Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    TaraLlama Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : May 2018

Default Restaurant working

My daughter's been working in a local restaurant for the last few months as a waitress. She quite enjoys it, but last night was asked to work in the kitchens. She didn't mind, but has to change into whites to work in the kitchens, and its normally only male staff who work in there and they just get changed into whites in the corridor outside the kitchen. My daughter was expected to do the same, as they don't have proper changing areas. Do others think this is acceptable, or should she have kicked up a fuss?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    sgtbush Novitiate sgtbush Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2012

Default Re: Restaurant working

I take it its a small place. Yes in the ideal world there should be changing rooms and lockers but in the real world it doesn't happen.
    She could of gone to the female toilets for some privacy, just like the males can do if they want to.

Basic Account Holder
    TaraLlama Novitiate

I did mention about going to the toilets to change, but there's only one toilet for all staff, its too small and they don't like staff leaving the kitchen area in their whites for hygiene reasons. Apparently the men have always just got changed in the corridor, no one has ever minded before and its always just been accepted practice. But my daughter was obviously just a bit shy having to get undressed, but hopefully it won't happen too often!

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    sgtbush Novitiate sgtbush Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2012

If the management dont like the staff leaving thekitchen for hygiene reasons, how do they go to the toilet?

Use the customer toilet (female)
    If management kick up a fuss tell them to provide private changing facilites.
    A corridor is not acceptable for a changing room.

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

can she wear them to travel to work? If she goes on the bus the answer will be no but travel by private car and problem solved.
    Also agree with sgtbush though, use the customer toilets if above isnt a solution

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    king12345 Informative king12345 Informative king12345 Informative king12345 Informative

Cagger since : May 2007

Many moons ago when i was a young boy i worked in a similar situation and when the only two girls had to get changed we would leave the kitchen for a few minutes so they could get ready.
    At the end of the shift they would change in the toilet.
    She could ask to do the same, after all it's only a couple of minutes.

Basic Account Holder
    TaraLlama Novitiate

Thanks for people's responses. Unfortunately she can't travel to and from work in whites, and anyway doesn't know if she's expected to work in the kitchen until she's at work anyway. Hopefully it won't happen too often!

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details