• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Debt in UAE chased in UK - through unlawful dissmissal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there CAG Community!

So relieved there is hope out there - CAG!!

In a nutshell, I have lived in Abu Dhabi, UAE, for many, many years.. I had a credit card and a loan, of those in the know, is a must if you are in need of renting any property as x2 payments up-front are needed..Anyways, long story short, I have always paid my loans/CC's on time, every time.

In Dec 2017, I was unfairly dismissed, (part of the emiritization restructuring) and was given 3-hours notice to leave.sad.gif

Contravened Labor Law, thus was unlawful (which didn't make a difference) desperately tried to fight for my End of Service benefits, notice monies etc... which all went down the 'inshallah' road.angry.gif

Time and money ran out, I have had to leave Abu Dhabi as could no longer stay live there with my wife/kids as had no income.. Had to return to the UK in Feb 2018. Thus defaulting on monthly payments.

Total debt; in the region of AED123k, approx £22k excluding the ungoverned interest rates

Right, to the point; I have received an email from a collections agency couple days ago.

The email is as follows:

Dear xxxxx,

First Abu Dhabi Bank (PJSC), Unique Identification Number xxxxxx

We have been instructed by First Abu Dhabi Bank (PJSC) (the merger of First Gulf Bank and National Bank of Abu Dhabi) in the Middle East to deal with a number of liabilities owed by individuals resident here in the UK. All of our work in this respect is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (under FCA licence number 737367).

A liability in your name features on a portfolio which we have been instructed to manage. We have been provided with this email address for you, so our intention is for all communications to be directed to this address. That said, we know and are sensitive to the fact that debt is a serious and very worrying issue for many people - so we do not want to increase that burden by communicating with you through inconvenient channels.

Accordingly, if you do not want to be contacted via this email address, please let us have an alternative means of communication, within the next 7 days; either a telephone number, another email address or a residential postal address.

If you do not take up this opportunity to direct us down a particular communication path (or paths) then we will assume that the continued use of this email address for communication is acceptable to you going forward.

Please telephone us on 01494 911099 within the next 7 days. Our operators are here to help you Monday to Friday between 9am and 5.30pm. Please quote the above Unique Identification Number when you call.

Please note that there is free debt advice available for anybody in the UK who needs it. This resource is available from the following organisations, amongst others:

citizensadvise and moneyadviceservice

Ignore them all

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Chelsea05,

Great to see I am not the only one here!!

If you dont mind my asking, was correspondence done purely through email?

As I have been away for some time, I have not yet established myself properly here yet, and doubt they would have my address... I suppose this is a good thing?

They aill use any or all methods

Stuff all they can do

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Surely there must be a 'turning/escalation' point!? I doubt these agencies would stop at simply not getting a response.

When they claim (on their website)t o have 20-30 successful monthly convictions, surely this has not transpired through 'ignoring them.'

Unless of course, that statement is ridiculously false, then there is cause for concern that perhaps silence would only yield a legal intervention from them?

I am clutching at straws here - I do not want to have to go through this, we have been through enough over last few months... But I will fight the fight if needed!

Just need to get my facts right and true. Hence I am here

Go read chelsea's thread and learn....

and they

I have had stuff through the post too, Coyle Whyte Devine are the latest so don't be alarmed if you receive anything from them. They sent me credit card statements the lot and said I have 30 days to pay or respond. but please look at my thread too as this will give you more information.

Thank you for that Chelsea05

On the back of your thread I have done a little searching, and interestingly, IDRWW and CWD share the same director.

This appears to be a whole house of one enterprise solutions, comprising 3 people. Not a vast network i envisioned..

Now I see the relation of escalation from Debt collection to Legal application, all under one roof.

I have gone through your thread, and although I am in the interim stages, I can say I do feel more confident of my standing. The advice to 'ignore' seems so much more appealing.

I shall keep this thread updated on developments. Whatever they may be...

When they claim (on their website)t o have 20-30 successful monthly convictions, surely this has not transpired through 'ignoring them.'

Debt in the UK is not a criminal matter and you cannot be "convicted" for it (and I couldn't find that claim on their UK website when I looked, but I may have missed it).

I did find this article though which explains that debt is (or can be) a criminal offence in UAE.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/stirling-och-partners/blog_posts/uk-lawyers-coyle-white-devine-chase-uae-bank-customer-for-300000-pounds-over-a-3000-pounds-decade-old-debt-68457

The article suggest that because debt is a criminal offence in UAE it's possible for the creditor bank to use the European procedures for enforcing criminal law judgements or for apprehending people wanted for criminal offences in UAE. It's a subject I have zero knowledge or experience of but am posting to flag the article and see if anyone with expertise can anything further on this point?

Hi there Tobewan,

As I am in a similar situation as yourself, I am anxious to know if there has been any development since your last post? If so, what has transpired to date?

Thanks Tobe

Dear chelsea05, I too have been trawling the web... I am just going to air my brief thoughts on what I have trawled through thus far... One grey area in particular does stand out:

Would the T&C's of credit agreement - a jurisdiction clause which will clearly state that the debt is enforceable in any jurisdiction... Question remains, is this clause enforceable/applicable or even actionable in the UK?

As idrww & CDW share the same director - I believe their 'inhouse' progression phase to be -

1. Idrww issues the intent of collecting a debt - on behalf of UAE bank instructions (standard letters go out etc, etc)
  2. CDW kickoff legal proceedings - this is the grey area, is their 'Ace card' based purely on the 'enforceable jurisdiction' clause?
  3. CDW then follow-up through in-house legal proceedings- with x2 options, either pay up or lose everything 0% negotiation - or do they commence? Is this pure scaremonger? As dx100uk would say; 'willy waving.' Although I have yet to come across a UAE Debt collector's success case. Cases were Bankruptcy, and/or CCJ's were allegedly enforced were most likely acted out through no defense from the defendant?

The above is purely where I am seeing things from the balance of what I have read... I am certain the good people of CAG can and will expand upon or clarify my understanding!

Neither own the debt

Neither can do neither

and they

Would not give them anymore legal powers as they have none in the first place

No DCA nor their fake/tame solicitors have any legal powers..they are not bailiffs.

and they

True dx100uk, very true... But can the Creditor (who is the owner of the debt) initiate legal debt recovery proceedings via a uk lawyer, say CDW for example on their behalf?

No they have no jurisdiction

and they

Numerous posts on other members threads moved to your existing thread

Please keep to your own thread

and they

No they have no jurisdiction

Exactly what I thought dx100uk, but what about the T&C's of the credit agreement, notably the jurisdiction clause which state that the debt is enforceable in any jurisdiction... would that not then be relevant and applicable in the UK?

Well if that were so

Then why havent they done so to date?

Because they cant ...else by now over the several 100's of like threads here. ONE person would have told us so....and none have.

Might be better to switch off worrying now as you are tying yourself up in pointless knots about a nothing..

and they

Extremely valid point dx100uk!!

Btw - do you EVER sleep!?!

I commend your support to the cause/fight, truly admirable. Thank you, and thank you CAG

I shall, of course try and refrain from taking over other's threads.. guess i did get carried away.

I shall, without fail, keep all involved updated on ANY developments, no matter how small... x

:madgrin:

and they