• Tweets

• Your page numbers should run through your WX and exhibits so im concerned its page x of 9.
    • Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Swamped into debt with Halifax. Combo of Loan & OD

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

Was hoping for a bit of advice on what to do it this situation, it’s my husband’s Halifax account,

He has a loan with them for approx £6k and a £1.2k overdraft which as we all know is subject to the recent adjustment in charges.

My husband is self employed and had a run of a bad few weeks due to injury, this was the start of the problems. He cannot keep up with the charges anymore and the loan payment combined,

He has opened a new bank account to be paid into and now we need to tackle the combined Halifax debt.

I’m going to help him draft a letter. I don’t know if it would be best to just write to them regarding the full amount owing (loan and OD) explain he is in financial difficulty and make an offer to pay something per month - The offer won’t be as much as the monthly loan instalment & OD charged that they would have normally taken.

What sort of action would they take ? (I know they won’t be happy with this offer) and would they freeze interest or the daily OD rate from accruing?

Really don’t know how to tackle this,

Any advice much appreciated.

Please will you give us more details about the loans and also the charges

What kinds of loans were there and when where they taken out?

Is his injury short-term? His loan may have the option of taking a one month repayment holiday.

It maybe possible to refinance the loan (possibly incorporating the overdraft too) to one with a lower monthly payment.

I'm not sure if opening a separate account is the best idea as the higher the overdraft amount the higher the daily charge will be. Although no further overdraft charges apply once you reach the limit.

If you do go down the "financial difficulty" route they will consider his situation. They may agree to a payment plan with a reduced monthly repayment, suspension of interest & charges etc. Though this would be on a case-by-case basis and would need to be supported with a review of his income and expenditure. This arrangement is likely to be reflected on his credit report too.

Opening a 'Parachute' account IS a very good idea!

Banks like to take everything that goes into the account regardless of your financial situation, so YES open a separate account with a different banking group, YOU are then in control.

Definitely write to the bank and outline your financial situation and state that you are having difficulties due to injury and being self employed.

I hope there ian't any PPI on this loan??

Is it a secured loan?

As for the OD, using the harship rules, you will be able to reclaim any fees/charges reducing the amount owed, AND they 'should' stop interest and fees allowingyou to reduce the balance,

if they don't then you only pay £1 a month for the life of the debt.

Please answer BF's questions in post 2 ..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for all the replies.

His injury was for 3 weeks in October with an ankle injury (better now) , then he has to have two weeks off over Xmas because the building site he works on was closed so that was five weeks money we were down. At the time I was on JSA so we were really struggling. (I am working again now)

He did have repayment holidays which he used when he could, I think

thats why the debt hasn’t reduced much.

The loan is a clarity loan, no ppi. Taken out in 2016 I think. It was for around £7.5k but it’s only reduced to around £6k (maybe a bit under) due to him missing payments etc.

He hasn’t missed every instalment since then but every time he gets paid they take a chunk of money for charges and also the OD daily rate which started late last year. The OD daily rate is usually around £1.40 per day.

The loan is unsecured.

We thought about refinancing but his credit file is rubbish due to the late payments (there’s also a credit card which suffered but we are dealing with)

It’s this halifax account that’s caused the problems, it just doesn’t seem to get anywhere when we throw money at it so I thought the best idea would be to just stop using it and try and get it all dealt with separately while he gets paid to another account. .

I think I’ve answered everything. I’m on my phone so going to read through all your replies again when I’ve submitted this answer.

Excellent, that's a lot clearenow.

OK get in touch with Halifax, IN WRITING, and inform them that you are having 'some' financial difficulty, they 'should' help customers, but we all know they couldn't care less.

Definitely open another account and have everything paid into there, this will stop the bank from taking what they want when they want, and will often make them sit up and take notice of you when they realise their profit stream has dried up.

How much of this OD is the banks fees/charges?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The agreed OD was set at £1.2k.

They take the daily fee which is around £1.42 (percentage of what the OD is)

Then they were taking chunks of money like £40 here and there which I think was charges for going over the agreed OD. To be honest it’s all become such a mess we don’t know what they’re taking for what, it was so hard to get back to level with them constantly dipping in. We never knew how much money he has available because they were just takings I we couldn’t budget.

Ok so I’ll write to them and explain that he is in financial difficulty. Are there any specific templates I should follow or shall I just put something together? I had a quick look in library but couldn’t find anything.

I really appreciate this help.

We normally are ok for Xmas time off because we know it’s coming and put money aside

but that ankle injury he had really put us back so payments to the loan were either missed or paid late

and then the daily OD charges started around then

and before we knew it, it had become a mess.

Really scary how it catches up with you.

...inform them that you are having 'some' financial difficulty, they 'should' help customers, but we all know they couldn't care less...

This doesn't make sense. If you think they couldn't care less why are even suggesting the OP writes to them? By your logic that would be a complete waste of the OP's time.

This doesn't make sense. If you think they couldn't care less why are even suggesting the OP writes to them? By your logic that would be a complete waste of the OP's time.

That's a constructive comment....TY.

Because the OP needs a paper trail of evidence, when they dig their heels in down the line, it can be proved that the OP asked for help, and the bank failed once again.

That's a constructive comment....TY.

*sigh* All you had to do was explain your reasoning. I only questioned your comment as it seemed contradictory and could be misunderstood by others.

I don't need to explain anything thank you.

And yet in post #11 you did explain, so not sure what the point of your comment is. I guess you're just being stubborn.

And you always bat for the banks jane

Go play elsewhere if you can't help

CAG is about helping not kicking people

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

And you always bat for the banks jane

Nope. For me it's not about consumers vs the banks so I'm not on anyone's side. I just offer help to posters using my knowledge

Go play elsewhere if you can't help

CAG is about helping not kicking people

Excuse me? Bazooka Boo was the one making sarcastic remarks.

I gave some suggestions to the OP. However I can't see any contributions from you...

Thanks you for the links Bazooka Boo. I’m getting the letter done right now

Excellent, when you send it please ensure you get ''proof of posting'' which is FREE from the PO counter, just for your records.

And if you like, post up what you send them so others can can advise.....

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late response folks.

I have an update.

I wrote to halifax and explained our situation of not being able to afford the £188 loan repayment a month along with them constantly taking daily fees and swallowing up our money (never knowing where we are)

The letter was posted mid May. (Signed for)

Early June they wrote to us not acknowledging our previous letter.

I found this odd so I checked with Royal Mail and our letter never reached them (good job I sent it recorded)

So I sent a copy of the letter from May again (with a copy of the Royal Mail receipt as proof we had been in touch)

They eventually wrote back last week and acknowledge our financial difficult and enclosed an income expeonditure form,

I know it may sound daft but do we have to fill this out seeing as we’ve made a repayment offer of £200 per month. The offer was to cover the loan repayment and some of the Overdraft.

I’m not sure where I stand with this, is it better to give them all of our income/outgoing details or could it open a can of worms? Wouldn’t the offer be enough?

did you get that parachute account operational?

what letter did you send

the one we pointed too?

I will pay £xx for xxmts if you freeze int/penalties?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi DX

The letter is on my pc at work (I meant to get a copy off) but yeh I did ask that they freeze interest/penalties and made the offer. Explained that we will never dig our way out of it if not and said it was a reasonable offer.

I also mentioned that our problems came when they changed the terms of their OD and that it left us with no money to live on sometimes and that we couldn’t budget because it was so erratic.

Parachute account is up and running 👍🏽

sure read upload

and they

upload sorted

thread tidied

there is no legal emit to send them any I+E

you have made the offer

if they fail to comply then the second letter in the same library needs to be sent.

and they