style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well there i was Tawnyowl just roosting in the canopy of a local tree.

The sun was shining a gentle breeze blowing from the South.

Everything was as it should be.

As usual from time to time i checked the weather forums when horror,the headlines:!:

I nearly fell from my roost.

Stormy UK Weather: 13,000 Lightning Strikes And More To Come

Not that you'd know it if you're in Northern England or Scotland, but it's been a stormy 24 hours. The thunderstorms have brought over 13,000 lightning strikes across southern Britain and the Channel, with more to come through the remainder of the long weekend and into next week.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8933-stormy-uk-weather-13000-lightning-strikes-and-more-to-come

A quick lightning detector for people out there in Webland
so you can see what may be heading your way.Then i will continue.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#x=;m=sat;r=0;t=2;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;

Where was i up to,oh yes.As far as i know we are still in Spring but nearing Summer.

Looking around over the last few weeks i have seen due to many reasons the possibilities of a summer like 1976.

If you were around this was a summer to remember,i hope i have the year right.

It was blistering hot for many weeks.

Bacardi and Coke etc.

Tunes like

I Recall a Gypsy Woman,well i do not recall much of that summer it must have been the Bacardi was a tune around along with Dont go breaking my heart-Elton John-Kiki Dee along with the Bee Gees-You Should Be Dancing tunes like those.

Well just thought i would pop in start a thread on summer 2018.

See what develops as the summer goes by,and of course it keeps me rambling away about something.:-(

Some of you must have been woken by the thunder and lightning for sure.

Go on tell us what it has been like where you are.

And of course recollections of summers gone by.

Old Tawnyowl,off to my roost to remember years of summers gone by.

Charge your quills dip in ink and let a memory of yours free.

Or a pencil or pen if no quills available.

Bye.

Tawnyowl.

1975 was the first of the 2 hot summers England v Australia at cricket, Lillee and Thomson tearing through the English batting order and then we brought in cold Steele to counteract them. Exciting cricket but the scores werent massive so not as one sided as many test series such as the tour down under 76-77.

Me. working for Northampton Development Corporation as an archeologist- free beer from the Carlsberg brewery being the greatest perk of the job. Lager really tok off in the Uk from then on.

Hi ericsbrother.

Sounds like you have had a very interesting life.

Cricket like Snooker has never been one of those sports i have followed strongly.

However you do get chances every now and again to check things out and then wonder what have i missed perhaps.

So a little story.

It was a boiling hot day back in 70s-80s,cannot be sure of the exact time or year,i should look it up.

I was on patrol in a place called Stanley Park Blackpool.Probably checking out the nature which i still do.

I heard what sounded like a good few people in the local cricket ground in the park.

This was on the outskirts of the park.

So made my way over there.I knew the park quite well.

Being not very flush as usual i prised myself over one hell of a wall and over the other side.

The turnstiles, i was a little allergic to spending my last few pounds if i had any which i doubt.

Some things do not seem to change but health is the most important not the wealth you have.

What greeted me but some familiar faces even to myself.

A friendly was being played only the West Indies v not sure but Cricketers from many counties.

Ian Botham,Viv Richards a chap called Jack Simmons i believe and many more.

I remember a touch of that day,the friendliness of Jack Simmons between overs chatting to the spectators and signing Autographs by the boundary line where he was fielding.A big smile on his face.

Ian Botham,well there is a story.And how many can recall Viv Richards.

They seem to chat to each other while bowling or batting as i remember.

A touch of banter.

Well Botham was as chilled out as can be,hitting the ball with ease straight into the car park where windscreens were being smashed and increasing.This had people quickly running to move their cars but had me chuckling.

But also as it was so hot,no time to relax otherwise a ball might land on your head,ha.

Just a short memory of a hot day.

But no free Lager,the bar was packed out.I must look up that match see who else was playing that day.

And i am glad i do not drink,by choice as i heard the other day,lager is a fiver a pint in London nowadays.

But could be tempted to have a Bacardi as the weather has been blistering hot in the North West by the coast.

Or one of those small bottles of Lager they bring over from Europe,or used to nice and chilled.

A North Easterly has done us no harm at all here.It creates cloudless skies.

