Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : May 2018

Default Employer lied before interview, disadvantaging myself

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and have a query about an interview I attended in the UK.
    The hiring manager beforehand said certain questions would be asked a specific test would be given.
    I was disadvantaged compared to other candidates when I spent so much time preparing only to discover on the day that the test and questions were completely different, hence why I was unsuccessful in landing the job.

Also, an interview question was more restrictive when asked to myself compared to other interviewees.

Is there a potential case I can bring to an employment tribunal to seek compensation (i.e. relating to Negligent Misstatement, fraud, etc.)?

Default Re: Employer lied before interview, disadvantaging myself

Nope..not a thing you can do. Better luck next time

Basic Account Holder

Hi,

Why is that? Also, do you have a legal background?

Hello and Welcome o_a

I've moved this thread to the Employment Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.
    If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert
    Follows
    Following

You werent employed by the company... So an employment tribunal wouldnt touch this.

Basic Account Holder

Hi fkofilee,

I don't understand how an employment tribunal would apply if, for example, I was discriminated by a company that didn't employ me, but it wouldn't apply for the specific situation I am in. Any idea why?

So from your answer, I assume what they did was perfectly legal?

Why wouldnt it be legal? You're basically saying you want to sue them or claim against them simply because you didn't pass an interview

If you can prove that you were put at disadvantage DELIBERATELY by the hiring manager, than you might have a case.
    However proving that (and note the word in capital letters) would be quite a challenge.

Not a jot you can do. They don't owe you anything.
    Maybe the company did this to everyone to put everyone in the same boat to make them think on their feet.
    What if you got the job and someone Sai that they were disadvantaged because you had prior knowledge and therefore an advantage.

The only time a tribunal would touch this is if you had a protected characteristic case or disadvantaged because of a disability

i have applied for jobs, been interviewed and was told I had got the role, references taken up etc and then the employer changed their mind and promoted someone internally or gave to job to a more local person to save relocation expenses.
    Can I sue them for the cost of my new interview suit that was obviously wasted? No.

How would you know that a question was more restrictive than the ones asked other interviewees? was it all conducted in an open office with everyone giving verbal responses at the same time?
    Sorry, you didnt get the job and they use various methods of staff selection and n this occasion someone esle happened to preform better than you didn on the day

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Aug 2017

Quote Originally Posted by o_a View Post
    Hi fkofilee,

I don't understand how an employment tribunal would apply if, for example, I was discriminated by a company that didn't employ me, but it wouldn't apply for the specific situation I am in. Any idea why?

So from your answer, I assume what they did was perfectly legal?
    You : hello I would like to complain that this company told me all the questions to the interview beforehand and then the actual questions were wrong!

Then: so you tried cheating and are now moaning because the questions were different?

You: ermmmm.. yes?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbush View Post
    Not a jot you can do. They don't owe you anything.
    Maybe the company did this to everyone to put everyone in the same boat to make them think on their feet.
    What if you got the job and someone Sai that they were disadvantaged because you had prior knowledge and therefore an advantage.

The only time a tribunal would touch this is if you had a protected characteristic case or disadvantaged because of a disability
    Edit on last bit..
    Protected characteristic or disability and it was directly used to disadvantage /discriminate/ segregate against you.

Ie you cant have this job because your in a wheelchair
    Or
    You canr have tho job because your a catholic

Unless the job was for cyclist courier and you're on a wheelchair or an imam at the mosque and you're catholic.
    There are boundaries to discrimination.
    I'm stating the obvious 😁

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details