Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Employer not renewing a Fixed Term Contract but I am on a Permanent Contract so advice appreciated.

It's not that easy if you're dismissed either.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...een-dismissed/

The best reason would be the end of your fixed term contract, I imagine, but possibly the time for that has passed.

HB

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2016

Default Re: Employer not renewing a Fixed Term Contract but I am on a Permanent Contract so advice appreciated.

Sangie, I am doing my best against people in charge who have told untruths and are making things up as they go along. The Asst Head at the very first meeting when we discussed contracts stated that she would check with HR on what contract I was on and she did and that's when she found out. That's before I did anything so HR came back about the contract before I sent any letter so regardless of whether I sent a letter or not HR had already spoken to the Asst Head about it and told her I was not on a Fixed Term. The letter I wrote was actually "accepting" their terms and wanting everything in writing and I was advised to send it to the Asst Head, The Head, HR and my Line Manager. So as I say regardless of letter or no letter HR knew and had discussed with them before I did anything. I misworded a previous post.

BTW Thank you HB.

your posts 33 and 42 about if you signed anything contradict each other

By "accepting" their offer you have effectively signed away any rights of protection you had - you were out of probation by defaut and you've put yourself back in.

Stop expecting HR to help. They are there for the employer, not you.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Emmzzi I didn't contradict myself. I haven't signed anything "they" have given me, all I did after being advised to make a peaceful exit and accept the Managements terms was to send a letter accepting their verbal offer and asking for the terms in writing. As for the probation my 6 month probation was due in June anyway so I wasn't effectively out of probation by default. I had "passed" three months but as I say 6 months was/is in June. And I'm not expecting HR to help, I contacted HR after advice in Post 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Max1968 View Post
    Emmzzi I didn't contradict myself. I haven't signed anything "they" have given me, all I did after being advised to make a peaceful exit and accept the Managements terms was to send a letter accepting their verbal offer and asking for the terms in writing.

And they have noew retracted that? 100%?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Emmzzi View Post
    And they have noew retracted that? 100%?

I have absolutely no idea I haven't had a say on it. I was after reading advice on here accepting to go (and still am) with the quiet exit and accept the terms, hence the letter, because I needed clarification in writing re time off for interviews, no money owed and a neutral reference as I had been told. I would then go at the end of July, end of June, whenever they wanted. I would have been stupid only to have accepted it verbally because I had nothing in writing.

After the Asst Head had talked to HR about the contract that's when HR told them they had to honour the permanent contract and that's when it snowballed into this probation fiasco which I can't pass probably because I was already told there are no vacancies that I can apply for next year. I haven't even as yet been asked if I am happy with that or been asked to sign anything to state that it's just been thrust upon me that because they have to honour the contract I have now got these impossible probation targets to meet. As I say I wasn't given the training as you would have done if it had been a permanent position. I didn't know any different I assumed we were all singing from the same hymn sheet until two weeks ago so without the 6 months correct training some of the targets are impossible to meet in 3 weeks.

Ideally I just want to say "Look there has been some confusion, I was accepting the Fixed Terms and was willing to go but wanted clarification on the three points above but HR have now said that the school has to honour the contract and give me a probation that is obviously a lot of unnecessary pointless work for both the school and myself considering my level of training and the fact that there are no vacancies anyway. Can I ask for a contract change acceptable to all parties that I will work until the school wants me to work as a Fixed Period Contract or whatever they want to call it then leave with no monies owed, a neutral reference and time off for interviews as originally offered by the Assistant Head as a clean break for both parties."

Not necessarily worded like that but you get the gist. The contract states that it can be changed if agreeable to both parties. But I haven't a clue who to approach with this. A quiet word with the Asst Head on her own or to HR or to both at the same time as I don't want to go behind anyone's back which I haven't done in this whole saga.

You've nothing at all to lose by asking - do you?

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Not at all but who would you ask, The Asst Head? HR? Both at the same time?

I'd ask the head. HR are just going to make sure he does it legally. They dont decide anything.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

The Head hasn't dealt with anything it's all been done by the Asst Head so did you mean her or go to the Head? I don't want to go behind her back.

The Head hasn't dealt with anything it's all been done by the Asst Head so did you mean her or go to the Head? I don't want to go behind her back.

Whoever makes the actual decisions. Tell whoever you need to upfront before ou go for a chat. I don't know any of them and got really confused by who did what in your posts.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Well The Assistant Head is the issue but has been dealing with all the meetings, letters and targets. The Head I haven't seen at all. HR got involved after the Assistant Head checked with them about my contract and my Line Manager has been a witness at all meetings except for the first. So I'll go and ask the Assistant Head and have my Line Manager there as a witness so to speak. Thank you.

Well The Assistant Head is the issue but has been dealing with all the meetings, letters and targets. The Head I haven't seen at all. HR got involved after the Assistant Head checked with them about my contract and my Line Manager has been a witness at all meetings except for the first. So I'll go and ask the Assistant Head and have my Line Manager there as a witness so to speak. Thank you.

Your decision; I'm just offering opinions. You haven't seemed to want to have a frank conversation so far so don't let me push you into it.

I don't think this kind of conversation goes well with a witness though. It's more off the record exploration; witnesses put it on the record...

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

No problem thank you I'll just ask the Assistant Head.

Basic Account Holder

All sorted they are instructing payroll to issue me with a Fixed term contract to the end of July, as was originally their intention and they have also taken steps to ensure that the action to end the contract on will not result in any over payment to me or the need for me to make up any shortfall. Interview time and a neutral reference also accepted and will be allowed to leave early if a new job comes up. Thanks for those who advised. Apologies if I was hard work my head has just been a mess the last couple of weeks.

That sounds like a very good result

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Emmzzi View Post
    That sounds like a very good result

Yep, I'll take it!!!!

Excellent. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Max.

HB

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee13 View Post
    Excellent. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Max.

HB

thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details