Better go now this post is probably getting long.

See you,any more memories of summers gone by let them free.

Someone might like to hear them and remind them of a story they have to tell.

My first ever £1 pint was at Trent Bridge in Nottingham, beer even in London was about 60p a pint back then. I used to watch a lot of cricket but dont have the time or money any more. Test match tickets way too expensive

Better put a forecast on for this weekend and a look at the week ahead

Will it be warm sunshine this weekend, or torrential downpours and a soaking?

Plenty more warmth, humidity and the tricky mix of heavy sometimes thundery showers with bright or sunny spells.

Plenty more on the link.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8943-will-it-be-warm-sunshine-this-weekend-or-torrential-downpours-and-a-soaking

And who else but Michael Fish to look at the week ahead.Any more stories of weather or summers gone by always like to read whether 1 day ago or 50 years ago.

Ah now where was i,yes the week ahead.I just started wandering ,other thoughts came.I am thinking of visiting a shipwreck and making a video.Been wanting to do it for a few years now.Just a amateur one but it keeps nagging me to crack on.

Just need to time it right,low tide just before actually,you do not want to get caught out for sure as the tide turns.

Nothing worse than making a run for it as i have heard others have done in various places.

And you do not want any of that sea mist to roll in unexpectedly,you might not know where you are.

Be prepared is the name of the game i feel.

Right the week ahead.

Michael Fish: Showers Migrating North, Drying Out From The South.

The weather takes an about turn this weekend with the northern half of the country bearing the brunt of the showers and storms, as the south dries out.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8942-michael-fish-showers-migrating-north-drying-out-from-the-south

Nice recollections ericsbrother of times gone by.

Looking forward to some more tales as time goes by.

Bye for now

Tawnyowl.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i was just going to give out Michael Fishes weekly look a the weather.

But it is not available till Monday.Will post it then.

So a quick look at what may happen next week.

UK Weather On The Change: The Atlantic Is Stirring.

Once upon a time, our weather used to mostly come from the Atlantic, with westerly winds the most common, bringing regular visits from Atlantic lows and weather fronts. It may seem far-fetched, but that reality is coming back this week as the blocked weather finally starts to subside. It's actually quite a regular occurrence at this time of year - May tends to be a blocked month with lots of high pressure, but the 'June Monsoon' usually turns up to blow that away for a period of time.

Much more on the link and check the photos, parts of Scotland yesterday.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8957-uk-weather-on-the-change-the-atlantic-is-stirring

all to do with the jet stream. This is the largest part of our global weather and climate systems that we dont understand and are just starting to realise how much it matters. Jet streams also occur elsewhere and the ones in the Pacific alter our weather systems as they affect the caribbean and thus tropical storm and hurricane generation

The Atlantic Steams In.

Well not great news for some but down to the Shoreline i will go when it eases.

See what treasures it leaves.

Here Comes Hector - Unseasonable June Windstorm For The North

Northern Britain will face some unseasonably windy weather over the next 12 to 24 hours, as Storm Hector, named by the Irish Weather Service, swings northeast past the north of Scotland. This depression will deepen over the next 12 hours as it approaches the northwest of Britain. A powerful jet stream crossing the Atlantic and sharpening upper trough behind the depression will work in tandem to intensify Storm Hector, with the isobars tightening on the southern and western flank of the low as its central pressure falls.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8966-here-comes-hector---unseasonable-june-windstorm-for-the-north

And it would not be the thing to leave out the Express would it a times like this.

Looks like the North is going to be worst hit.But we wil see what develops.

UK weather forecast: Storm Hector to hit TONIGHT with STRONGEST summer gales in 30 years

PARTS of Britain will be hammered by the most powerful summer gales in almost 30 years as Storm Hector rips across the UK.

By NATHAN RAO:madgrin:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/973830/UK-weather-forecast-Storm-Hector-latest-rain-tonight-Thursday-Met-Office-June-2018

Tawnyowl picking a safe roost tonight.

Bye.

all to do with the jet stream. This is the largest part of our global weather and climate systems that we dont understand and are just starting to realise how much it matters. Jet streams also occur elsewhere and the ones in the Pacific alter our weather systems as they affect the caribbean and thus tropical storm and hurricane generation

Hi ericsbrother.

