Question about TV Licence

Zinnia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

4 months ago I moved into my new home that already had a dish and aerial attached.

I haven't had a TV for years so got out of the habit of watching TV (and I don't miss it!).

I do have a laptop, ipad and mobile phone (laptop is used for business and ipad used to watch youtube sometimes and play music).

I have received several letters from TV licensing and an officer visited last week but I wasn't in.

The following day I received a letter (addressed to dear sir/madam) saying that an officer visited and that they will be proceeding to the final stages of their investigation. One of the options states "we can apply to court for a search warrant to gain access to your property".

I ignored the previous letters as they weren't addressed to me and wasn't aware that I needed to respond. This last letter has made me quite angry so I want to know if they really have the power to obtain a search warrant to look for a TV?

If this is true then I'm absolutely astounded that they have such powers for something so minor.

This seems very draconian to me!

Please move this post if I've posted it in the wrong place as I wasn't sure.

They do have the power to apply for a search warrant.

To stand any chance of being granted one they’d have to explain to a Magistrate why they were SURE you were watching TV that you needed a licence for, (and not just “I heard a TV programme and saw flickering lights”, that might be you watching YouTube!)

So, along with much of the TVL letters : intended to scare people who need a TV licence. If you don’t : continue to ignore.

Bear in mind, if a TVL goon comes round (without a warrant and a police officer - who’d be there to ensure no breach of the peace, nothing more!), they have no more power or authority than if I knocked on your door.

Don’t engage with them beyond “I don’t need a TV licence for what I do watch, thank you” as you close the door .....

Do what I do....file the letters in the bin!

If they do catch you in, say nothing, sign nothing! better still when they identify as from TVL shut the door! less said the better!

Its quite normal when a home becomes vacant and the previous occupier stops payment...you will be bombarded until a payment is in place...assuming you wish to pay for a licence..otherwise as advised file them all away......Dear Occupier means nothing.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you to you all for your replies.

It's unlikely that I'll have any interaction with an agent because I don't usually open my door to unexpected callers. Initially, I did think about contacting them to let them know why I don't need one but the more I read their threatening letter the more it annoyed me. Also, if I did contact them then that would probably open a can of worms as they'd have my name and would probably keep writing to check if anything has changed.

:thumb: I bet you have also been bombarded with Sky and Virgin TV /Broadband offers...somewhere along the line someone passes data on of vacated properties /new owners...same goes for TV Licencing.....hence the " Dear Occupier ":wink:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I have literally hundreds of these dumb letters they send, I've filed them all over the last few years into box folders, look forward to their silly missives every month, just to see if they change their threat language, but no, it is always the same rubbish.

You can firmly IGNORE, and you are under absolutely no obligation, legal or otherwise, to inform them you don't need a licence, as for anyone knocking your door with clipboard in hand, laugh and shut the door.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I run a business and they send me at regular intervals demands I pay for a TV Licence - as there is no TV on the premises then I don't need one. They have sent me lots of letters that have red borders - very scary, lots telling me I am under investigation - even scarier & now tell me I am at imminent risk of having a visit from an Enforcement Officer. Yes I could ring them but don't see why I should as it all kicks off again after 2 years anyway. I have better things to do than chase round after them - the address they have should be a giveaway but there again they never did do joined up thinking.

Forgot to say this has been going on for 15 years so far - Visits = 0.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I understand it, IF they call you are not obliged to speak to them, just shut the door say nothing

Dont go down the route of "Withdrawing right of Access" they can get a name from that and can if so inclined apply for a warrant, but as above say nothing, sign nothing, dont give any identity, dont let them in and shut the door