is if the SRA /BSB would consider you a fit / proper person to then use the law degree to undertake training as a solicitor / barrister.
    You could almost certainly do a LPC or BPTC, but there seems little point if the SRA/BSB would then not permit you to be a trainee solicitor / bar pupil.

That article notes they consider each case on its own merits. Whilst the offences were 10+ years ago they will never become 'spent' as far as a career in the administration of justice. You can however make the point that you haven't offended for 11+ years,

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

if all of the above resulted in non custodial sentences then the chances are better for getting what you want at the end of your degree. You will be more likely to be allowed to work under the supervision of someone else rather than on your own

Basic Account Holder
    dondada Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Emmzzi View Post

Nice find by the way.

My take on this is that you should pursue your dreams

That is the way you will get true happiness

Even if the SRA refuse your application (no evidence yet), you will still have achieved a lot and found joy.

You could go on to have a PhD in Law, nobody knows

Just follow your dream and let tomorrow take care of itself

Gold Account Holder Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative

Cagger since : Jun 2008

Crack on with your law degree, it's a very good degree to have with transferable skills for many jobs.

However, the chances of you being allowed to practice as a Solicitor or Barrister are next to zero I'm afraid so I would not waste the 10,000.00 + on doing the LPC or BVC.

Basic Account Holder
    Gi- Novitiate

Thank you for your replys everyone, after reading your replys and looking at some useful links I left it a couple days to think, and I will continue with my course

Gold Account Holder Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative Ganymede Authoritative

Cagger since : Jun 2008

Good decision.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details