Very true,a link.

Jetstream Forecast

The jetstream plays a large role when it comes to the weather across the UK, so from here you can view the latest jetstream forecast right out to 16 days in 3 hour timesteps. Just click the arrow buttons or drag the slider to view the forecasts for different times, or click the animate button to view an animation of the current forecast.

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream

Well i do not know what it is like where you are but it is blowing hard here.

But should not last too long.

Summer will return.

Storm Hector: Forecasters warn of 'severe and potentially damaging gusts' as 35,000 homes remain without power

https://www.independent.ie/weather/storm-hector-forecasters-warn-of-severe-and-potentially-damaging-gusts-as-35000-homes-remain-without-power-37005846.html

Michael Fish: Warmest South - Wettest North-The Week ahead.

With the forecast for the England match mixed in.

After a mixed weekend with a sunnier Sunday following a showery Saturday, next week brings the warmest, driest weather to the south of the country with cooler, wetter weather further north.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8971-michael-fish-warmest-south---wettest-north

Just in case for football fans.

When are England playing in the World Cup 2018?

What time are England's group games on TV? On what channel? Who might they play in the knockout rounds? Here's everything you need to know about the Three Lions at Russia 2018

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2018-06-16/when-are-england-playing-in-the-world-cup-2018/

Tawnyowl here spreading some good news.

Storm Hector blew in then blew out but the news is things are really going to heat up next week.

Possibly into the 90s in some areas

I will update later in the week but leave you with two things.

UK weather - Warm SE today, then fresher blip after last of the rain. Heatwave next week

The ups and downs of the next week. Rainfall totals up in the north today, then not much more at all across the UK. Pressure rising. Temperatures up today in the SE then falling everywhere Thursday Friday.

Through the weekend and all of next week hotting up. The unofficial term heatwave is being bandied about
. Wind speeds up tomorrow making it feel fresher then lighter for days.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8979-uk-weather---warm-se-today-then-fresher-blip-after-last-of-the-rain-heatwave-next-week

Now one of the things when heat is about is sleeping,a fan helps for sure.

But how about my latest Entrepreneurial no 989 adventure possibly.To help people get to sleep.

I am going to make a CD and maybe a DVD showing Views and the gentle noise of waves breaking on the shoreline.

Brilliant idea do you not think:-(

Are you still here or fallen asleep i have that effect on some.

Oh well off to The Shoreline to record some sounds.

Some here know i am a little eccentric at times,i will leave you with a flavour.

Just relax in a chair let your mind slow down and listen to the sound of waves the day after Storm Hector.

Everything is calming down as it should be.

I bet half the people watching that or listening have fallen asleep now.

Bye,back Friday with the weekly look at things to come.

Tawnyowl,zzzzzz.

Michael Fish: Heatwave On The Way
Video.

High pressure stays in charge of the UK's weather right through this weekend and next week, with temperatures climbing up towards heatwave levels by midweek.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8984-michael-fish-heatwave-on-the-way

UK weather - Heat and Sunshine for end of June, lasting into July 32C 90F

The UK is set for a fine, dry and hot spell. No rain, lots of sunshine and temperatures into the high twenties and low thirties Celsius. 28C is 82 Fahrenheit and 32C is 90 F . Summer has truly arrived.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8983-uk-weather---heat-and-sunshine-for-end-of-june-lasting-into-july-32c-90f

Coping in the heatwave sets in. Heat Alert level 2

NHS England in conjunction with the UK Met Office have now upped their Heat health alert level to 2 from 1 for some part of England. Other NHS areas have not bought into this service, so the grey areas do not reflect less heat expected. Temperatures to start the week reached 30C and are forecast to stay well into the twenties C again up to 30c even 31c.

There is a 80 % probability of heatwave conditions between 0900 on Tuesday and 1800 on Thursday in parts of England.

Much more on the link.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8990-coping-in-the-heatwave-sets-in-heat-alert-level-2

Heatwave: UK swelters on another hottest day of the year

The UK has been enjoying - or enduring - another hottest day of the year, with a health warning for heatwave conditions in place for some.

