Moved into council home with rats

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Asking on behalf of someone I met earlier today.

They moved into a council house 2 to 3 weeks back and have a problem with rats getting into the kitchen and bathroom via existing holes in the kitchen floor. Rats have been present in the rooms at the same time as the residents.

The council advised they offer no free pest control service but the tenants can pay for the council to visit at a cost of nearly £50.

Does the council not have a duty to deal with this as the problem was present when the tenancy started.

And, if the council has such a duty, can someone quote the legislation so the tenants can take this back to the council.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi slick

What the council are trying to do is pull a fast one to get the tenant to pay for something ultimately they already knew about befor the tenants even moved in or should have known about if a proper inspection of the property had been done.

They will try and worm there way out of this blaming the tenants will different reason but don't let them especially since they have only been in that property 2-3 weeks max and they have had the issue from the start.

I hope the tenants have reported all the disrepair issues to the council housing repairs.

What they now need to do is to exhaust the HA complaints procedure and when done onto the housing ombudsman. (I know this all takes time and they want the rats gone).

Make sure and title the Letter 'Formal Complaint' and explain the disrepair issues that HA should have been aware of and the rat issue and that you require then to sort the disrepair and rats issue as a matter of urgency and Health & Safety. (You send this letter not to the council but specifically the council housing)

Due to this you also require copies of the following:

1. Complaints Policy (not the leaflet)

2. Customer Care Policy (not the leaflet)

3. Health & Safety Policy (not the leaflet)

4. Repairs & Maintenance Policy (not the leaflet)

5. Void Property Report for your property before you took tenancy.

6. Pre-Inspection Report for your property before you moved in.

(No. 6 above is important because if the disrepairs that are causing the rats to enter the tenant have reported are not in this report it question the standards of the Pre Inspection and use it against them)

Disrepair - infestations of pests and vermin: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/disrepair-common-problems/disrepair-infestations-of-pests-and-vermin/

Pests and vermin infestations in rented homes: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/pests_and_vermin_infestations_in_rented_homes

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your input that the tenants will find very useful, I'm sure.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

The council will try and play hard ball that they have to pay but you fight it with the council housing side.

You use the council housings own policies and procedures against them, simply just think to yourself even when reading the policies I mentioned to ask for 'Did They Do That' if not highlight it as you go, you then have a list from there own policies and procedures to use against them.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Hi Stu,

They could call by phone initially but, if the council fails to agree to get the rats sorted v quickly at the council's expense, then written comm'ns should follow - is that ok ?

After that, all comm'ns be by letter or is email ok ?

Any phone communication if you can't record the call makes sure and follow it up with a letter in writing refering to the date and time of that specific call. (make sure and keep a log of all communication

Thanks again

Why haven't we been told which Council this is that it expects its tenants to live with rats?

Are you trying to protect them?

Erm, this is someone we met in a DIY store and she asked for advice and I'm a bit of a Rodent Expert.

I don't want to disclose any detail until the tenant says that's ok.

Hi slick

Completely understand have had that happen to myself a few times.

It would be useful though if we did know which council housing.

We need to remember and separate the council from council housing (yes it may still be council run but council housing is classed as social housing and the council housing should also be a Registered Social Landlord (RSL))