• Tweets

• The brand, which runs 216 shops as well as franchised stores, is looking at ways to save cash.View the full article
    • The latest figures show 4% of Scots were registered as unemployed - a 0.4% drop on the autumn rate.View the full article
    • I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lifestyle Fitness and Harlands problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Ross, Slick and Co.

in a similar boat (I have cancelled direct debit with Lifestyle Fitness, and have Harlands on my arse, currently billing me 40.99 when my cancellation is only 14.99).

Hands up, I thought cancelling my DD was the way to cancel as it was in the e-mail they sent at the start. However am now in this situation.

I want to know how far they take it. *Questions directed to whoever is able to respond

For example

1. did you send letter as in post #27? if so what was outcome?

2. can Zinc or the debt collection agency etc effect my credit score?

3. can I jump at them already and start making complaints through FCA, CMA etc.?

thanks

you need to start a new thread

of your OWN please

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Rowlocks and welcome to CAG

Posts moved to your own new thread to use from here on .........

In case you need to cancel a gym agreement in the future, see the Guide here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?452671-Cancelling-your-Gym-Agreement-Get-it-right-!

See this post that you could adapt and use for your case with Lifestyle Fitness - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?487279-Lifestyle-fitness-Credit-Resolution-Services&p=5121232&viewfull=1#post5121232

Read as many threads here as you can - you'll find many similar cases with lots of advice about how to treat Harlands/CRS, The Zinc Group and whoever they use as their pet solicitor at any given time.

1. Before you do anything though, was yours a monthly rolling,or a 12 month agreement.

2. When did you sign up if it was a 12 month agreement.

3. Approx when did you cancel the DD mandate.

Too early yet to complain to anyone as, currently, it may well be YOU who is in the wrong. You could only complain once Harlands/CRS are in the wrong by applying increasing admin fees and harassing you AFTER you've made a proper offer to settle as necessary.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

1. monthly rolling

2. n/a

3. I cancelled the direct debit 17 may before my 26 may payment was due (I had not used the gym this month, I was originally unaware of the cancellation process)

Harlands have now incurred 'admin fees' and will not reduce them. They are aware I wish to cancel. They told me the only way to reduce the fees / get rid of them is for the gym to tell them to and that it was their error. Harlands have frozen my account for two weeks for me to raise it with the gym etc.

I spoke to my gym in March to cancel, someone said it was fine. So I cancelled my direct debit after I paid April.

I have e-mailed gym asking/ telling them to update Harlands.

Hi Rowlocks,

Harlands have now incurred 'admin fees' and will not reduce them. They are aware I wish to cancel. They told me the only way to reduce the fees / get rid of them is for the gym to tell them to and that it was their error. Harlands have frozen my account for two weeks for me to raise it with the gym etc.

They may not reduce their fees but they also won't enforce them !!

Read other threads here for inspiration.

Use that letter I linked in my post above but leave out the first paragraph.

Speak to no one on the phone, not Harlands/CRS nor the gym. Neither will assist you in any way.

Harlands/CRS will make demands and threats but they will not actually DO anything.

Just send Harlands the letter and let us know what Harlands/CRS come back with in reply.

Read, read, read ............

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick,

An update:

This is the e-mail I sent to the gym directly, yesterday 29/05/18:

To Lifestyle Fitness Cardiff,

Despite having cancelled my membership in March and paying my April cancellation fee - I am appalled to of have received letters from Harlands advising me that I am in arrears.

I believe that when I cancelled my membership the correct actions were not taken, as Harlands has no evidence of a cancellation, hence the charges.

Enraged, I have tried to contact you by telephone, however, your phone line seems to be dead.

I have contacted the consumer helpline and risen a formal enquiry and will be furthering it with the competition and markets authority if necessary, citing the Consumer Rights Act of 2015.

As a student who is heavily involved in student welfare and in an influential position, I will also be updating all relevant student bulletins regarding health and fitness at Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cardiff University, and USW warning of the very dodgy, unfair Lifestyle Fitness.

I will also be sending a university wide email to spread across all three servers advising all students to avoid Lifestyle Fitness as if it were the plague, to avoid being unfairly and illegitimately charged.

I will strongly advise using one of the more responsible competitors such as thegym or easygym, listing their attributes one of which being that they run a transparent system. Furthermore, I will advise the Students Union that any space or attempts at any fayre should be politely declined as to discourage exploitation.

I request that you, immediately, email Harlands the correct information that: NAME SURNAME, customer reference ##### did in fact cancel his membership in March as per discussed on the telephone and that I have no outstanding debts with you or Harlands. Having wasted half a day speaking with them, I understand that power to remove these charges therein lies with you as Lifestyle Fitness, Cardiff.

Regards

NAME SURNAME

To which I received this e-mail which I was CC'd in.

To: ICS Customer Service

CC: (me)

Hi team,

Please cancel down and wipe any arrears in regards to this membership.

Thank you

*Manger name* Club manager

Lifestyle Fitness etc. etc.

I'll see what happens from here and update you.

Any advice as of yet?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

well done sorted!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Rowlocks,

Your complaint was way too long and verbose but who cares - if the gym orders Harlands/CRS to back off and close your case, that's a RESULT !!

So well done and keep us posted of further contact.

Hi Rowlocks,

Your complaint was way too long and verbose but who cares - if the gym orders Harlands/CRS to back off and close your case, that's a RESULT !!

So well done and keep us posted of further contact.

Slick and dx,

I absolutely agree way too verbose! I laughed the whole time I wrote it though.

Received this from gym as response to complaint e-mail:

Hi *name*,

Is important you know that from last Friday, Lifestyle Fitness Cardiff has been sold to a completely different gym company known as Riverside Leisure and therefore any emails regarding your situation across the University would be ineffective. We do not exist in Wales anymore.

We will however wipe all arrears and cancel down your membership.

Thank you.

**name** Club Manager

Hi Rowlocks,

It doesn't matter about the gym's response and I assume you won't be complaining as threatened (because the fault was originally yours !!).

Let us know when Harlands/CRS confirm they are backing off.