Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    mrbounce Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jul 2013

Default Purchased Merc Which was advertised as full main dealer history but didn't have

Hi

We purchased a used Mercedes about 2 months ago, and it was advertised as having full main dealer history.

We recently serviced it at a main dealer and it came to light that it doesn't have. Main dealer history however it seems to have been done at decent garages as it shows on merc systems that the services have been done when required.

I have taken this up with the dealer I purchased it from and they have offered 150 to settle the complaint. The vehicle is a 2014 plate. I have a recording of the call when I enquired about the car and v they said it had full main dealer merc history and also a copy of the video they made for me to see before I went to view it which also says full main dealer history on there too.

Would this be classed as mis selling and should I / could I go for more than 150?

Gold Account Holder king12345 Informative king12345 Informative king12345 Informative king12345 Informative

Cagger since : May 2007

Default Re: Purchased Merc Which was advertised as full main dealer history but didn't have

You have to find out the difference in price between full main dealer history and backstreet garages history.
    Then you ask for that price plus a bit more for having lied to you.
    If they don't play ball, reject the car and tell them you want a full refund.
    Anyhow, they told you that the car had fsh without showing you any documentation.
    I would have walked away, why didn't you?

Basic Account Holder
    mrbounce Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by king12345 View Post
    You have to find out the difference in price between full main dealer history and backstreet garages history.
    Then you ask for that price plus a bit more for having lied to you.
    If they don't play ball, reject the car and tell them you want a full refund.
    Anyhow, they told you that the car had fsh without showing you any documentation.
    I would have walked away, why didn't you?
    They showed us the service history printouts and were on Mercedes headed paper so we kind of trusted them.

The dealership is a big dealership with many mercedes and BMW dealerships etc so you would think the info they gave sad correct.

How do we find out the value of the history?

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

Default Re: Purchased Merc Which was advertised as full main dealer history but didn't have

You should certainly find out the difference between a vehicle with a full history and one without.
    I also think you need to calculate the difference in value between your vehicle as it is and if it was returned to the dealer so that it had one extra owner.
    It may well be that you are entitled to reject the vehicle because it is not as describedicon. The dealer would then have to take into account the reduction in value because he would then have a vehicle on his hands which should have an extra owner and extra mileage.
    I think these considerations would prompt the dealer to offer much better than 150 which I think is a derisory figure anyway.
    Who is the dealer and how much money did you pay?

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder king12345 Informative king12345 Informative king12345 Informative king12345 Informative

Cagger since : May 2007

Are you saying that they showed you a falsified service history?
    Have you got a copy?

Basic Account Holder
    mrbounce Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by king12345 View Post
    Are you saying that they showed you a falsified service history?
    Have you got a copy?
    The dealer is inchape.

No not falsified copy but it seems as though maybe a duplicate copy of the history was printed at a mercedes dealer that's all.

Basic Account Holder
    mrbounce Novitiate

Where could I see what the value of the history would be?

Also is there anybody I could goto like Ombudsmanicon you have in banking if they don't make a better offer to resolve?

Basic Account Holder
    colin11 Informative colin11 Informative colin11 Informative colin11 Informative colin11's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2014

So from reading the original post, The car still has a full service history, Just not a main dealer service history

For its service history to be on Mercedes's system, Then it must have been serviced at a Mercedes approved garage using original parts

i doubt there would be a huge price difference, Perhaps 50 a service

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details