Stung by Copart - vehicle Sold as Unrecorded but Cat B in Australia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CarTrader89,

have you had any luck in sorting out this situation with copart

I also purchased a Australian import from copart and I myself is in the same dilemma as you,

I’m thinking about taking them to court

Edited by Cheung1234

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but when a vehicle is listed as status unrecorded you must take it that the history is unknown and assume every potential outcome, Including its crash history. Copart are not DVLA and don’t have the same resources as the DVLA as to research their history prior to granting a V5C. You will have to prove to a court that Copart mid advertised the vehicle hard to do when they list it as unrecorded history unknown

I'm not sure I agree with you DarkAtmosphere.

I have the exact same situation where I have bought a car listed as Category U - Used Unrecorded, I am not doubting that Category U is a category to be wary of but my issue is, having applied to the DVLA to have my car registered they have told me that the car IS recorded and was been listed as a write off in the New State of South Wales in Australia. I am now left with a Q plate for a £30,000 car.

Your description of Category U is indeed correct but my point, and I believe CarDealer89's point is that Copart have sold a car as 'Unrecorded' when in fact my car IS recorded, it is recorded as being a write off further to an insurance claim in Australia.

I agree that they do not have the same facilities as DVLA, I am not disputing that either, but it does not take away form the fact that the car was not an Unrecorded vehicle and unless they have done the checks under the DVLA, which they haven't, then they have mis-sold me the car by listing is as an Unregistered.

If they do not wish to undertake such extensive searches through the DVLA for the car history (and I am not saying that legally they have to) then that's fine but then don't go on to list a vehicle that has a recognized recorded history as being unrecorded - this is misrepresentation. Either do the checks through DVLA to see the recorded status of the vehicle, or state that the checks have not been done and no categorization can be given. Listing a car as being Unrecorded when it has a recorded history is a clear breach and encourages mis-selling of vehicles.

Again I feel your pain but your going to have to prove in a court that unknown history is a term that is in some way mislead you.

Co part has no obligation to pre check their vehicles the only check they have to perform is one a legal obligation to ensure legal entitlement to sell the vehicle.

DVLA didn’t know about this car till your registration application which prompted a check by the DVLA to the Australian counter parts that provided the information that resulted in your bad news.

As Copart was not going to the registered keeper a mere standard history check like any other vehicle in the uk would have drawn a blank as the DVLA would not have held anything on file they would not have even kown the car was in the country so a basic DVLA check would have resulted in a 0 return as the car at that time a unknown entity to the DVLA an unrecorded vehicle.

The fact you attempted to register the car in the uk for the first time proves that it is an unknown vehicle prior and during your purchase of it and the in-depth checks the DVLA has to do so prior to your registration there was no file

Of its history know to the DVLA.

Therefore at the time and that fact that 1 check only need be performed prior to sale and the fact that the co listed it’s history as unknown your going to

Going to be hard pressed to get anywhere in court. But I bid you good luck

In you attempt and please comeback and let know how you got on.