• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

What rights do TV License officers have?

tangotonyb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I paid for a TV license for many years by direct debit without actually ever watching TV.

There was a short period when my ex lived here where she occasionally watched TV, but that was that.

Haven't required a TV license for over 12 months,

I cancelled my direct debit and wrote to the Licensing dept telling them I no longer required a license and would they refund me.

N

They refused to refund me without me giving them one of their reasons for cancelling (no longer needing one was not on the list).

in the end I gave up

- I think it was only a matter of £20 or so anyway i had to claim.

Now I get a letter from them threatening a visit from an enforcement officer who can apply to court for a search warrant!!

On what grounds can a search warrant be issued?

The mere fact that I no longer pay for a TV License?

If an "inspector" turns up, can I simply tell him to [removed] as I already told BBC Licensing I no longer need a license?

Is the onus on me to PROVE i don't need a license?

Or is this simply bully tactics?

Edited by dx100uk
Swearing

You are well within your rights to instruct a TVL "inspector" to leave in what ever manner you feel appropriate. They have no right of entry without a court issued warrant. They will not get one purely on the basis that you had a licence in the past or that you currently own a TV.

I get an endless stream of their threatening missives posted through my letter box. Don't even bother opening them now and just add them to the pile. Only had one visit in the last two years, refused to answer any questions and didn't confirm my name. He eventually left with his tail between his legs, and I've not had anything from the courts.

If you get any more letters from TVL, you could write "RTS" or "Return to sender" across the front, even if it is addressed to the "Legal Occupier". Quite a few people I know of do this, not that it has any effect on the TVL harassment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

They have the right to breath, debatable!

They have a right to knock on your door, but you do not have to answer it, nor do you have to give any info such as name and if you have a tv

they have no right of access, and it is extremely rare that they apply/get warrants to enter and search!

Anymore letters file in the bin!

just like dca

Zero they are not bailiffs!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

My cat has more powers than TVL ever will.

If they come knocking, which is extremely unlikely, then YOU have the right to tell them to leave, or laugh at them and shut the door.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I tend to mess with them a little before I tell them to jog on.

Had one read me the caution once (like it was a PACE interview) then he couldn't understand why I replied "no comment" to anything he asked me afterwards. Kept him on the doorstep for almost an hour (I was bored). When he asked me to sign his form I laughed at him and shut the door. He didn't bother knocking :lol:

• Haha 1

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Had one read me the caution once (like it was a PACE interview) then he couldn't understand why I replied "no comment" to anything he asked me afterwards. :lol:

The feeling of self importance they must get when they spout the caution, guarantee they haven't the first clue what it means.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The feeling of self importance they must get when they spout the caution, guarantee they haven't the first clue what it means.

I might ask the next one to explain it to me. See how they get on :wink:

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

I might ask the next one to explain it to me. See how they get on :wink:

Now that would be worth seeing...

TV Licence Inspector = Capita Employee = No Mark

If one does deign to turn up make sure you do not sign anything as they will lie through their teeth about what it is you are signing. They work on commission.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now that would be worth seeing...

No problem, I'll have it on HD video with sound :lol:

My one and only encounter:

Loud banging on the door almost as if he thought he was the police or something.

Door thrust open (outwards), nearly hitting him in the face.

"Are you Mr.P ?"

"Who the b**** ***l are you ?"

"I'm from TV Licensing, here is my ID"... Waving something in the air that might have been a credit card.

"And ?"...

"Do you have a TV ?"

"That is really none of your business."

"Do you watch TV ?"

"Silly question..."

A few more inane and leading questions followed, each time countered with a "None of your business" or "no comment".

Eventually, he asked if he could come in, and was told quite firmly, NO.

"Why not ?" came the next question.

"Health and safety. You are not wearing the appropriate clothing, nor am i willing to accept liability if you injure yourself."

Tail dropped, and end of conservation. :madgrin:

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who is legally license free and has been for nearly 10 years. I can tell you that TV Licensing have b*gg*r all powers. I would strongly advise against entering into any correspondence with them whether by letter or on the doorstep. You are under no legal obligation to do so or to furnish TVL with any personal details. This includes if they caution you under the Police and Criminal Evidence act.

Those letters that threaten court action and search warrants? Scary aren't they?? Well no.. not really. Read them carefully, they are very cleverly worded psychological threatogram letters. Full of "we may" "we could" etc etc. I've had over 100 of those letters and still have never had a Search Warrant served on me. I actually sent a Freedon of Information act to the BBC a couple of years back and asked how many people were fined the 1,000 they spout on their letters in a 12 month period. It was 8 people. That is just the maximum penalty a magistrate could order for the office under the Communications Act 2003. Most offences tried and prosecuted under CA 2003 are in the region of a couple hundred pounds depending on circumstances.

If you are ever caught off guard with TVL and a caution is read out to you. Exercise your right to Legal Representation and say nothing. This cannot be held against you until you've spoken with a Solicitor and it is your legal right. Also under no circumstances should you sign the record of interview form. They will use that as an admission of guilt and deliberately try and stitch you up. They cannot force you to sign the form.

But the golden rule incase you hadn't gotten the point. No contact. Period. File their letters away in the bin or "return them sender - addressee unknown" and post it back to them. I do this deliberately as they don't write to me by my name. When they can write to me using my name, I shall reconsider my response.

Just to add on a few other things as well. You only need a TV License if you are doing any of the following:

• Watching Live TV i.e. TV Being broadcast right now.
  • Watching programs on the BBC iPlayer

Actual ownership of a Television for the use of a DVD Player, Radio, Games Console, CCTV or for use as a Computer Monitor* does not require a license.

*If you are watching Live Broadcasts or BBC iPlayer on a computer/mobile phone/games console etc etc then you DO need a TV License.

My understanding is that a Search Warrant must be applied for under RIPA (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000) for TV Licensing to touch a laptop / computer and that the Communications Act 2003 does not cover this. So if you did by some miraculous form of bad luck end up with TVL on the doorstep with a SW and they ask you to demonstrate there are no live broadcasts etc then you are well within your legal rights to deny that request. If they tried without your permission this would be an offence under the Computer Misues Act 1990.

This is how I spend most of my life :ranger: