Failed to inform united utilities I'd moved in - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

18 months ago I moved out of my parents house into my first flat (renting)

I thought that I'd set up all of my payments (gas, electric, council tax etc),

Today I received a letter from united utilities saying they have recently found that my address is occupied and are going to send me a water bill.

I've looked over my previous statements, and yes, I didn't inform UU that I'd moved in. I know this was extremely stupid!

Obviously I have to ring them and sort this out, I have the money to pay for 18 months worth of bills, but am just afraid of what to expect when I call.

Will they threaten me with legal action over failing to disclose my address?

Will it affect my credit rating?

if I ring them tomorrow to get this sorted, apologise and offer to pay in full,

what kind of backlash/penalties can I expect?

There will be no penalties or backlash. Don't worry. They will be very pleased that you are taking ownership of the problem and you are paying in full. Just make sure that the payment doesn't dance.

As you've just moved out of your parents house, I take it that you're quite young and inexperienced at this kind of thing.

Firstly, make sure you don't do this kind of thing again.

Secondly, if you move address then always make sure that you notify everyone of your new address – otherwise somebody who thinks you owe the money, will end up issuing a claim against your old address and there will be a judgement against you without you knowing it. Then the first thing that happens will be that you discover there is on your credit file and your credit history is blighted for six years.

Thirdly, if you cancel any accounts, for instance to move to a different company, don't cancel the direct debits until you are sure that the account has been properly closed. Companies are often extremely inefficient and you may feel that you have closed an account that there is a tiny bit left over – or the company has failed to close the account properly and there still taking money from your direct debit. If they find that your direct debit has been cancelled then they will consider that you owe them money and they will then move into recovery mode and blight your credit file.

If you ever change suppliers anything, leave the old direct debit open for at least two or three months until you are sure that they are not trying to take any more money from you. Then you can close it down. If you find that money has been taken from you and they shouldn't have done, it is much easier to get it back from them later than to have to deal with their debt collection departments which operate like automated dinosaurs and never listen to what you have to say.

Finally, if you get into any problems with anyone – come here and tell us about it.

Finally finally – read our customer services guide. Implement the advice there. If you don't then one day you will be very sorry. Always record your calls with any company – utilities, mobile companies, banks, insurance companies – everything. Read our customer services guide

There will be no penalties or backlash. Don't worry. They will be very pleased that you are taking ownership of the problem and you are paying in full. Just make sure that the payment doesn't dance.

Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel a lot better! I'll get it sorted tomorrow, and thanks for all the extra advice, its good stuff to know.

Excellent advice. I would close the thread now BF as I think you have covered it. Job done.

:???:

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Just a quick update. I called UU on Saturday and explained the situation, they were remarkably reasonable about it, even said it wasn't a problem. I'm now paid up to date and have a DD set up. There were no penalty fees or anything.

Thanks for the calming comments, and advice!