Tuesday saw a top temperature of 30.6C in Porthmadog, Gwynedd - beating Monday's peak of 30.1C in west London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44609502

UK weather forecast-Met Office.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Well as someone who likes hot weather today i finally stayed out of the sun.

Never thought i would see that day having worked outside most of my life.

It seemed to be roasting in Blackpool today.

I could not even be bothered to work or escape to the coastline for some sea breezes.

I will tomorrow though.Only a mile away.

I wonder what some construction workers or any workers are feeling like as this heat continues to bite.Must be uncomfortable for many you would think.

Imagine being a commuter,on the tube something like that.London.

It's dreadful away from the coast as well for the first time in about 6 years I had to water the jungle otherwise known as the lawn

I wish I was up at Cleveleys this time of year as I can only imagine dropping down on the beach in one of the streams

Not looking like I will make it up this year we usually stay at sea hawk but this year we have a dog so cant

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Hi Labrat i will put a video on for you next week to remind you of your times in Cleveleys.

And to help cool you down.

Down there on the shoreline a few times each week in that area as well as other parts of the Lancashire coastline.

And look at how it is affecting things like water supplies etc.

I remember the dense heat away from the coastline when i was working down south in Essex some time ago with no sea breezes to help.

Well as far as i can tell the heat continues.Apart from a few showers every now and again.

And next weekend it looks as if another area of high pressure moves in.

Michael Fish: More Heatwave To Come

The heatwave carries on through this weekend and into next week, with just some subtle changes including the threat of some thundery showers moving into the southwest.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8998-michael-fish-more-heatwave-to-come

looking on the bright side, I have harvested an absolute mountain of soft fruit and my cherries and plums are going to be early this year as well.

in som eplaces the temperature is the hottest for........ wait for it........ 23 years. Mind you the record temp for north Wales dates back to 1893 which is well before official records began

Am I the only one who hates this weather? do not get me wrong, I do not mind some sun but this is ridiculous , the sun hates me! Makes me so ill :( , one reason I have never been abroad.

I like the weather not too hot nor too cold lol xx

Sandy xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Is it bad I'm hoping the hot weather holds?

Im supposed to have solar panels fitted next week and I'm wanting to stress them

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Hi,Tawnyowl here.

Pressure On The Rise And No End To The Dry Spell In Sight

With pressure rising again, there's still no end in sight to the long dry spell.

Good news if you like the heat, but bad news for farmers and gardeners increasingly desperate for rain.

The only hope is that you may be lucky enough to catch the odd rogue shower.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9011-pressure-on-the-rise-and-no-end-to-the-dry-spell-in-sight

Let us see what Michael Fish is saying today about the weekend and the week ahead.

Michael Fish: A Hot Weekend And More Fine Weather Next Week-Video.

And so it goes on - more fine, sunny and often hot weather on the way during the next 7 days.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9012-michael-fish-a-hot-weekend-and-more-fine-weather-next-week

Water levels-Reservoir levels easy to check just ask online.

In my area they say they cannot treat the water fast enough to pump down the pipes.

And a hosepipe ban may soon come into force.

So water levels must be dropping fast as you would expect in all areas.

erics brother sounds like you are enjoying the fruit from your garden.

I have eaten all the cherries on my tree already,just left a few for the birds who stripped it last year.

But i beat them to it this year.

And a mountain of strawberries,but plums would have been nice to have.And maybe gooseberries which i have not had for years.

If you live in North Wales i believe where they filmed the Prisoner was the hottest place in Britain for a couple of days last week.Port Meirion i think it was called.

Also had some great times at Betws-y-Coed,Swallow Falls and Denbigh Castle when young.But i have never forgotten.

A chap called Cluellyn Magnus Jones took me looking for Dippers round that area when about 13 years old.

And came across a field absolutely full of rabbits.Just a memory of North Wales.Must go back sometime.

snowdragon,many must feel uncomfortable in the heat.

By the time we get acclimatised it will probably be on its way out,take care.

And labrat,yes your panels will be put to the test for sure.

And i have not forgotten the video,re sea hawk,coming soon.Just working with the tides.

