Universal Credit

Fluffs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Please can someone explain to me how UC works?

I lost my monthly paid job 4 weeks ago and immediately started a claim. The online calculators said I'd get about £850 for 4 weeks.

I've just now been told my payment for the last 4 weeks will be zero after deduction of my final salary payment. What? So anyone who loses their job will effectively get no benefit for the first 4 weeks of the claim?

I have actually got another job starting in a couple weeks time, and it will be paid weekly. DWP explained that I may get UC for the next four weeks even though I am back in work.

I've done some calculations based on how much pay I expect to get in the next four weeks and I reckon I will eventually get about £360 UC for 6 weeks out of work!

Now I have unfortunately had to claim JSA before and I would've got the full 6 weeks JSA + HB under the old system. Can someone explain what is happening now??? :!:

Weird.

Not an expert on UC, but.. Universal Credit is paid once a month and earnings, even if you only worked one week, is entered in to the system as monthly earnings. So if your final pay slip was issued after you started a claim for UC, the DWP would look at it as income for that month.

JSA is calculated on a weekly basis, so if you earned (for example) £750 in one week, you would only lose one week of JSA.

Hope that makes sense.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi

Please can someone explain to me how UC works?

I lost my monthly paid job 4 weeks ago and immediately started a claim. The online calculators said I'd get about £850 for 4 weeks.

I've just now been told my payment for the last 4 weeks will be zero after deduction of my final salary payment. What? So anyone who loses their job will effectively get no benefit for the first 4 weeks of the claim?

I have actually got another job starting in a couple weeks time, and it will be paid weekly. DWP explained that I may get UC for the next four weeks even though I am back in work.

I've done some calculations based on how much pay I expect to get in the next four weeks and I reckon I will eventually get about £360 UC for 6 weeks out of work!

Now I have unfortunately had to claim JSA before and I would've got the full 6 weeks JSA + HB under the old system. Can someone explain what is happening now??? :!:

Weird.

You should have waited until your final salary payment had gone through before claiming UC.

Once you start a UC claim, the first monthly assessment period starts and if you get paid during that period ( or your employer reports it to HMRC), then that net pay will be taken into account. Your UC statement will show a deduction amount for your earnings. If the deduction is more than the various benefit components e.g standard allowance, housing, children, you will receive NIL payment.

Obviously for the second monthly assessment period, if no earnings are reported, then no earnings amount will be deducted from your UC claim. If your employers report some of the weeks pay, then some might be taken into account,

The online calculators should really explain how UC uses Real Time Earnings (RTE) feed data from your employers via HMRC. When you make a claim can really make a difference.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You should have waited until your final salary payment had gone through before claiming UC.

When you make a claim can really make a difference.

Yeah I get that now. You live and learn.