Expired MOT on stored car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi caggers, i can't find a definitive answer online, so i ask you.

I have an old car that I'm fixing in my spare time.

It's insured and taxed, but the mot expired a few days ago.

It will take me another month or so until i finish fixing it and it is stored in a private garage.

Can i get a fine for an expired mot even though the car is not on the road?

Thanks

No.

Provded that the vehicle remains on private property, other than travelling directly to or from a pre-booked MOT test, or to a place of repair for any failure items, no offence is committed. You will, however, not be able to re-tax the vehicle if the current tax runs out before being tested (not that this would be a problem provided that you then SORNed it)

If you are concerned having seen that DVLA send penalty notices under the continuous insurance regulation, even for vehicles off the road, this has no bearing on MOT.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Thanks.

Tax was renewed last month while mot was still current as well as insurance.

I should be alright then.

Will pre-book mot when i finish fixing the car and drive straight there.

Apparently, and haven't checked exactly what they say but I think around the 23rd May new regs come in which redefine faults found.

I'm told MOT reports in relation to tests classify faults as minor, medium and serious with a serious meaning it can only be trailered away and can't be used on a public highway whatsoever even if travelling to get it repaired.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Will pre-book mot when i finish fixing the car and drive straight there.

It can be any MOT place, not necessarily the nearest. As long as it is pre-booked and you are reasonably en-route.

However you must go there directly. Breaking the journey and stopping off on the way there is not permitted.

king12345, as far as driving to the MOT station is concerned, it remains (will remain) as has always been. The concession is simply the being driven on the road without a valid mot being in force. It has always been that the vehicle must be roadworthy under the Contruction and Use Regs, with or without mot. The new classification is simply a re-defining of faults to clarify how they should be dealt with.

Years ago a red failore certificate was issued with a section banning the vehicle from being driven away. The MOT station could not physically stop the owner from doing so, but a subsequent prosecution for an unroadworthy vehicle would attract a higher penalty as the owner could not claim ignorance of the faults.

Obviously you will be preparing the vehicle to PASS the test, not use the tester to do your job of finding out what work it needs to pass, won't you?

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you