Keep posting your memories or telling what is happening in your areas way back in the mists of time or up to date happenings.

There must be a tale to tell by many.

Bye for now.

Tawnyowl.

I'm trying to keep track of the ladybower water levels

See if the village reappears I haven't seen it since I was little

Please note:

Hi labrat.

Always interesting when people tell a story on a post.And gives old Tawnyowl a excuse to root around and learn a little.

I had not heard of ladybower before so took a look around.

Video and more photos of the lost villages 'drowned' beneath Ladybower Reservoir

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/revealed-video-and-more-photos-of-the-lost-villages-drowned-beneath-ladybower-reservoir-1-8881172

Postcards show lost villages beneath Ladybower Reservoir

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-42169892

Derwent, Derbyshire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derwent,_Derbyshire

Derbyshire water bosses reveal scale of falling reservoir levels

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/water-levels-reservoirs-derbyshire-severn-1752477

Now i went down to the coast last weekend around the South Pier Blackpool and for a second smelt smoke.

Looked around because the smell of smoke creates a little fear when not expected.Looking through the big one ride at the Pleasure Beach i saw a narrow plume of brownish smoke maybe a mile and a half away in the distance. Did not think much of it really,dismissed the spilt second thought and got on with what i was doing. But a huge bush fire was raging on a nature reserve on the way to St Annes.

For those that like to check things out a video.

Now many of us have felt the heat in our back gardens and when out walking in the woods.

I found myself the other day in a blackened area where a small grass fire had raged maybe 40 meters square the other day and there must be many more that do not make the news.

This has had a effect on the Old Owl and the other day smelt smoke in the back garden.

I keep rather a large collection of Driftwood there and my pulse rate shot up.

And connected hose pipe rather fast and washing up bowl,full of water,ha and went in search of source of smell.

It was only someone having a barbeque some distance away that is all.

But this heat has had a strange effect on me,everything is so dry.I bet i am not the only one who is keeping close watch on things near them.

And when the warm wind is blowing combined with the heat find myself thinking it would not take much to cause a little trouble.

Better leave those thoughts.

This may interest you labrat.Related Cleveleys area.I have walked on these historic forests of old out in the sea near Cleveleys.

From around the Ice Age it is said.

Petrified Forest on Cleveleys Beach

https://visitcleveleys.co.uk/about/history/petrified-forest-on-cleveleys-beach/

And there are villages out there from the past.I sometimes find very old small pieces pottery when Beachcombing and wonder..

But probably form the 50s or sixties.

But what happened to cause these villages to dissapear.

Only a tidal wave way back around 1550,can you believe it.

Ah i suppose i have gone on enough now,any stories from your areas from modern times to present times let others know.Good to read and learn a little.

So what is the latest on the weather i wonder.

Latest Forecast.-Video.

Very high levels of UV in some parts today,

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Signs At Last Of The Heatwave Coming To An End Next Week?

Rain for many of us.

All sorts of happenings combining from a tropical storm off the eastern seaboard of the USA to the jet stream heading south.

The Atlantic is stirring at last.

Suits me,no wind,flat seas means i cannot find any Driftwood on the Shoreline.

Rivers need flushing out,my stocks of certain items are low.

Which means no stock,no money,the end is nigh:-(

And farmers and gardeners will be pleased as well.

Just for a while let the wind and rain begin.

Then let summer return.

Detail and video and in depth look at what is happening on the link.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9020-signs-at-last-of-the-heatwave-coming-to-an-end-next-week

I wish I could go beach combing on a regular basis

Unfortunately I live nowhere near the sea now but always remember grandma's collection of driftwood in Cleveleys

Still have a memory hanging around of her my eldest daughters a zildea named after her

Please note:

Nice memories labrat.

I am lucky to be able to go Beach combing as often as i want.

At the moment all i am finding is mountains of sea weed but the views and healthiness of walking miles make up for that.And is quite tasty.

Just been checking on the forecast on Netweather see what lies ahead.

Another Beach And BBQ Weekend But Change Is Coming

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9027-another-beach-and-bbq-weekend-but-change-is-coming

Michael Fish - Weekly Weather Forecast

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/michael-fish